Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Time Travel! Yesterday's backup put back.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Vault Dweller said:
Sovard said:
Ah well, let's see how long VD mewls over something he supposedly cares so little about.
?
Cares little about what?

Just a few days ago you were saying that this didn't bother you, and how you weren't emotional. Clearly that is not the case. You're trying to put off some bravado, though you're hurt. You won't admit it... that's fine.

Quite a long fall from grace, isn't it? To go from some martyr for the community to crossing your arms and turning your head up at us. All I can say is get over it.
Are you an idiot, Sovard? No, seriously? What fall from grace? You mean losing the admin status? I wasn't aware that that was grace. I was never a martyr and never presented myself as such. I stated honestly what I want to do and gave the admin "council" time to react. They thought I went to far and that the site should be maintained as is. Fair enough.[/quote]

Really. You desire that power so goddamn much. So many people respected you, and now you're here with DU airing your dirty laundry. I'd say that's a fall from grace. Going from the word of God to someone just scraping by like the rest of us. At least you had the sense to ask the other admins before you Rexed out on us.

Anyway, work beckons.

Toodles, gentlemen. Enjoy your chest-beating.

Helton

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
So, having this love and affection for the site, I log in one day and see that revolution crap. Now, I would understand if NL& Co took over and change things to their likings: unbanned people, opened Retardo Land, even dumbfuck me. Fair game. They didn't stop there. They started trashing the site and turned it into a shithole in minutes. So, anyway, I'm looking at this shit with horror, feeling nothing but sadness, and then I see that some people are actually enjoying the ride. Some people think it's so fucking funny that they hurt themselves laughing. Do I really need to continue?

Yes, you do. Why would you consider banning me because I found something "fucking hilarious"? Because you felt it was at your expense? So the fuck what?

It wasn't, by the way. The filters were genius and only a dumbfuck would think the site would never recover. I feel a little bit guilty because my amusement came at the cost of Calis' and DU's time and effort, but it isn't enough to taint the experience.

As for what the Codex is to me and what I want the Codex to be. Once upon a time the Codex was known only as the most intelligent RPG discussion site on the net. It was a place to be if one wanted to learn about RPGs and mechanics, and often see discussions between the regulars and developers. Many people were intimidated to post because they weren't sure if they are knowledgeable enough to open their mouth. Such people took time to learn, to read first and make meaningful contributions later.

These days nobody is afraid to post. These days it's a lulz club. People took "it's hard to get banned from the Codex", which was always a reference to the tolerance of different, well formulated and presented opinions, as a personal challenge. How far do I need to go to get banned?

I'm not seeing it, VD. People take your antagonistic attitude and provocation as a challenge, certainly. Only the fringe idiot with the policies.

The real question that a lot of people seem to be missing is why 90% of the veterans left? Why did Saint go? Why Spazmo? Otaku, Voss, Jed, triCritical, EEVIAC? Astro and Section8 rarely post these days. Calis recently stated that he wants to take a break. If the forums are so great, why good - the best, in fact, people are leaving or losing their interest to participate in discussions?

It happens? The game market isn't stellar. People move on. You think cracking the whip in GD was going to make the RPG sections better? Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

All the lurkers who bang in here for the drama and whine about the lack of RPG Discussion, here's the scoop: Every forum is a democracy. You vote with your posts. I don't have any problem with the forums, I come here because it's entertaining, occupying, and sometimes relaxing. I contribute to that part of the site. You don't pop in and tell other people how to post for your enjoyment, you contribute to that part of the site and make it thrive. Kudos to Jarlfrank and Monolith for taking that upon themselves.

Koby

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
Vault Dweller said:
If the forums are so great, why good - the best, in fact, people are leaving or losing their interest to participate in discussions?
because everything has been said multiple times by now. your own project monkey thread is a testament to this. all that remains of serious rpg discussion is convincing the newcomers of the "gospel" and it gets boring quick
The fact that YOU don't have anything to contribute or too lazy to do so, doesn't mean you can burn the house down with epic lulz, the problem is you can, and you will, out of sheer boredom if nothing else.

Binary people like you that only see two option: contribute or trash, are the biggest threat to this site, the fact that you can trash this site is just too tempting, and you can't leave well enough alone, you just don't have the self-discipline it take to not bombard thread with shit and abusing the img tags. The fact that you can is something you cannot pass by. I pretty sue that the thought of just lurking is something that never crossed your mind.

This is one of the problem that one day this site will have to deal with.

Nedrah

Erudite
Spacemoose said:
it don't work like that. I doubt you would appreciate it even if you saw it

Well, I'd still like to know, since I don't get at all where this supposed "pillar of the community" is coming from regarding the time I've been with these boards, quite a lot longer than my join date suggests, actually. Maybe I even already saw it, and you're simply right, I found nothing to appreciate. Hard to tell.

I'm not interested in convincing you of anything.

No problem man. I'm starting to not so much dislike you, but just to assume that we are living on different planets.

do you realize that every one out of the three you listed there would be offended at being lumped together with the others?

sheek is pretty much the antithesis of pooper. you crazy bastard

Do you realize that I wasn't talking about self-images but about effect on the community?
There are striking similarities, aren't there?

VD, believe me I'm more than sympathetic to your cause, as you may remember I demanded some of the very things that apparently made the shit hit the fan some time ago. I distinctly remember complaining about the missing "people take some time learning before registering/posting in order to not make complete idiots out of themselves" factor these days.

I can't quite ignore the fact that DU does have valid arguments, though.
I'm not going to repeat those, as he is a lot better at expressing himself than me concerning these things, anyways. My disagreement with you being bashed like that stands, no matter what.

Edit:

Koby said:

Sorry spacemoose, but he's right. The fact that you're jaded doesn't entitle you, or anyone else for that matter, to ruin it for those of us that still want to treat this as, you know, a rpg site.

What exactly is keeping you here, anyways? You obviously are tired of the site's theme. What does codex GD have that DAC's wasteland is lacking for you? From what I can see, it should be FULL of epic lulz for your tastes.

spacemoose

Erudite
Koby said:
The fact that YOU don't have anything to contribute or too lazy to do so, doesn't mean you can burn the house down with epic lulz, the problem is you can, and you will, out of sheer boredom if nothing else.
oh shut up. I've never shit up rpg discussions, and very few people have done so at all. lulz are pretty much GD centric

and yes, the lack of anything new to discuss is a major factor for serious-business regulars leaving. to deny this is ridiculous

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sovard said:
Just a few days ago you were saying that this didn't bother you, and how you weren't emotional. Clearly that is not the case. You're trying to put off some bravado, though you're hurt. You won't admit it... that's fine.
Well, just a few days ago I was still an admin, so I'm not sure what quote you refer to. Post the link and let's see. As for not admitting that I'm hurt:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 920#441920 (my reply to Nedrah)

Really. You desire that power so goddamn much. So many people respected you, and now you're here with DU airing your dirty laundry. I'd say that's a fall from grace. Going from the word of God to someone just scraping by like the rest of us. At least you had the sense to ask the other admins before you Rexed out on us.
1) I desire power to change things, not simply have it to inflate my ego.
2) I merely replied to DU's posts. The time and the place was chosen by DU.
3) I have no problems being a regular poster. Your comments, here and before the revolution, imply that you see the admin status as some kind of achievement and promotion. It's not. Maybe it means something for you, but it never meant anything to me.

I was invited to bigger sites where a position on top would actually mean something. If I cared about power, I would have taken it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sovard said:
You could tell by how the filters were placed it was someone who knew the site quite well. You could also tell from the kind of mayhem they caused that they were not out to damage the site permanently.
Well, if you put it like that, we should definitely do it again sometimes.

The fact that you want to ban me judged on my ability to see past the "sky is falling" attitude at the time, is hilarious. You really need to loosen up, the Codex will never be what it was.
Only one way to find out.

It's a two-part answer. Firstly, I stood in that group of people too intimidated to post. Secondly, the Codex has changed, I'm enough of a match for most of the posters here.
These days? Absolutely.

You're walking around with this chip on your shoulder thinking that "us plebes" have ruined your beloved Codex. You're supposed to be a grown fucking man. Act like one for fuck's sake.
Which means what? Letting the retards do whatever they want?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Helton said:
Yes, you do. Why would you consider banning me because I found something "fucking hilarious"? Because you felt it was at your expense? So the fuck what?
At my expense? Jesus...

It wasn't, by the way. The filters were genius and only a dumbfuck would think the site would never recover.
*sigh* You come home and find your house trashed by your buddies. There is no structural damage and you're sure you can clean it up in a day or two. Funny shit, eh?

Koby

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
oh shut up. I've never shit up rpg discussions, and very few people have done so at all. lulz are pretty much GD centric

and yes, the lack of anything new to discuss is a major factor for serious-business regulars leaving. to deny this is ridiculous

Let me explain how this work to you in the simplest way I can.

RPGcodex GD is NOT what this site is about!

GD is a service for the people who came here to talk about RPGs, NOT the other way around!

If all you want to do is trash talk, go somewhere where GD is the main event, and take your buddies with you, because it DOESN'T BELONG HERE!

Nedrah

Erudite
At the time of the big lulz-party, I think no one not directly involved was quite sure of anything, including wether the AOD forums were possibly permanently gone.

I, for example, was pretty convinced that King Comrade was somehow to blame and basically told VD via pm to fuck off because it was all his fault. Well, he replied :che:, which actually meant KC wasn't involved, so I appologized - and last time I checked I wasn't being banhammered as a reaction.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Nedrah said:
I can't quite ignore the fact that DU does have valid arguments, though.
Quite possibly. There is a very good chance that DU is right and I'm wrong, which is why I'm ok with being a regular poster. I'm a bit disappointed with how everything was handled, but I can live with that.

Helton

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
At my expense? Jesus...

You leave it to me to guess and then take issue with the answer I pick? Why would you want to ban someone for finding what happened funny? You illustrate how fucking depressed you were but that doesn't really answer the question. Or it might, but it hardly is an answer I'd consider valid.

*sigh* You come home and find your house trashed by your buddies. There is no structural damage and you're sure you can clean it up in a day or two. Funny shit, eh?

Except this isn't your home, it's an internet forum. Serious business and all that.

spacemoose

Erudite
Koby said:
some shit
let me explain something to you here: you are some schlub who I've only noticed posting anything yesterday. you've got some balls telling me what the codex is about

Nedrah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Quite possibly. There is a very good chance that DU is right and I'm wrong, which is why I'm ok with being a regular poster. I'm a bit disappointed with how everything was handled, but I can live with that.

I'm not saying either of you is right or wrong. I'm, in my usual somewhat unwieldly way, trying to say that both of you are right on some issues, possibly mistaken OR SIMPLY MISUNDERSTANDING EACH OTHER on other issues. You two having a good long chat about those issues could possibly have brought a lot better things to the site than recent events, though, so I'm not a very happy camper, either.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Helton said:
Vault Dweller said:
At my expense? Jesus...

You leave it to me to guess and then take issue with the answer I pick?
I EXPLAINED everything to you. What more do you need? A picture drawn with a crayon?

Why would you want to ban someone for finding what happened funny? You illustrate how fucking depressed you were...
Fucking depressed? Son, you have a very vivid imagination.

Except this isn't your home, it's an internet forum. Serious business and all that.
I spent 4 years here. More than I spent in some apartments.

Nedrah

Erudite
Spacemoose said:
Koby said:
some shit
let me explain something to you here: you are some schlub who I've only noticed posting anything yesterday. you've got some balls telling me what the codex is about

The only thing you just explained is, that somehow for you some imagined divine "right of being right" gained by being loud and posting a lot, and having done so for a long time, is in some way more important than the actual content of what someone's saying. And you call me a crazy bastard.

Amasius

Augur
Just my 2 cents:

I think that VD is much better as a news poster, interviewer, RPG developer etc. etc. than as a moderator - precisely because he isn't the dictator he is often accused to be. VD often hasn't a lucky hand when dealing with people who make trouble. He is willing to discuss every little decision he makes and no real dictator would do that. Hence there are a lot of people who are challenging his authority and trying to fathom his patience - and when he loses his temper at some point they are happy to stir even more trouble up. (I blame it to bad education and you can hardly blame VD for that.)

My suggestion: give VD his admin powers back and let him do the things he is good at, (if he is still willing to do that) and hire some moderators to handle the daily forum drama. His time should also be to precious for this bullshit and the Codex wouldn't be the same without his reliable work.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Helton said:
Vault Dweller said:
At my expense? Jesus...

You leave it to me to guess and then take issue with the answer I pick? Why would you want to ban someone for finding what happened funny?
"Lulz party" wasn't at VD expense, it was at the Codex expense. It's not that hard to understand it.

Helton

Arcane
Frankly my expectations of the quality of your responses have been steadily diminishing for about a month and somehow you're still managing to disappoint.

I'm not getting into this with you so you can play dumb and act obtuse, fuck it. You've clarified it for me, then? There was no respectable motive you're just petty and take a fucking prank on the internet like you would an assault on your home. Fine. Got it. Loud and clear.

Last word is your's if you want it.

Koby

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
let me explain something to you here: you are some schlub who I've only noticed posting anything yesterday.
And this means what exactly?
Do you disagree with what I said? If so where exactly is the counterargument because I'm not seeing it. Help me help you.

you've got some balls telling me what the codex is about
Man, I just getting warm.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Amasius said:
I think that VD is much better as a news poster, interviewer, RPG developer etc. etc. than as a moderator - precisely because he isn't the dictator he is often accused to be. VD often hasn't a lucky hand when dealing with people who make trouble. He is willing to discuss every little decision he makes and no real dictator would do that. Hence there are a lot of people who are challenging his authority and trying to fathom his patience - and when he loses his temper at some point they are happy to stir even more trouble up.

Once again I agree with Amasius.

vrok

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Why don't you go write for RPG Watch then if you hate 90% of the people here? I'm sure the Dweller-jugend would follow you. Or are you of the opinion, like I am, that RPG Watch is full of stereotype RPG retards that don't know shit about RPGs and infest the serious threads with their ineptitude? Even worse than here?

We just want you to admit that your latest warnings and shit were out of line considering standard Codex rules and all is forgiven IMO, but judging from the last period that will most likely never happen. Either adopt new, rock-solid, no-nonsense rules and only ban/warn when they're in fact broken or accept that anything can and will be made fun of in the usual manner, along with basically ridiculous discussions being held purely for the entertainment value of being the devil's advocate. Your "retardness" rule is full of shit and you know it. That's one of the contributions that got us here.

The massacre thread served no other purpose from the start anyway. Sheek only made it to annoy "anti-Americans" according to himself, and while it evolved into a completely different type of annoyance for you, it was clear that the thread was full of fail from the start and I'm very certain Sheek expected no less.

Retardoing threads with nothing worth discussing would be my suggestion if that kind of predictable shock humor offends you so fucking much. Could've just done that directly when Spacemoose posted his lame joke and PM'd him asking him not to do that instead of handling it the piss-poor way it was done. It is called General Discussion after all, not the group-think movie room of 1984.

You come home and find your house trashed by your buddies.
As far as I'm concerned it's a shared living space that they messed up, not *your* house. Used to be Saint's house though but that still doesn't make it yours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom