Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

To AoD fans - why aren't you looking forward to Dead State?

What puts you off Dead State?

• Total voters

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
If you are talking about how the game's about interaction between characters and survival of society in an apocalyptic environment I know about that. Still I would like to know why they chose the most uninspired, overdone and stupid kind of apocalypse.
I can't speak for Brian but when he mentioned his idea my first thought was Romero's The Night of the Livig Dead, which was an awesome fucking zombie movie which wasn't about zombies at all.

So it sort of like saying that fantasy is overdone pointing at all the generic crap the gaming industry has been churning out for years.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
According to the current poll, over half the the Codex is looking forward to Age of Decadence, but less than a third cares about Dead State, even though they share much of the same team and tech and are both Early Access. Rather than speculate, I started a poll.

I'm sure this feedback will help the devs too. You're welcome.

AoD has better than average writing and some truly interesting characters in a post apocalyptic roman setting... Dead state has zombies.

buzz

Arcane
I think Excidium said it best, zombies are rather a force of nature in these movies. They're closer to the radiation in Fallout, or the various wildlife you fight in common RPGs.
It's not the zombies themselves why people hate that entire genre of movies and games, it's mostly everything that comes with that.

First, the setting is almost always contemporary and urban. That was the selling point, the idea that you take the fight right down in your neighborhood, fighting dead versions of your friends in your favorite mall and then beating some random douche in the head with a baseball bat. You fight with contemporary weapons against contemporary enemies. It's all about the scavenging and surviving but at the end of the day, if you don't have your fireballs or your uber-armor, or some laser weapon, you're not gonna draw the attention to fantasy/sci-fi nerds. History nerds obviously don't care about this shizzle, so you're basically left with a realistic setting that only normal people that never fought/saw enough zombies care about.

Second, the setting is almost always apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic. As in, zombie movies can be referred as disaster movies. And while that's okay, the general story in itself is overly dramatic, not very adventure-ish and a bit boring. This is also the reason why most people like Mad Max 2 over the first one, or why Fallout is a great setting. Because they're not "post-apocalyptic" as much as they're "post-post-apocalyptic". They're not about dealing with the apocalypse or surviving the impact, but rather picking up the pieces and living in a different world. The pretty past is no longer the subject of discussion anymore (or people never managed to experience it), strong societies are being formed and so on. If Fallout was just about surviving in the wasteland, people would pretty hate it. But as a spaghetti western set in the post apocalyptic world and an adventure filled with colorful established factions and new threats? It really works.
Some zombie stories do try to do a post-post-apocalyptic thing once in a while, like what The Walking Dead went halfway through the comic.

Third, the fact that you mostly just have zombies and leave it at that. Again, it's been almost forced on the zombie genre to never really reveal what started the thing, what exactly is the cause of the outbreak, if a cure has been found or other stuff. Zombies are almost always straight-forward enemies, and that's it. For grognards who are used to various types of demons/aliens/dragons/elves and so on, this shit ain't enough. Ironically, it was this shitty Twilight clone movie that tried to do something fairly unique with zombies, by curing them with love. Every other movie though just ends abruptly, mostly with the main cast dying. I want to see people using zombies as weaponry, exploring more of their weaknesses than just SHOOT DA HEAD BRO, maybe some frankenstein zombie specimen made by sewing different zombies together.

So basically that's what's wrong with zombies. Not the zombies themselves, but everything else about the setting that just doesn't lend itself well to adventure-type of stories one is looking for fantasy movies and games.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This is also the reason why most people like Mad Max 2 over the first one, or why Fallout is a great setting. Because they're not "post-apocalyptic" as much as they're "post-post-apocalyptic". They're not about dealing with the apocalypse or surviving the impact, but rather picking up the pieces and living in a different world.

Don't muddy the definitions plz. "Dealing with apocalypse or surviving the impact" is called "apocalyptic". Fallout was post-apocalyptic.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I look forward to both games, but more so to AoD than DS.
DS has a potentially interesting combat system, but that's about it.

A survival/character-centric take on the zombie apocalypse is not a "fresh" take on zombie entertainment. In fact, a "classic" humor and/or horror-centric take on zombies would feel a lot fresher at this point. The Texas/US setting doesn't help either. Feels like The Walking Dead - The Survival RPG.

Castanova

Prophet
I can't speak for Brian but when he mentioned his idea my first thought was Romero's The Night of the Livig Dead, which was an awesome fucking zombie movie which wasn't about zombies at all.

So it sort of like saying that fantasy is overdone pointing at all the generic crap the gaming industry has been churning out for years.

Sure, but Night of the Living Dead came out in 1968. There's a massive difference between a trail-blazing film with a brain that spawned decades of shallow imitations versus a game that is entering a saturated, arguably overdone market and trying to infuse a bit of brains into it as a differentiator. Regardless of NOLD's quality, zombies are now a shit, me-too genre. It's hard to get excited when the sales pitch is "we take a shit genre and try to make it a bit less shitty!"

majestik12

Arcane
Could somebody who has played EA please explain, how exactly 'focus on deep social interaction' is implemented in this game? The screenshots only show multiple ways to tell exactly the same thing to a character. Is that it?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Asking Codex why they don't look at another zombie-themed game. Wonder why...

There is numerous game with undeads as a main enemy, liked only two, both of them are Zombie Shooter from Sigma. In case of movies - Evil Dead series. That's all.

buzz

Arcane
Evil Dead is not zombies MotherMachinae bro. It's just crazy evil spirits and shit.

If your reaction to a genre or whatever is to dislike it because many other people like it then you are still ultimately part of the trend as much as people that like it.

I'm looking forward to Dead State and AoD for the same reasons, I like turn-based RPGs and I don't care what the current market is doing.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that most people wanting to play Dead State (like me) do so despite the setting, not because of it.
The setting is only okay when you use it for something uncommon, like The Walking Dead. When you focus not on the zombies, but on everything around them. That is interesting.
And afaik, this is the design goal for Dead State.
But many people are turned down by the word zombie, no matter the actual game behind it. And I find that understandable. I mean, "zombie" almost tainted the word "survival" as well as some people seem to think survival game means zombies. Of course, Dead State is not exactly helping there...

Turjan

Arcane
I don't think people take issue because the setting is unorthodox, more like because it's the zombie apocalypse specifically

This. I'm tired of zombies specifically. I think I own dozens of zombie games, most of them shitty. If a game has anything with "zombie" as one of its major selling points, it's an automatic "No" from me nowadays. The whole trope is just incredibly boring.

Actually, I have no idea how you can describe a setting with a zombie apocalypse as "unorthodox". It's one of the most done to death settings ever.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zombie genre has never been about the zombies, or mowing them down by scores. It was always about the people, the character conflicts and what they do to survive where zombies have simply become a force of nature, which few games have tried to explore at all.

Whose shit marketing blurbs are you plagiarizing? Dead State is shaping up to be another shit zombie product where the authors try to make a soap opera with zombies in it. It's The Walking Dead with tyrannosaurus arms. No thanks.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Turjan

Arcane
Actually, I have no idea how you can describe a setting with a zombie apocalypse as "unorthodox". It's one of the most done to death settings ever.
Not in this genre
I said "setting", not "genre". I play games of lots of different genres.
Unorthodox setting for a CRPG, you goddamn animal. Take a good look where you are posting and what I was quoting
I understood you very well, which you could have easily taken from my answer. Zombies are overdone. They are about the most boring thing imaginable. Over and out.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
One that is rarely done from a certain perspective, let somebody do it right once and move on

Severian Silk

I am looking forward more to Dead State than AoD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom