Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan: Blizzard's cancelled MMO.

Andhaira

Arcane
The game is set in the future. Aliens have invaded Earth to claim resources humanity never knew existed, including something connected to the secret of life. The game has two modes, 'office' and 'field', with players having a different avatar in each. The 'office' is more social-interaction-focused whilst the 'field' is the more familiar MMORPG paradigm with exploration of ruins, quests etc. There are three factions: 'hippies', the authoritarian power-seekers and a bunch of cyborgs. There is also magic involved as well as technology.

They have set a release date of 2014. I'm surprised they did not go for a Starcraft MMO, considering the $$$ to be made from it. Maybe they are not greedy for money, as some suspect.

DaveO

Erudite
It will be cancelled like the Warcraft adventure game. :smug:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait guys... I don't get it... Are you considering that Andhaira's post is... serious?! :retarded:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Konjad said:
Wait guys... I don't get it... Are you considering that Andhaira's post is... serious?! :retarded:

He has proven to be a very reliable and trustworthy quality poster in the past few years, so I don't see why we should doubt him.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Gragt said:
Konjad said:

He has proven to be a very reliable and trustworthy quality poster in the past few years, so I don't see why we should doubt him.
Apart from *insert inane question that has been beaten to death several times before*-"discuss!"-threads of olden times and "ToEE sucks because it has Cloud's sword in it and I hate it because the uncles who molest me and killed my dog while serving djinn love FF" whenever a thread about ToEE pops up has andhaira ever be prone to posting nonsens-troll-hype-shit?

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, considering how this is only on that particular board and just about nowhere else, I'd imagine that's a bunch of hogwash.

Then again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
denizsi said:
Sounds like a facebook game.

Exactly. The 'office' part. And then the 'field' part will just be more MMO schlock. If that info is true then it'll be terrible but will still probably sell in record numbers.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Metro said:
denizsi said:
Sounds like a facebook game.

Exactly. The 'office' part. And then the 'field' part will just be more MMO schlock. If that info is true then it'll be terrible but will still probably sell in record numbers.

Expect Battle.net to replace Facebook.

Norfleet

I'm not sure which I detest more of the two, so this seems an awful lot like the entire Bethesda vs. Interplay thing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Xor said:
Sounds fake.

Actually, I think it sounds too stupid to be fake. It isn't a big surprise Blizzard would go the free-to-play/facebook game route after all of that RealID garbage.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
It's pretty amazing to me that with a team of 100+ ppl working on this since 2009 and still nothing has leaked.

Sure they have NDAs and shit, but programmers and developers of all people surely know how to post on message boards without being traced and found out. Add to that the face whoever does this/leaks news could actually make some money doing so, if he/she offered to tell what they know for cash.

Anyhow, it's been almost 4 years or so that work on this has been going on. This shit game should be nearing alpha stage, if it hasn't already.

Does anyone have any clues as to what setting the game is in? Will it be Starcraft MMO? Diablo MMO? Something New MMO?

IMO Starcraft could be quite successful, as there are no real Sci Fi MMOs on the market. Eve Online is there, but it is mostly a Spaceship SIM MMO. The last Sci Fi MMO that was big IMO was Anarchy Online.

OTOH Diablo MMO could be quite successful too...as it would potentially be the first Gothic, Dark Fantasy MMO.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm also really curious about this, but honestly, it's almost impossible to succeed... the expectations are even higher than Diablo 3, and the resposibility as well. It will probably fail even more than D3 and perhaps end this boring "everything is MMO" era...

WoW originally launched mostly riding on W3 fame and Blizzard's name, it wasn't the perfect launch of the best game ever, but they were smart enought to quickly copy every new feature other MMOs created. Titan will have to be released "almost perfect", people will be expecting it to play as smoothly as wow does after 8 years of pacthes, and to implement every great new ideia MMOs had...

I'm especially curious on how it will handle combat... the wow model is terribly outdated. I would instantly be hyped for this if they were going for a TERA-like approach, but I doubt it will be more than a Guild Wars clone... Blizzard never was a original company, just great at copying other stuff and making it look like it's theirs.

The setting is the other big question, Wow used all of W3's hype and was almost a sequel to it, you would see Thrall at Ogrimmar, the monument to Hellscrean's death, and latter even fight Arthas, Illidan and Deathwing... now that the whole Warcraft 2-3 lore is explored, Blizzard gives us filler stuff like pandas; and that already doesn't have the same impact as previous ones... Titan just doesn't have any lore to ride on anymore, unless it uses Starcraft's universe (and is released after the three SC2 games), they just won't have any "famous" names to drawn old players into it...

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I'm also really curious about this, but honestly, it's almost impossible to succeed... the expectations are even higher than Diablo 3, and the resposibility as well. It will probably fail even more than D3 and perhaps end this boring "everything is MMO" era...

WoW originally launched mostly riding on W3 fame and Blizzard's name, it wasn't the perfect launch of the best game ever, but they were smart enought to quickly copy every new feature other MMOs created. Titan will have to be released "almost perfect", people will be expecting it to play as smoothly as wow does after 8 years of pacthes, and to implement every great new ideia MMOs had...

I'm especially curious on how it will handle combat... the wow model is terribly outdated. I would instantly be hyped for this if they were going for a TERA-like approach, but I doubt it will be more than a Guild Wars clone... Blizzard never was a original company, just great at copying other stuff and making it look like it's theirs.

The setting is the other big question, Wow used all of W3's hype and was almost a sequel to it, you would see Thrall at Ogrimmar, the monument to Hellscrean's death, and latter even fight Arthas, Illidan and Deathwing... now that the whole Warcraft 2-3 lore is explored, Blizzard gives us filler stuff like pandas; and that already doesn't have the same impact as previous ones... Titan just doesn't have any lore to ride on anymore, unless it uses Starcraft's universe (and is released after the three SC2 games), they just won't have any "famous" names to drawn old players into it...

D3 failed? Are you sure? Didn't it sell like 10 million copies and was a huge mega success?

Sure word of mouth after sales on message boards few ppl frequent might be bad...but I doubt it affects Blizzards bottom line. ;)

Also, after some research on the web, it appears this MMO might be FPS derived, kinda like Mass Effect MMO...

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
When they first thing talked of it in the BlizzCon (either 2008 or 2009) they already confirmed it's a brand new IP so it's not even trying to ride on SC2 or Warcraft.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
D3 failed? Are you sure? Didn't it sell like 10 million copies and was a huge mega success?
Yes, but it left a bitter taste on most people's mouth... it's like DA2, sold bazzilions due marketing & hype, but the product itself was subpar. While that may be okay from the "still sold 10M" take, when talking about a subscription-based MMO, made to replace the 8-years profitable WoW, first month sales don't mean absolutly nothing, is the long run that matters... unless Blizzard wants to follow SWTOR example... :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom