Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

To AoD fans - why aren't you looking forward to Dead State?

What puts you off Dead State?

• Total voters

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll agree it's not the best setting. It doesn't exactly stretch anyone's creative ability, but I'll play it if it's good. I care more about strong systems and gameplay - setting doesn't do a whole lot to me as far as interesting me in a game.
Oh, don't get me wrong. When the game is released I'm 90% sure I'll buy it and play it (that 10% is reserved for a possibility pf codex forum posts and reviews that the game is crap), it won't be a D1P though. I'm also just not interested in the development of a game that has zombies in it. When it's out, I'll give it a try, although I won't be expecting much, but before release I do not care whatever happens with this game.

Same here, I'll play it because it's a VD-approved RPG by Brian and Annie Mitsoda, who should be capable to make something interesting. It might be fun enough for one playthrough, but it has little chance of becoming one of my favourite RPGs (while AoD has a pretty good chance).

Derek Larp

Cipher
Zombies suck. They should replace them with dinosaurs or alien horrors (like in 'The Mist'), then you could have post-apoc survival storylines about the human condition but also cool enemies.

Gozma

Arcane
I wish they'd have at least gone with like Return of the Living Dead zombies or something instead of the kind of standard modern "infection" zombies. The SMIZ hardly even seems like it would be a legit apocalyptic threat without adding in things like making it an airborne infection that kills 99% of people outright anyway, which is just a contagion apocalypse with a retarded little brother.

But then the whole game is gonna hinge on how they do risk/reward with the sound and infection mechanics, which do hinge on SMIZ tropes. If they fuck it up it's gonna be clicking out four character's worth of AP mindlessly whacking a zombie with a pipe for hours of playtime.

DefJam101

Arcane
That's like asking why people looking forward to Pillars of Eternity are not excited for Armored Warfare... they are very different games.
AW and PoE are extremely different. AoD and DS, less so.
One is CYOA Fallout and the other is a zombie survival game with emotionally engaging dialog

Also I'd imagine most people are uninterested due to lack of interest in the game's uninteresting setting and the game's immense potential to be flat out bad (as most zombie-related games are)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
AoD is a post-apocalyptic fantasy survival game with dialogue. :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With all this talk about how zombie games are actually about survival, I really crave a proper survival RPG without zombies. Say, you play a party of shipwrecked people on an island, or a party of plane crash survivors in a large forest away from civilization. Get food, build shelters, learn to craft stuff like tools, weapons and clothes, fend off wild animals and possibly aggressive natives too, etc etc. Now that would be a proper survival-themed game with an interesting premise!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Better yet, how about you're the last zombie after an unsuccessful zombie outbreak. The fate of zombiekind lies in your clumsy hands for you're the last of your kind. For now...

garren

Arcane
Patron
With all this talk about how zombie games are actually about survival, I really crave a proper survival RPG without zombies. Say, you play a party of shipwrecked people on an island, or a party of plane crash survivors in a large forest away from civilization. Get food, build shelters, learn to craft stuff like tools, weapons and clothes, fend off wild animals and possibly aggressive natives too, etc etc. Now that would be a proper survival-themed game with an interesting premise!
Poe's Law?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242760/

Edit: Oh ok missed the 'rpg' there.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Everybody bitching about zombies can just fuck off as far as I'm concerned. They're a great tool for either horror, comedy, suspense of even, gasp, social commentary.

That said, I'm not particularly looking forward to Dead State at the moment because the demo felt so utterly underwhelming to me. Then again, AoD did the same so what do I know.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure why there's so much hate for the zombie thing. I like the genre just fine* and my wife & daughter also enjoy watching The Walking Dead so I get to share a little of my geekness with them... which doesn't happen that often. :D

Maybe it's because I can kind of relate to them seeing as I look like one after being snacked on. :troll:

Better yet, how about you're the last zombie after an unsuccessful zombie outbreak. The fate of zombiekind lies in your clumsy hands for you're the last of your kind. For now...
That premise somewhat reminded me of this forgotten gem:
xwpQjuX.jpg

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Oh, I know what turns me off Dead State - the suburban setting. Classic american suburb with those little houses and white picket fences and everything. Why not do something interesting, like a city or better, Canadian countryside, or maybe something European with castle ruins (think DayZ) etc. I hated the episodes of Walking Dead that dealt with staying in the suburbs, it's just such a boring setting.

Canadian countryside would kill the shit out of zombies during the winter. All you gotta do to survive is move to Edmonton or Winnipeg

Derek Larp

Cipher
Everybody bitching about zombies can just fuck off as far as I'm concerned. They're a great tool for either horror, comedy, suspense of even, gasp, social commentary.

I gave it some thought, and it's not really zombies per se that I dislike, it's the enamorment of popular ('nerd') culture with zombies and zombie apocalpses that's getting on my nerves, and the setting just feels bland as fuck to me at this time.
Give me some fucked-up lovecraftian voodoo shit with zombies and I'd be a happy camper.

Dunno 'bout the game though. If it's a good game the zombie apocalypse setting wouldn't be a reason not to play it.

praetor

Arcane
voted out of pity because roguey is a woman so she can't vote

anyway, hate the zombies. most dull, boring, stupid, 1-dimensional enemies/"antagonists" ever

Lhynn

Arcane
voted out of pity because roguey is a woman so she can't vote
:lol:

praetor said:
anyway, hate the zombies. most dull, boring, stupid, 1-dimensional enemies/"antagonists" ever
Dont be retarded, zombies arent the enemy, they are the setting, the enemies are other human factions fighting for resources, and the members of your own group if they dont perceive you as a good leader or one that aligns with their interests, the enemy is time, as the resources are limited, the enemy is the disease, as your guys or you yourself can get infected, any of your fully developed companions can die. Its actually a pretty intriguing setup, i just hope the writing and the combat are good.

It should end up being something along the lines of turn based RPG + turn based Strategy with lots of C&C and reactivity.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
^
That's right. Sure the game has zombies, but it's not about zombies. Zombies is currently an overdone gerne, yes. But only for popamole bullshit games. Show me one postapocalyptic survival RPG with allegedly lots of C&C and reactivity? I expect instense experience, if they are doing it right.

The game has just gone a bit off radar. And with all the incline happening...it will have hard time, i guess.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm a big AoD fan, and I have pre-ordered Dead State. I like the idea of building a small society after the world is ruined by monsters/zombies. The 7 day beta is pretty awful, though, so that probably turns a lot of people off. Needs a lot more content, writing and plot could be improved, and more places to visit and things to do. I expect all that will happen, though, and I anticipate a good game down the road.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom