Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top modern jrpgs?

Arthandas

Liturgist
Anything good from the recent years which can be played on pc that would change my mind about all jrpgs being inherently shit?

Everything I tried lately (FFXII, Star Ocean TLH, ToBerseria, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear...) was total crap.
I liked Nier and Nioh but I don't consider them jrpgs.

Persona 5 and Bravely Default seem right up my alley though they can't be comfortably emulated (yet).

I don't even want to be edgy anymore, I just want one good jrpg without retarded story/characters, good exploration and challenging combat. Please, one good jrpg and I'll buy the fedora/katana weeaboo starter kit to be just like you.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Persona 5 and Bravely Default seem right up my alley
I just want one good jrpg without retarded story/characters, good exploration and challenging combat.
mmyeah.

Anyway, try Romancing Saga 2. If you're not above SNES graphics, it has everything that you say you're looking for.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Trails in the Sky is good. It's got combat that maintains a decent level of challenge, with plenty of customization. It does have a focus on story and characters though, so buyer beware I guess.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Anyway, try Romancing Saga 2. If you're not above SNES graphics, it has everything that you say you're looking for.
Noted, though it's not a modern game... Does it have any connections to Romancing Saga on PS2?

f3d7fe4b7934ce9677ef949cc2dc76d3.gif

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Arthandas

Liturgist
Trails in the Sky is good. It's got combat that maintains a decent level of challenge, with plenty of customization. It does have a focus on story and characters though, so buyer beware I guess.

Trails series :love:
To be honest, it's one of those popular picks that I just can't force myself to try. I guess I'll do so now. Any way to unlock the nightmare mode from the start?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Or ELEX, or Nier. C'mon there were not that many Japan made RPGs. (ELEX is actually German game partially paid by government.)

Trails in the Sky is actually nice. Agarest: Generations of War is kinda passable. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 if it's still an RPG...

Arthandas

Liturgist
First 10 minutes of TitS: terrible intro, reused assets from Ys and blurry sprites looking like someone jizzed all over them. Boy, what a treat it's going to be... But let's not judge the book by its cover. I'm soldiering on in search of titular tits.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
A lot of people complain that the game starts slow and nothing seems to happen at the start (plot-wise) but then they get hooked when the game really picks up the pace.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Sorry, I can't endure any more of this shit. Each line of dialog feels like someone punching me in the brain. Pillars of Eternity feels like War and Peace in comparison.
Fuck it, I'm out. I'm not touching any more jrpgs unless someone puts a gun to my head. No country should be nuked twice...

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Labyrinth of Touhou 1/2 just got a sparkling Codex review, if you're confined to PC.
Also, why was there no mention of Shin Megami Tensei? I get that SMT4 will be hard to emulate right now, but anyone can play, say, Nocturne or Strange Journey nowadays.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Radiant Historia? That's probably the last one that I'd include but if you don't like Falcom dialogue then you might as well just stick to Cormac Mccarthy novels and avoid video game writing altogether.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
A lot of people complain that the game starts slow and nothing seems to happen at the start (plot-wise) but then they get hooked when the game really picks up the pace.
I'm at the end, can vouch for how good it gets.

jungl

Augur
trails is mediocre as fuck. Most falcom games make jrpgs look like a shit genre for retards. You honestly better off emulating gba, ps1 or any thousands of other jrpgs/rpg lite action games out there like megaman legends or battle networks blows trails out the water. LOL sad thing is the megaman rpgs have better story and writing then trails even when the plot is more predictable then most children cartoons.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
trails is mediocre as fuck. Most falcom games make jrpgs look like a shit genre for retards. You honestly better off emulating gba, ps1 or any thousands of other jrpgs/rpg lite action games out there like megaman legends or battle networks blows trails out the water. LOL sad thing is the megaman rpgs have better story and writing then trails even when the plot is more predictable then most children cartoons.

What do you think of Torment: Tides of Numenera? :philosoraptor:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom