Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Souls

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

'Dark souls + shadow of the colossus' in a 2d indie crapgame ? coming in march :hmmm:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wasn't there another 2D Dark Souls indie crap, or is this the same one? What's with this shit now?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Wasn't there another 2D Dark Souls indie crap, or is this the same one? What's with this shit now?

k-bigpic.png

This? It was a hoax yet it still looks gorgeous.

Karellen

Arcane
Huh. Titan Souls was originally made for a game jam (the flash file for that is still around). I didn't know that they were making a "full" game out of it. I wonder if they've come up with something new to spice it up, because the game jam version had three (well, four, kind of) bosses and it was already getting pretty stale at that point.

In any case, that version wasn't really much like Dark Souls at all. It was something of a 2D Shadow of the Colossus in that there are only puzzle-like bosses in the game and you have to walk a long way through a mostly empty environment to get to each one. Where it differs from SotC is that your character dies from a single blow and you have to walk all the way back to the boss, so the environments get old pretty fast. That's supposed to be the Dark Souls-y part, but the constant dying was interesting in Dark Souls because you lost your souls when you died and could try to get them back, which encouraged caution and made things more tense. It doesn't really do anything like that in Titan Souls, though, because you're not really punished for dying (there were no powerups of exp or anything, so there's nothing to take away) and the boss battles are pretty twitchy affairs anyway, so there's not much tension there. All in all it's just a puzzle action game in which you spend a lot of time walking to the puzzles. The music was fairly nice, though.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It's short, it's cute and the demo is out. Full game available in 2 weeks:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297130/?snr=1_7_15__13

DRM-free demo: http://itch.io/search?q=titan+souls

The demo is exactly the same as the prototype described by Karellen:

It was something of a 2D Shadow of the Colossus in that there are only puzzle-like bosses in the game and you have to walk a long way through a mostly empty environment to get to each one. Where it differs from SotC is that your character dies from a single blow and you have to walk all the way back to the boss, so the environments get old pretty fast. That's supposed to be the Dark Souls-y part, but the constant dying was interesting in Dark Souls because you lost your souls when you died and could try to get them back, which encouraged caution and made things more tense. It doesn't really do anything like that in Titan Souls, though, because you're not really punished for dying (there were no powerups of exp or anything, so there's nothing to take away) and the boss battles are pretty twitchy affairs anyway, so there's not much tension there. All in all it's just a puzzle action game in which you spend a lot of time walking to the puzzles. The music was fairly nice, though.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Played it, the game is fun. I killed 5-6 bosses before quitting due to dizziness. I'm gonna pick it up again for sure to continue.

Unplayable without a controller.

It doesn't have any relation to Dark Souls, apart from the title. Shadow of the Colossus, I don't know, I haven't played it. Checkpoints are pretty close to the boss, so walking back is not a problem. Fast gameplay, really satisfying when you kill a boss, every battle is a matter of seconds, a minute tops either you die or kill the boss. Cool soundtrack and sound effects. Only problem is the camera I think, a little zoom out would be helpful.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You can move the camera around with the right stick on an x360 pad.

I downed 7 titans yesterday, saw and failed against 4 more. It's exactly like Shadow of the Colossus in its development, not exactly on the mechanics. It does exactly what was expected, deliver on 20 quick boss fights while traversing a quirky vaguely mysterious barren environment.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Developer is a SanFran SJW retard.
Is the gameplay good enough to force myself to be hypocrite enough to buy it? Or is it just a pretty hipsterish puzzle game?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Developer is a SanFran SJW retard.
Is the gameplay good enough to force myself to be hypocrite enough to buy it? Or is it just a pretty hipsterish puzzle game?
Looks like shit and it's made by SJWs. No support.

No reason to be an ideologue cunt for the sake of it. The game is good.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
The combat(if you can even call it that) is ridiculously simple and barely existent. Does it unlock anything else besides the 1 arrow attack? It's just very dull.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The combat(if you can even call it that) is ridiculously simple and barely existent. Does it unlock anything else besides the 1 arrow attack? It's just very dull.
No, you start and end the game with the same skill set. Same as in Shadow of the Colossus, the main influence and game they borrow most of their development from.

I believe you need some context from here the game comes from:

GrainWetski

Arcane
I would not compare it to SoTC in any way besides "You only fight bosses".

SoTC would be supremely bad if the only thing you did was fire an arrow every 10 seconds.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Just finished the game in 4h. tl;dr it was short but sweet and awesome. Easily worth 10 quid just for the soundtrack and style.

To be honest, I defeated the last 2 titans completely by accident. You need to defeat all 18 titans to unlock "Truth", the 19th.

wAkxYIQ.jpg

Alfons

Prophet
I would not compare it to SoTC in any way besides "You only fight bosses".

SoTC would be supremely bad if the only thing you did was fire an arrow every 10 seconds.
I think it's similar in terms of broader principles:
-You travel the game world unopposed looking for bosses.
-The bosses are puzzles(sort of).
-The bosses can only be killed by hitting a weak point. How easy it is to hit is dependent on the boss.
-You absorb the boss' essence once it's killed.

I never played Shadow but I think that if you strip away the initial awe and the atmosphere both games are incredibly shallow.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Agree on every point. That's why they have to be short. Were it a bit longer the awe and mysticisms would fade.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
:necro:
Bought this through a "Make your own Bundle", installed it, then played it...until this end. Nice day, very good short game, great music, good atmosphere and the enemies are different enough to make the game interesting.

I agree about the similarities you give with SoTC too. In my opinion, the main difference is the duration of the fights. In Titan Souls most bosses can basically be killed very quickly (one or two shots for most of them).
The other differences are more arguable :
- I consider that the story of SoTC was good, as simple as it was, and reinforced the atmosphere of the game ; Titan Souls only reuse a simpler version of it.
- I also feel that I spent more time in SoTC seeking what to do (searching for weak points,...) whereas in Titan Souls I quickly knew what to do but needed to reach perfect execution, note that it's not frustating since it's rarely more than a very few dodges and a very few shots.

I briefly tried hard mode and it looks like it will be worth another walkthrough someday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom