Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rev

Arcane
I just looked at his profile and found this... :lol:

imweasel said:
Hello there, Mr. McCuck. We have been bathing in your liberal tears. It is wonderful. :D

Which pairs with that time when Bester (iirc) called Heine a degenerate cuck or something like that. Yeah, can't guess why they don't post here anymore. :M

I just looked at his profile and found this... :lol:

imweasel said:
Hello there, Mr. McCuck. We have been bathing in your liberal tears. It is wonderful. :D

Which pairs with that time when Bester (iirc) called Heine a degenerate cuck or something like that. Yeah, can't guess why they don't post here anymore. :M
On the one hand - Bester sure doesn't know how to behave in a polite society. On the other - 'dex isn't a polite society. But still I felt kinda bad for Heine, McComb was (and still is) a more appropriate target.

Late to the party, but I looked at their current lead writer's LinkedIn, and it's a total disaster. Blizzard miscellaneous writing and editing Wildstar MMO are among his main achievements, oh, and also this.
"Freelance Writer
Cracked
August 2007 – January 2010 (2 years 6 months)Home
Wrote comedy articles for Cracked.com on a freelance basis. They are available through the link in the "Projects" section below."

So now at least I have an explanation for this gem:
It’s while I’m asking about the process of writing that world in such granular detail that McComb and lead writer Gavin Jurgens-Fhyrie get to talking about the Genital Naming system, or GNS. “We didn't want any characters to feel the same,” says Jurgens-Fhyrie. “You'll feel the same way once you play through this game, you'll see that a lot of the characters are unique and odd.”

“One character [in particular], his line, I think it was, ‘Grim and weathered visage - it looks like he has lots of tales to tell’. I was like, ‘Colin, I think I'm gonna have to tell a lot of tales in this one’. He tells a lot of damn tales. So we started talking, and as we do when we talk, we inevitably skew dirty. So started on/talking about his ‘grim, weathered pecker’.

“So we were like, ‘Is he really a pecker talker?’” says McComb. “Then we realised: wait a second. If he calls it his pecker, what does his companion call his dick? The way one talks about their genitalia, the pair realised, is a real window into the psyche.
[src]

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
w5DJbB7.png

:hero:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
On the one hand - Bester sure doesn't know how to behave in a polite society. On the other - 'dex isn't a polite society. But still I felt kinda bad for Heine, McComb was (and still is) a more appropriate target.

Well, I don’t. The only reason why they didn’t reply in the same venom is because they are developers. The reality is that they are more fanatics than the ultra-right dudes we have on the Codex because they are hypocrites. They preach diversity, but are intolerant, they preach an open mind, but are dogmatic. Their twitter of these guys is filled with political fanaticism and agendas. On the Codex you may find racist dudes telling not many nice things in your face, but at the end of day, it’s a diverse and harmonious ecosystem. The irony is that Codex of all places implements real diversity, it doesn’t preach it. In what other corner of the internet you will find Nazis, trans, jews, blacks, Brazilians, germans, polacs, homos, heteros, bisexuals all talking about the same things? Only on the dex.

A lot of problems for the fans with this game:
- first they delay the game 1 year due to localization;
- then they announce console version;
- then publisher;
- then the problem with the CE;
- now the italian version is no more.

Fairfax

Arcane
- then publisher;
Delayed for 26 months, actually.
Also:
- Project Lead fired;
- cut companions;
- cut factions;
- more cut content Fargo didn't want to mention.

At this rate, there's probably a lot of stretch goal content they won't deliver. I'm curious to see all the areas added as stretch goals, specially the "second major city".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
- then publisher;
Also:
- Project Lead fired;
- cut companions;
- cut factions;

At this rate, there's probably a lot of stretch goal content they won't deliver. I'm curious to see all the areas added as stretch goals, specially the "second major city".

It's all for the better, bro. Ask, Inshillitron. "It's just like PST". PST had troubled development so it's only natural that this one is the same.

Going by all this stuff, Fargo's totally honest sounding "this publisher deal is totally different, right? not like the others, right?" looks like more bullshit that ever.
More than likely he had to do a pretty shitty deal with Techland to get them to give him money.

Sizzle

Arcane
I'm curious to see all the areas added as stretch goals, specially the "second major city".

The underwater one, right?

We saw the PC swimming around in an underwater area that looks like it, so we know it's going to be in, but it'll be interesting to see if the same lack of content has befallen it as PoE's "second major city".

Fairfax

Arcane
- then publisher;
Also:
- Project Lead fired;
- cut companions;
- cut factions;

It's all for the better, bro. Ask, Inshillitron. "It's just like PST". PST had troubled development so it's only natural that this one is the same.

Going by all this stuff, Fargo's totally honest sounding "this publisher deal is totally different, right? not like the others, right?" looks like more bullshit that ever.
More than likely he had to do a pretty shitty deal with Techland to get them to give him money.
They got a publisher to pay for localization and they still cut one of the languages. Fargo acts like he had a lot of leverage, but the KS budget is long gone by now and not having translations would significantly hurt sales. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a bad deal, but then again the publisher is pretty bad, so who knows.

I'm curious to see all the areas added as stretch goals, specially the "second major city".

The underwater one, right?

We saw the PC swimming around in an underwater area that looks like it, so we know it's going to be in, but it'll be interesting to see if the same lack of content has befallen it as PoE's "second major city".
Yes, it's supposed to be this one:

However, the last time they mentioned the second city was in January 2015, and the "World of Numenera" trailer, which shows several of the game's locations, doesn't mention the Oasis at all:

Sizzle

Arcane
Very much doubt they just cut out the entire place (especially after we saw they implemented swimming and art for it), but like you said, the whole production has been weird, so - anything's possible, I suppose.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm stating the obvious but I think this game is going to be a big hit for them. I hope so, because even if youd don't particularly care for the new batch of Kickstarter RPGs, they have put old-school RPGs back on the map again. So for that alone these guys and gals are important and get respeck from me. :)

Second, I admit I was sleeping on this Numenera game. I generally don't like 20-30 hour RPGs, which is what I thought this would be, even if there are lots of choices and branches, etc. But it looks like the game will be bigger and shoot, it looks great overall. So I'm into it.

That said, my upcoming most hyped title has to be Bard's Tale IV. That might actually be a day one play for me, which is unheard of for me anymore. :)

Super Trigger the Codex Mode Activated - Also looking forward to Wasteland 3 a lot since my old man and I can co-op it with 2 controllers on PC. :M

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
If they won't include city areas content, is it possible they release it as later DLC expansion?

I'm stating the obvious but I think this game is going to be a big hit for them. I hope so, because even if youd don't particularly care for the new batch of Kickstarter RPGs, they have put old-school RPGs back on the map again. So for that alone these guys and gals are important and get respeck from me. :)

Me too. I really hope that this will bring new players to old school RPGs and that Torment 3 would be even better.
TTON is one of the most ambitious project I've seen.

Most of all, I hope this title will ignite that old spark which I had for Planescape Torment and Shadows of Amn long long ago.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Here's something interesting I just noticed:

The first picture is a screencap from the "World of Numenera" trailer, and the second one is the official map from a while ago.

Notice how the trailer map shows The Lost Sea but doesn't mention the Oasis, which is supposed to be right in the middle of it. All the other locations are depicted. The Oasis being absent is the only major change in that area of the map.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Notice how the trailer map shows The Lost Sea but doesn't mention the Oasis, which is supposed to be right in the middle of it. All the other locations are depicted. The Oasis being absent is the only major change in that area of the map.

I think that's because first map has distanced shot than 2nd one. Second one is more closer to camera so it has Oasis titled. I could be wrong.

Fairfax

Arcane

I think that's because first map has distanced shot than 2nd one. Second one is more closer to camera so it has Oasis titled. I could be wrong.
Here's a better picture, it shows most of the desert and the area where the Oasis is supposed to be:

I think it's gone, folks. :M

Also, why there is no mention of a Codex like in Original PS:T? That was such a great feature in the game, every NPC had detailed info about them. Even Pillars of Eternity has that even with no "million word count".
No day/night cycle is another thing I don't get. I do hope that we will get a world map with the option to travel anywhere.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Well, I don’t. The only reason why they didn’t reply in the same venom is because they are developers. The reality is that they are more fanatics than the ultra-right dudes we have on the Codex because they are hypocrites. They preach diversity, but are intolerant, they preach an open mind, but are dogmatic. Their twitter of these guys is filled with political fanaticism and agendas. On the Codex you may find racist dudes telling not many nice things in your face, but at the end of day, it’s a diverse and harmonious ecosystem. The irony is that Codex of all places implements real diversity, it doesn’t preach it. In what other corner of the internet you will find Nazis, trans, jews, blacks, Brazilians, germans, polacs, homos, heteros, bisexuals all talking about the same things? Only on the dex.
No, there is not a lot of people that are more fanatical than some of the Codex posters. Since I am pretty sure these Codex clowns don't actually go to streets to punch and shoot people they don't like, they are at least less fanatical than those people on both sides of the left-right spectrum.
Our Codex clowns are in my observation more bark than bite, but they bark very loudly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom