Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Time Travel! Yesterday's backup put back.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
you are the intellectual inferior of people like Nicolai, Naked Lunch and Pooperscooper

Seriously, you actually mean that? They're just teens playing rebel and having often childish fun with inane posts. Nothing really wrong with that, but to call them bastions of intellect?

jml

Augur
Patron
Spacemoose said:
Elhoim said:
I agree that "dare" was a too serious word. Maybe I should have said: "Look at the idiots playing the rebels when they don't have 1/1000th of the balls Guevara had". Nothing more, nothing less. You didn't break my heart or anything, and it was mildly ammussing to see your "revolution".
see, this is why you are a serious business faggot. and I'm through lowering myself to your level (not you in particular, all serious business faggots, including KC) and explaining shit to you. let me lay it out once and for all: you are the intellectual inferior of people like Nicolai, Naked Lunch and Pooperscooper. you are not an interesting person to talk to because you are fucking thick.
In others words he is intelluctually inferior people because he does not like feces like you and your buddies. I didn't know that liking jokes about shit makes people intelligent. Please explain to me does liking shit make people intelligent or do intelligent people like shit?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Spacemoose said:
Elhoim said:
I agree that "dare" was a too serious word. Maybe I should have said: "Look at the idiots playing the rebels when they don't have 1/1000th of the balls Guevara had". Nothing more, nothing less. You didn't break my heart or anything, and it was mildly ammussing to see your "revolution".
see, this is why you are a serious business faggot. and I'm through lowering myself to your level (not you in particular, all serious business faggots, including KC) and explaining shit to you. let me lay it out once and for all: you are the intellectual inferior of people like Nicolai, Naked Lunch and Pooperscooper. you are not an interesting person to talk to because you are fucking thick.

I promise won't lower myself to your "superior intellectual level". :lol:

But I agree I'm not as interesting as them. Circus clowns and idiotic stereotypes are far more funny than a guy who just want to have an intelligent discussion without resorting to insults to back up their "arguments". You don't even know how to use insults, Spacemoose. You throw them as you throw the air through your mouth, without purpose, trying to be provocative and failing miserably.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Calis said:
If your "disappointed" remark refers to my actions of yesterday: I figured that with all the hormones running wild, the "restore backup, timeout for a bit" method would be a good way to push for a new balance, but if I only added to the escalation of this epic drama, I'm sorry.
Well, look at it this way. I would have preferred if we discussed this shit together, decided on the best course of actions and took it from there. I mean, I certainly didn't do anything after the revolution (other than helping cleaning that shit) that would indicate that I'm no longer mentally stable. In fact I clearly stated that I will act only if I get everyone's support. Doesn't really get any better than that.

Instead you demoted me "just in case", thus cutting me off all staff discussions. Then DU took out his baseball bat and started entertaining the locals with the public beating, which to be honest came as a surprise to me and raised some questions. Anyway, best quotes, for the lulz:

"VD's actions provoked it. He handled it in such a poor manner that rather than resolving a problem, he exacerbated one. And as I said, this is about the fifth time that's happened. Simply put, whenever VD tries to "help", things just get worse."

"You're far too erratic to implement any sort of policy consistently. "

"Looks like we're just getting rid of anyone who disagrees with you. "

"I'm beginning to think that like Rex, you've let just a little bit too much power go to your head. "

"I believe you feel the site depends on you..."

"My concern is that VD has simply made too many bad decisions over the course of the past few months now which have caused far more problems than they ever needed to create."

"All you seem to do is create issues every time you breathe. "

"Three days of internet drama where all your decisions are overturned and where as a result you look like a fool who's easily undermined"

"I'm very reluctant to give him admin powers in any way what-so-ever."

Do you know what my problem with these quotes is, Calis? The person they describe is a fucking idiot. No, I'm not taking it personally. After all, that's the Codex and telling a moron that he is a moron is an honored tradition that I would never speak against. The problem is with the scenarios.

Scenario 1: I am a fucking moron when it comes to running a site. Then it's a good thing that I'm no longer an admin. Seriously. Just replace the "fucking moron" part with not very competent at, if it makes it look any better.

Scenario 2: I'm not a fucking moron and I'm the right guy to restore the faded glory of the Codex forums, but - and that's a big but - DU, who for all intents and purposes is my boss thinks that I'm a moron unfit to make decisions.

Either option tells me that my days as the Codex admin are over. The logic, as you can see, is very simple, and you can't really argue with it. Now, exclusively for my amusement, I'd like to add the last quote here:

"At this stage, there's still a very real possibility that VD will return with full admin powers and we'll do things his way. "

DU, old boy, if after all that you said you still consider giving me full admin powahs, then you are as erratic as I'm. Maybe even more.

:salute:

Koby

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
and why should I leave?
Don't, either tune down or take you trash talk needs elsewhere, when you want to talk RPG, this place will (probably) still be here.

It really is that simple.

My RPG needs are satisfied by this place. Sure I don't post a lot, most of the time just reading is enough.

My hardware geekness needs are being satisfied in anandtech and arstechnica, sometimes I post a lot sometimes a little, but more then 90% of my posts there are on topic. Both these places have a very high traffic off topic section, but I rarely go there because that isn't why I frequent these sites in the first place. I used to go to tomshardware, but for me that place fall from grace somewhere in 2001 when Tom himself stopped writing the articles which is when that place started to go downhill for me (hint hint).

There are forums for EVERYTHING these days. Whatever you need, it probably there. If trash talking yourself to death is what you want, find someplace that where it belongs. If, for some reason, there is something off topic you to discuss with this, RPG community, then GD is there.

I like the community here, and at least a bunch of them don't mind me either from what I've gathered.
If the staff will let you and others keep doing what your doing in GD, to the point where GD will become this site main attraction then this community will change, for the worse.

This community can sustain only so much bullshit in GD, before GD will overspill into other places, and from my PoV it is already there. Fell free to disagree, but ask yourself, at which point will GD overshadow RPG and strategy discussion, and when it does happens, what will be the likely result?

off topic banter in GD has never been a problem before and there's no reason it should suddenly become some horrible thing
Its becoming a problem for the exactly the same reason you think GD should be allowed to run amuck. Because RPG discussion is slowing down. Back then there was enough RPG discussion to go around, more then enough to cover up for the GD, however the situation has changed.

I'm not dictating terms here, but if I had to chose between a codex where humor is banned and a codex with excellent content... I'd keep the humor because without it the forum is dead.
Without enough RPG discussion this forum and its community is dead. THAT'S where you are wrong, it's not about traffic.

people will step up for content
Hopefully more then enough to let you go rampant in GD. One way or another we going to find out.

Sorry, I honestly just don't have time to keep up with this drama this weekend in particular, but I really do feel the need to speak up from what I have read. Excuse me if it's already been said somewhere the last few pages.

This VD bashing is really lame. I seem to see a lot from Hory, Sovard, and Vrok in particular. I'm sorry, who the fuck are you guys again? Not that I'm the keeper of the codex flame or anything, but I can't tie any of you to anything anywhere in my personal brainspace other than this recent VD lynch mob. I'm really not trying to pull rank or anything, but who the fuck exactly made you guys the arbiters or what is and isn't the Codex ethos? From where I'm sitting you're all basically non-entities throwing shit at someone who actually does count for something, so kindly remember your place now and then so that you don't look like even worse asshats than you do already.

Let me also agree this public airing of dirty laundry is pretty bad form. I don't agree with VD's somewhat puritanical standards of banning since we've always been a rather black humor place, but the lulzers do get on my nerves. It's all a matter of degree as I said earlier. Attention whore extraordinaire Chefe has always been my pet peeve, but meh, go along to get along I guess.

I think VD's contributions actually do count for something. He who pays the piper calls the tunes. Giving him "permission" to post news but no admin duties is akin to the ex-wife who magnanimously tells her ex he's more than welcome to pay child support but needs to kindly shut the fuck up when it comes to how the kids are raised. Sorry, bitch, it doesn't work that way and most decent people know it. The puritanical standards he's espoused I could do without, but he's always been a generally a reasonable guy if you have two brain cells to rub together. If you don't, sorry if I have no sympathy if you end up on the wrong side of his banstick. I've been known to post some cold-ass shit from time to time, but I don't really doubt I could talk my way out of it with VD if he happened to have sand in his vagina that day. In times past we would have all ganged together and made the dumbfucks run home and cry to momma instead but most of us got a little older and don't always have time for that shit anymore, so VD fiat just unfortunately might have to suffice. Times change.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Walks with the Snails said:
... but he's always been a generally a reasonable guy if you have two brain cells to rub together. If you don't, sorry if I have no sympathy if you end up on the wrong side of his banstick.
That's pretty much what I told Calis when he asked me what are the proposed rules:

> Defining dumbfuckery is pretty hard though.
Is it really? Do you have to think long and hard trying to figure out whether you're looking at a dumb post or not?

Or try this question. We have a few hundred of active posters at least, right? Well, when you think of dumbfucks and questionable posts, how many people you're thinking of? I bet less than 10. In other words, we all know who the dumbfucks are, but we tolerate them. I suggest not to, that's all.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How about (for the lulz) banning all dumbfucks (I mean dumbfucks, not people with a dumbfuck title) for a week and see if it sparks some RPG discussion? Everyone who starts crying is banned too, until the week is over. Would be a cool experiment!

dagorkan

Arbiter
OK well since the dumbfuck Codex staff has made clear it isn't going to make any effort (other than ban the only admin who wanted to make any difference), I'll be damned if I'm going to make any effort. Yeah, your little coup has changed my mind.

Let's face facts here. DU is a uniquely malicious dumbfuck of the first order and by his own admission enjoys the antics of the lulz crowd. He is using them to get rid of VD, who committed the awful heresy of wanting to go against the retarded lulz kids. He maybe even welcomed the little hijack-revolution, who knows.

Now let's see what the 'new admin' has, so far as I can see have done:
-taken GD off the front page
-let allowed half a dozen of the worst lulzers, spammers and dumbfucks back - Spacemoose. Riso, TNP, NL, Percolator Fish etc
-sacked and humiliated the only person who gave a fuck

Great job guys!

The real reason this site became a shit hole (at least the non-RPG parts of it) is that most of the staff either enjoy the dumbfuckery or feel for some retarded reason that they 'must' tolerate it, to keep with the 'Codex spirit' or whatever the fuck it is. Spacemoose, KC, and I think the wannabe 'revolutionaries' are a symptom of the problem not the cause.

So, yeah I'll leave if you guys reinstate VD and make sure he is the boss, because I don't have any confidence in the rest of you. If you don't this site will become worse and dumber and I'm not making any 'sacrifice' for a site which will turn to shit anyway.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
one: my posting of bannable material was prompted by me getting warned repeatedly over innocuous stuff. there's really nothing more to be said on that subject
two: its people like YOU that should get the boot for being serious-business faggots who are choking this place to death
Vault Dweller said:
I'm not a fucking moron and I'm the right guy to restore the faded glory of the Codex forums
Since i'm an ignorant fuck when it comes to understanding what RPGCodsex is [unlike many experts such as spacemoose], and use this site to read old discussions and editorials it's very tempting to think what can VD if given unlimited powers turn this place into.

No matter how this unreasonable shitstorm ends i hope some time later codex will become again the place where you can find people of Boyarsky's caliber, not just stupid teenagers.

Edit: and, DU, you reminded me of some sort of fucked guru that knows everything, can do everything and does nothing at all.

Calis

Pensionado
Vault Dweller said:
(Stuff on yesterday)
I can't really answer any of that without copy pasting the e-mail back-n-forth. Which I'm not going to do.

Also, Sheek, shut up already.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, I spent quite some time reading up on teh drama.
I don't want to get involved into an argument, but for me the bottom line is simple:

1. The Codex is better for VD's involvement.

2. Demoting him from admin to "content provider" (how web 2.0) is nothing less than a kick in the nuts for all his trouble. I can't blame him for not accepting this offer.

3. Strict rules are overrated.

Calis

Pensionado
Claw said:
Wow, I spent quite some time reading up on teh drama.
I don't want to get involved into an argument, but for me the bottom line is simple:

1. The Codex is better for VD's involvement.

2. Demoting him from admin to "content provider" (how web 2.0) is nothing less than a kick in the nuts for all his trouble. I can't blame him for not accepting this offer.

3. Strict rules are overrated.
God damn it, stop tempting me to get into this debate here with all the kiddie-analysis crap.

elander_

Arbiter
Isn't the problem already solved without having to ban anyone? Why don't you cool it for a few days and see if it works?

dagorkan

Arbiter
You would think so. You have enough time to demote VD and join in the drama in this thread but not enough time to ban Spacemoose, TNP, Riso, NL, Percolator and all the other spammers. Glad you have your priorities straight.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Nope, i think a general amnesty should apply to those banned members. If they fuck up again, then by all means ban them, but give them another chance. Plus, once someone has been restored as an active member (TNP has made several RPG related posts in the last 24 hours) its bad form to suddenly revoke those privileges without justification

And Sheek...WTF. I thought you were on a self-imposed exile, but you seem to be turning into a gibbering idiot with every post . What your argument boils down to is that people you dont like arent banned. As far as i'm concerned the spammer/site credibility problem is solved with GD off the front page. Noone was spamming in the other sections anyway.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
I would have more sympathy for VD if his actions made any sense. I'm not going to pretend I don't think all the "lulz" is retarded and has screwed up this once great forum, and I do agree with a lot of what VD said about what this site could be versus where it's going, but there's still that glaring fact that he gave KC moderator powers. Unless there's some secret rational thinking behind that, it just cancels out all of that other stuff he says and makes me agree with DU about the inconsistency. It just makes no sense. It makes all those grandiose statements he makes about wanting intelligent discussion a joke.

And also, to dredge this up, this does remind me of Exitium in some ways. Exitium warned and banned Role-Player for making fun of his race, now VD warned (and presumably would have banned) Spacemoose for making fun of the shootings. Both of them had threads where they had public arguments with other admins, both of them had a post from another admin describing how they "changed", and they also had other people saying "keep it in private guys". I find it kind of amusing to see that repeat itself. Of course past that, there isn't any more similarity since Exitium was mostly a joke while most people still want VD to contribute and all.

dagorkan

Arbiter
What your argument boils down to is that people you dont like arent banned.
I do like them (except Spacemoose when he's being an idiot), I just don't think they should post here, on this particular forum. I'm fine with them posting on DaC or in IRC, and I don't bring Codex issues over there.

Stop bashing KC, I wouldn't want him running the site but he's been a pretty good moderator so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom