Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 5 best Demon's/Dark Souls boss themes

SumDrunkGuy

boot

Prophet
Agree with Maiden Astrea as #1, rest of the list is bad!

Sif's theme, as well as Gwyn's theme (plebe pick, but it's good, sounds like Midna's lament exactly. music buffs: do these two songs follow some certain format or type, or is one a simple ripoff of the other, or are they both ripoffs?) should be on the list.

SumDrunkGuy

Sir Alonne bad? Tower Knight bad? Come on man I was expecting #5 to be controversial as fuck but the other ones are cemented classics.

Mozg

Arcane
All just sounds like lesser Castlevania cheese to me.

O&S music dug a rut in my brain but it's purely from context and repetition.

Hyperion

Arcane
No Bloodborne is sacrilege. Ludwig takes it going away. The crescendo is otherworldly. In no particular order, Fume Knight, Gaping Dragon, Looking Glass Knight, and Lorian & Lothric as the bright spot of DS3.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The best music from the Souls series is "One Who Craves Souls" from the "evil" ending of Demon's Souls; it's far better than any music used for boss battles.

For that matter, most of the other standout music in the series is played either at the beginning of the games (The Beginning, Tales of Old, Prologue, Departure, Fire Keepers), in the area used as the central hub (Maiden in Black, Firelink Shrine, Majula), or in the endings (Return to Slumber, Nameless Song, Longing).

I suppose out of the boss battles I'd select Maiden Astraea, Ornstein & Smough, and Queen of Drangleic as the best of their respective games (haven't yet played Dark Souls III).

Yhorm theme is just chrous full of badass sovereign element, intimidating but sadly; it just made worse with lame bossfight and gimmicky mechanic.

out of 4 lord of cinder, yhorm theme is just felt unique to me. No creepy one woman wail, or sad tune and choir which basically flooding all yuki Kitamura composition.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And so we've learned music taste is subjective.

In my book Souls music in general is interesting in the best cases and South-American-brass-orchestra-cringy in the worst. By and large it sounds exactly like what it is - as if an average composer with deeply hardwired Asian music sensibilities tried to compose a Western-type OST.

Compared to some genuinelly good classical/orchestral videogame scores (Witcher 3 or Skyrim from the top of my head) it's not even in the same league.

Hyperion

Arcane
Well, we're talking about 4 (or 5, since I'm considering BB because fuck it) games, each with a unique song per boss. This gives us well over 100 songs (plus the creation, ending, and hub songs) and only 3 - 5 stand out for most of us. The composer for the Dark Souls games probably has the lengthiest resume in JRPG's, he's gotta be dialing it in at this point.

On the other hand, I've always felt that most WRPG's are generic "epic" orchestral themes that could all replace one another with no major changes. Jeremy Soule is guilty of doing this in probably every game after Icewind Dale. In IWD, he still utilized some of the style that made Secret of Evermore work in that he used a lot of ambient sounds instead of all brass all the time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
On the other hand, I've always felt that most WRPG's are generic "epic" orchestral themes that could all replace one another with no major changes.

Oh sure, but that goes for everything - most things in life are average, kindda by definition. That's not the issue here tho. Btw Soule definitely isn't average, he reuses a lot of his ideas but at least he has some.

these are objectively the only right answers :M

also one epic bombastic shit

and one animu tier

Abyss Watchers for muh feelings and Homoprinces theme for that castlevania vibe are also cool.

Yuka Kitamura is my waifu :positive:

Most of the great themes were already posted, so i will choose a different one, the best theme for an awful boss, such a waste

PhlebasIskander

Literate
Not sure what the point is in ranking boss themes arbitrarily. Do you mean the ones that you enjoy the most listening to? Or that fit the best the boss fight? Or for no particular reason?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom