Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan: Blizzard's cancelled MMO.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I doubt Blizzard is even capable of coming up with a new IP at this point. They've been milking the same three for nearly twenty years.

oscar

Arcane
And their original IPs were pretty blatant knock-offs of other things. Warcraft was originally intended to be a Warhammer game but they couldn't get the licensing (bet Games Workshop is kicking themselves about not allowing it now).

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Diablo 40k MMO? At this point the only way I see myself caring is if Blizzard actually calls the game "WoW Killer".

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
my personal opinion (this is where you all stop reading) in terms of what is going on is that:

i. this begun when themeparks were are at their peak, and WoW boasted a staggering 12 million sheep subscribers. Alas, the days of joyful mindless milking are about to end. In regards to mindless. They had to scrap a lot and at a fundamental (all puns intended) a level. See Smedley's direction, see EVE achieving something no one would -ever- have thought again possible [DAoC, before you say it, was in the previous decade. Does not count as an example of profitable in mid 2010]. They are currently trying hard to make an open/sandstyle theme out of what originally was a rollercoaster.

ii. It was intended to be as much a social/casual, as a 'typical' combat mmorpg. At a time when no one else was even near getting there. Time brought changes however. Facebook changed the way they charge, the amounts they charge, and everything EULA-related to companies using their platform to launch or support their games. All of a sudden, that wonder of a social MMO could not hold, not with the margins they originally envisioned. Again scrapping. They are currently working on a beta version of their Battle.net that will make Facebook look like yesterday's news in terms of social gaming. Plenty of signs in regards to that for those in the business.

I do not see their demise. Only further

:declining:

Bony

Learned
Queued
It's not a wow killer. Blizz said that it's a different genre so Titan and WoW can co-exist together.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hmmm, I guess that means it has to be F2P then, unless Blizzard expects people to shell out 30 dollars a month on the "coexisting" products from the same company.

xemous

Arcane
the game better have different races and not all humans, and definitely not like fucking the old republic where they're humans but with a twist. i want to play as a kobold or a slime or a spider or a goblin or a dwarf from outerspace or a robot-droid or a elf that is a bit fat and not slim.

the next gen mmos need to have variety in character development, both cosmetically and in race and class subsystems so you friends can be "hey, it's gumblert, the robot-tank" and not "there is our human warrior tank we are inviting into the group but there are many others like him" etc.

dont know why wow didn't allow more variety in the first place. they added in panda's so it cant be lore related. hopefully the next expansions fixes the game and they allow a spider, kobold or murloc and maybe even turtle race.

xemous

Arcane
heres a race i just made up now for a future wow expansion that i'd like to play
6hludh.png

the possibilities are endless

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
My personal guesses:
  • It's Starcraft Online, they are lying about the new IP.
  • It's an FPS, targetting the 'Call of Duty audience'.
  • Multiplatform - released on PC, Mac and the next Xbox.
  • Graphically, it will look like something from 2006, to be able to run on said Xbox.
  • Multiplayer will also be cross-platform, console gamers will get their asses kicked and much butthurt will ensue.
  • It will be marketed as an open-world sandbox with a PVP focus, but won't actually have meaningful PVP, a death penalty etc.
  • They will offer a discounted joint sub for WoW+Titan, but it'll have a sub - people will cry about it but buy it regardless.
  • There will be a RMAH and a cosmetic cash shop.
  • It will get 10/10 reviews and GotY from every gaming site, sell 10M copies and end up disappointing a lot of people.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://titanfocus.info/_/news/project-titan-info-leak-esports-jay-wilson-blizzcon-2013-and-more-r65

OK, here we go. I've been sitting on this info for more than a week, not only to do my absolute best to verify it, but also because I didn't want to publish the article before or during the April Fools craze. So let's begin!

Leak Validity
It's always hard to be sure about something like this, but I'm extremely confident about this one. The source is someone with firsthand info that I've personally talked with extensively and has provided solid info (names, photos, detailed description as to how and why he knows what he knows) to validate him/her self. There is always the chance that it's someone playing a silly prank, but this one would be a very elaborate one. I'm giving it a 95% chance to be true.

As always, what I'll report here are his/ hers conclusions of what (s)he's seen, so this can always deviate a bit from the truth, but not because of wrong intentions from either of us. Also, please don't draw any definitive conclusions about the game from this. It's a very rough sketch that might not even be entirely accurate. Disclaimers aside, let's get into the juicy stuff!

Game Universe

It's based on Earth's history, but also includes a high amount of fiction. It will have a "deep history", just as Warcraft and Starcraft.

They're intending to include many Warcraft elements into Titan's world. Mostly Easter Eggs, but can also extend to entire characters being ported into the new game, one way or another.

There will be a lot of Time Travel.

When it comes to weapons, we'll have almost everything at our disposal, from magic to guns.

Heavy use of Greek, Roman and Viking myths.

They've invited some established writers (Richard A. Knaak for example) to help with the storyline.

Game-play

It's an MMORPG. We'll play from a 3rd person view, but there will also be a first person view during "events". No extra clarification as to the nature of these events could be given.

TAB targeting in combat.

It will benefit from a completely new game engine.

Graphics will be in the established "Blizzard style".

Primarily a PC game, but next-gen consoles are still being considered. Probably after launch, as with D3.

Expected 12+ PEGI.

It's designed with eSports in mind. They will try to grow it into a successful eSport.

There will be "clan" housing. No details on player-housing.

Last but not least, the game will have an Auction House. Nothing conclusive about a Real-

Money Auction House but it is possible. As an extra tidbit, Blizzard was also considering introducing a RMAH into WoW at one point, but apparently not anymore.

Miscellaneous

150 developers working on it now. Last we've been told, in September last year, there were just a bit over 100, so the team is growing at a nice pace, quickly becoming the biggest one. They're about to bring new Community Managers into the team and some testers that will be needed in the near future. Many of the new team members have come from Blizzard's other projects.

English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish localization now. More will come during beta.

They were considering implementing easy in-game recording at one point, unsure of the state of this at the moment.

BLIZZCON 2013 - Titan Teaser, details on expansions for all other major franchises (SC2, D3, WoW). There will be other small Titan teasers at the event but nothing major. They don't want to show any game-play until they have a solid date for beta.

Speaking of which, current plan is to open Family & Friends testing (Alpha stage basically) in Q1 2014.

The game has a name already that has been changed multiple times over the course of the development process. Unknown unfortunately.

They're going full-out when it comes to the soundtrack. Each zone will have its own song, and the songs will vary vastly in type, rhythm. We've reported before that Jason Hayes has returned to Blizzard, so this is definitely not surprising.

That's about it. There are no mind blowing statements here, but I think the chances are very high that for the first time since we found out about Project Titan, we have a solid starting platform on which we can base our expectations and speculation.

Maybe even more than usual, I'm extremely curious to hear what you think about this!

I'm a sucker for fresh new worlds, especially if they're treated with respect and care like only Blizzard understands.

HURDURR in before Diablo 3 haters.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
TAB targeting in combat.

aaaand interest is gone.

Well you are more patient then me, mine gone at
It will have a "deep history", just as Warcraft and Starcraft
>_>

I hope it is at least something fresh, playing Secret World nowadays, Investigation quests and setting is helluva good but combat is plain boring. Can only tolarete that game with me gang.

Edit:
I really wonder how this will effect WoW in terms of player base.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tab targeting is pretty much the only viable thing in a MMO.

Tell this to my group mates, they nearly skinned me alive when I tab tarrgetted and attacked orcs at balcony in UBRS and pulling them all inside the arena:D Best part was they had no idea about what happened till I told them...
Love them ninja pulls with my huntard always worth -DKP :=D

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Tab targeting is pretty much the only viable thing in a MMO.

Tell this to my group mates, they nearly skinned me alive when I tab tarrgetted and attacked orcs at balcony in UBRS and pulling them all inside the arena:D Best part was they had no idea about what happened till I told them...
Love them ninja pulls with my huntard always worth -DKP :=D
Well, when you tab target, you watch to see who the fuck you're target is. Not tab then immediately faceroll FFS

pan

Learned
is this the thread where we submit wow monster designs

Wo_W_monster_design.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom