Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

To AoD fans - why aren't you looking forward to Dead State?

What puts you off Dead State?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't mind the zombie apocalypse setting. It's overdone but in CRPGs it's still novel, however I don't care for the shelter management aspect. I found the writing abysmal and the systems kinda lame but I honesly didn't look much into it. Didn't care for the looks either

In other words I don't really like anything about it, I'm still looking forward if only for the shitstorm

Lhynn

Arcane
I don't mind the zombie apocalypse setting. It's overdone but in CRPGs it's still novel, however I don't care for the shelter management aspect. I found the writing abysmal and the systems kinda lame but I honesly didn't look much into it. Didn't care for the looks either

In other words I don't really like anything about it, I'm still looking forward if only for the shitstorm
Thats disapointing, ive yet to try it but had high hopes for the writing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I voted content/core activities.

When I played the first early access version it was really boring and there was nothing to do.

For all the crap AoD gets about teleporting the player around, it does mean you're constantly doing something interesting.

Tigranes

Arcane
I backed it at lowest tier, but I have to say I have very little amount of care for Dead State. I don't like zombies (saving grace being this one's at least not about OMG ZOMBIES RUN), it looks clunky, it's also pretty far away. It might still turn out to be a decent game, but bets are that AoD is going to be miles in front in terms of quality.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, AoD is pretty much our game. Dead State is like a bro next door trying to cash in on AoD's "popularity". Also, Im allergic these days/years on words like Survival, Zombies etc.

Castanova

Prophet
Horrible setting. Turn-based combat but against literally braindead enemies. Horrible writer marries her way into a lead design role.

Three strikes and you're out.

Zombies are also a deal breaker for me. No matter how good a game, movie, or novel is, if it involves zombies my level of interest takes a shotgun blast to the head and stays dead.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I hate zombies with a passion. Zombie movies, zombie games, zombie everything. The market is over-saturated with this shitty fantasy creature. And the reason why it's so popular with the masses is that they themselves are a sort of zombie horde. Birds of a feather stick together.

I'd brofist if I could.

I like zombie games, movies etc, as much as the next guy. As in it's a cool concept, but I'll only watch/play if it's actually good, high quality, and not be a mindless faggot that follows the horde from fad to fad. Zombies sure are getting raped in entertainment currently and it's been irritating me a little also.

Morkar Left

I have the impression that most people are just not interested in zombies anymore because zombies became from nearly extinct to an everywhere present phenomen in comics, novellas, movies, tv series and most of the time shitty pc and console games.

Would DS been released two years ago when zombies were hip, they would have made a big cash-in. I'm still looking forward to the first zombie-rpg that's worth its name no matter how many other zombie games are out there.

Perkel

Arcane
Because it is vaporware.

I would love to play it but i can't fucking get excited over game that will be released in 2020. And yes i fucking can't wait for AoD or DS

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Because while VD have our share of Codexian style 'discussions', at our core we GET what RPGs are supposed to be about. The dead State people are all smoke and mirrors. Plus, zombies. BORING. Zombies are for random encounters or horror movies - not the entire point of a full game. that's fukkin' stupid.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
What's with all the hate for zombies? I think a proper RPG in a zombie setting sound pretty cool :P
Zombies have been done to death, and were boring to begin with. The idiot hordes love zombie games because they never have to think at all, but they are the antithesis of good encounter design. Why would you want a game where all the enemies are the same, and all they do is run up to you and attack?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Zombies have been done to death, and were boring to begin with. The idiot hordes love zombie games because they never have to think at all, but they are the antithesis of good encounter design. Why would you want a game where all the enemies are the same, and all they do is run up to you and attack?
The zombies are more like an enviroment condition than the enemies. The enemies are the other survivors, and zombies only become an issue if you attract a lot of them by making noise

Or at least that's the theory

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've never played a zombie game where the player isn't expected to fight most or all of the zombies. Having other survivors be the real enemy is fine, just have a non-zombie apocalypse and take out all the boring trash encounters. Of course, doing so would keep the developers from using zombies as speedbumps to increase the length of the game, and interfere with the manboons' fantasy of killing their neighbors without guilt or consequence.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So you hate zombies ok

The devs also hate how it works in most zombie apocalypse games and that's part of the reason they are doing their thing

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeh you've got a point there. But I still think it could be a great setting for an rpg, with shelter management, gathering resources like water and food, dealing with emotional stress among the survivors, trying to survive. There was this zombie roguelike, forgot it's name, it was abandoned but the playable beta is great fun and I hope Dead State will be anything like it. I might of course be completely wrong, I never played it so far.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The whole premise behind zombies is boredom incarnate. If I had a time machine I would go back and kill Kirkman before he started writing the material that would end up turning into all that nextgen zombie craze.
Zombies have no place in anything but old school horror movies. Like Night of the Living Dead.

canakin

Cipher
The zombie apocalypse is not :obviously: enough as an rpg setting. I think zombies are strictly dudebro power fantasy material for people who want to mow down brainless hordes of enemies. A classical zombie never poses a threat for anyone with half a brain in games and when you give your zombies speed, intelligence and ability to use guns and stuff they are not zombies anymore they are just regular people who happened to die at some point.

I am looking forward to Dead State, rather "cautiously". I'm not crazy about the direction of overall design which feels sort of basic and consolish to me and the central aspect of the shelter; it sort of feels like a simplified JA1 with an emphasis on the lesser aspects but that is an expectations thing. It still is the zombie game that hits closest to what I've been wanting for a while.

And fair enough if zombie genre isn't your thing but suggesting that the genre is oversaturated is ridiculous when practically every zombie game is a straight console crapshooter. Zombie genre has never been about the zombies, or mowing them down by scores. It was always about the people, the character conflicts and what they do to survive where zombies have simply become a force of nature, which few games have tried to explore at all.

Likewise with the correlation between the genre and TB or what have you. When you make such a correlation between any genre and game mechanic, just try to remember the idiots who parrot ridiculous company lines like "TB no longer relevant", "the genre has moved on, so have we", "we feel this type of gameplay no longer works with TB".

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
If only we could have a Resident Evil RPG...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom