Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top-Down-Scrolling Shoot 'em ups

:Flash:

Arcane
I'm looking for top-down scrolling shoot 'em ups. I think that's what they are called, aren't they?
But not just any. My requirements are:
- Good music
- Pixel graphics
- Somewhat "realistic" objects

In other words, I really like Raptor: Call of the Shadows and Ravage.
I do not like Xenon 2 or Tyrian 2000 all that much. The enemies are too abstract for me, and the gameplay is not my cup of tea either.
Any suggestions?

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, of recent stuff, Jamestown was kind of nice, and it's pixel graphics, so.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I'm looking for top-down scrolling shoot 'em ups. I think that's what they are called, aren't they?
Shooters are divided into vertical (what you're looking for) and horizontal (R-type, Thunderforce, Agony etc)

How pixelated must the graphics be? Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga are some of the best vertical shmups of all time and stand out from the crowd due to their innovative mechanics. Ikaruga is on Steam but it's a more recent game and might have too detailed graphics (with some 3D effects) for your taste, but Battle Garegga and Radiant Silvergun look more traditional as they're older

Top 10 games according to the shmup form (from 2011)

01 Battle Garegga (ARC/SAT) 6.76 + + * + + + . .
02 Armed Police Batrider (ARC) 6.08 * * + * + + + +
03 Dodonpachi daioujou Black/White (ARC/360/PS2) 5.85 * + + + + . . +
04 Ketsui kizuna jigoku tachi (ARC/360) 5.61 * * * * * * . -
05 Dodonpachi (ARC/SAT/PS1) 5.56 - - - - - . - -
06 ESPGaluda (ARC/PS2) 4.17 * * + + + . . +
07 Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (ARC/360) 4.03 * * * * * * + +
08 Ikaruga (ARC/DC/GC/XBLA) 3.80 - - - - - - . -
09 Raiden Fighters Jet (ARC/360) 3.71 * * * * * * + -
10 Muchi Muchi Pork! (ARC/360) 3.47 * * * * * * * *

If you think realistic/believable/modern enemy design is more important than game design, then Ikaruga might not be the best game to start from. Battle Garegga on the other hand has more conventional enemies.

:Flash:

Arcane
Varth: Operation Thunderstorm
Played it on MAME, it's really good.
That looks great, except for the side scrolling.

With Ikaruga, there's just too much going on. I don't understand the gameplay of the shooters where you're hit constantly. I think it really must "hurt" to get hit by anything. So shooters where the whole screen is going crazy are not my cup of tea. Jamestown doesn't really convince me, from what I've seen on youtube.

Gunsmoke and Raiden Fighters look fun as well.

spectre

Arcane
I do not like [...] Tyrian 2000 all that much. The enemies are too abstract for me, and the gameplay is not my cup of tea either.
:mob:

Here, have a treat:

Suicidal

Arcane
Played some indie shooter called Kamui a couple of years ago. I liked it and I think it fits your criteria:

-Good pixel graphics, music's pretty good too
-Nice balance between "too much shit is happening on the screen" and "not enough is happening"
-Reasonably realistic aesthetics (for these type of games at least) - no abstract, incomprehensible enemies, just planes, tanks and giant robots

Here's a gameplay vid, so judge for yourself:

Main problem that's it's in Japanese, but it's not like you need to understand shit to play these kind of games anyway. But maybe there's an actual English version now, I played it so long ago, so not sure...

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
shmups.system11 also made a TOP 20 Doujin shmups list some time ago, Kamui is on the third spot. I would play the best "legit" games first before trying indy games though, for obvious reasons

1 Crimzon Clover 91.5
2 Touhou 12: Undefined Fantastic Object 81
3 Kamui 67.6
4 Hellsinker 61.23
5 Touhou 07: Perfect Cherry Blossom 61
6 ChoRenSha68k 52
7 Touhou 08: Imperishable Night 42.5
8 Judgment Silversword 39
9 Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith 26.5
10 Blue Wish Resurrection (+) 26
11 Samidare 21.16
12(T) Touhou 06: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil 20.5
12(T) Eden's Aegis 20.5
14 Hitogata Happa 20
15 ring^-27 18.5
16 Satazius 16
17 RefRain Prism Memories 15
18(T) Jamestown 14
18(T) Hydorah 14
18(T) Exceed 3rd 14

If the guy doesn't want games with small hitboxes/too much going on then shmups forum's list won't be much good to him, since they have a massive bias towards bullet hells. It doesn't matter if the games are good if they're a style he doesn't like. Not that their list is even that good anyway. I mean, ESPgaluda and MMP are in the top ten shooters ever? Really?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Total Carnage was the game I played all the time when I had an SNES.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
If you want a good shmup there is one game I would strongly recommend though it doesn't fit all the criteria* in the op: Einhander (PSone, runs with no hussle on the ePSXe emulator). It's the best sidescrolling shoot'em up I have ever played.
-"classic" straighforward gameplay mechanics and weapons without any gimmicky stuff
- interesting boss fights
- decent difficulty level but not bullet hell
- aestethicaly pleasing, the style is very japanese but in a good way. It's like all the cool stuff distilled from sci fi animu: awesome mecha design, cyberpunk-ish atmosphere and electronic music but without any raibow puke on the screen, kawaii stuff, annoying sounds and angsty teenagers shouting stupid crap

*It's a sidescroller and doesn't have 2d graphics.

Suicidal

Arcane
If you want a good shmup there is one game I would strongly recommend though it doesn't fit all the criteria* in the op: Einhander (PSone, runs with no hussle on the ePSXe emulator). It's the best sidescrolling shoot'em up I have ever played.
-"classic" straighforward gameplay mechanics and weapons without any gimmicky stuff
- interesting boss fights
- decent difficulty level but not bullet hell
- aestethicaly pleasing, the style is very japanese but in a good way. It's like all the cool stuff distilled from sci fi animu: awesome mecha design, cyberpunk-ish atmosphere and electronic music but without any raibow puke on the screen, kawaii stuff, annoying sounds and angsty teenagers shouting stupid crap

*It's a sidescroller and doesn't have 2d graphics.

I'll second this. Awesome game, played it way back. Doesn't fit some of your requirements, though, since it's not top-down and doesn't have pixel graphics but well worth a look nevertheless.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I just remembered an old shoot 'em up game called Fight of Destiny.

DraQ

Arcane
I do not like (...) Tyrian 2000 all that much.
Shun+the+non-believer!!!1!.bmp

I'm looking for top-down scrolling shoot 'em ups (...) The enemies are too abstract for me
u wot m8?

dunno lah

Arcane
He likes the more grounded feel of Raptor. I kinda feel the same way too. Why hasn't anyone tried marrying Raptor's AV with Tyrian's design??

Tyrian is honestly kind of a bad game. I can't dislike it since I have good memories playing it when I was like seven, but it's just not very good. Giving the player a constantly recharging shield was stupid. The game is built around the concept that you'll constantly be taking damage and regenerating it, and that doesn't make for a good shooter.

Wasteland 2
SWIV

I don't care about the genre, but loved it on my amiga. I think the artstyle is awesome and it's the kind of game you're asking for. Similar to Banshee above, but futuristic.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom