Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Weasel
If you didn't know how the system worked, you weren't paying attention.
A system in theory is =/= how it works in practice.

You should have known that certain elements would be added-in at the last moment and trusted in the perfection of Josh's vision:

In Project Eternity, the blueprint for a nigh-perfect RPG, the attributes are going to be the very last thing he puts into the game because of how problematic they are.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
nano is a class

Honest question - did they do this because they had to use Numenara's nomenclature or did they have the option to rename it and still stuck to this idiocy?

I mean, as Adam Heine keeps reminding us, this is set a BILLION years in the future, after 8 civilisations, each having lasted 25,000 times as long as ours has so far. Since a key concept of this setting seems to be Clarke's Cook's Third Law, it makes no sense that we can rationalise the Numenara in terms of today's scientific terminology (NANOBOTZ!!) unless there's some hidden Wheel of Time stuff going on - we should be as clueless about stuff like the Iron Wind as the Ninth World-ers are. It also makes no sense that words like "nano" have stayed in scientific use after 8 civilisations rose and fell and were familiar enough to become everyday words, 1 billion years in the future. So yeah, in setting, "nano" is just plain silly. Out of setting, it is just plain lazy (everything agris said).

That's nothing! Did you know the game's dialogue is going to be in English, too? So implausible.
Plus the term "nano" isn't used in a scientific way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A system in theory is =/= how it works in practice.
Everything about the system conforms to my expectations of how it would look like during the beta period. I have amazing powers of analysis that often lead to amazingly accurate predictions.

But appearently Josh thinks that it is great as it is, it just needs balancing.
He's right. Also note: none of the feedback he's received has surprised him. The most honest person in the industry would be forthcoming if he was blindsided by system critiques.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are disgusting. Maybe you should check the PoE beta thread and read how banal Josh's system turned out.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DragonCon is a huge gross nerd orgy btw and I mean that in the literal sense. What happens in Atlanta will stay in Atlanta.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So, this is a Torment thread. Let's talk about Torment.

If you could go ahead and clamp down on Roguey's constant edgewise shoehorning of PoE and Josh Sawyer into formerly high-quality General RPG Discussion threads, that'd be swell.

Simulation of the results of closing the original PoE thread to further posts:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you could go ahead and clamp down on Roguey's constant edgewise shoehorning of PoE and Josh Sawyer into formerly high-quality General RPG Discussion threads, that'd be swell.
Pretty weird how you'd interrupt the current semi-on-topic discussion of the sexual misadventures of Chris, Monte, and Shanna to make an off-topic post complaining about me.

Also I didn't shoehorn anything in here, J_C brought it up.

accismus

Literate
That's nothing! Did you know the game's dialogue is going to be in English, too? So implausible.

Sure. That's just as implausible as human beings actually controlling Ninth World-ers through computers in an RPG. Why not go full retard?

Has no bearing whatsoever on the setting though. (Hint: There's a difference between game presentation and game lore)

Plus the term "nano" isn't used in a scientific way.

So we have Jacks as in jacks-of-all-trades, Glaives as in people who fight and Nanos as in...a Latin prefix meaning dwarf? :lol:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sure. That's just as implausible as human beings actually controlling Ninth World-ers through computers in an RPG. Why not go full retard?

Has no bearing whatsoever on the setting though. (Hint: There's a difference between game presentation and game lore)

The game lore...which is written in English.

accismus

Literate

Which would be...the presentation of the game lore? As opposed to the content of the game lore? Which is actually what I was talking about? I mean, not everyone is a Tolkein, I get that. But some self consistency within the game lore would be nice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Which would be...the presentation of the game lore? As opposed to the content of the game lore? Which is actually what I was talking about? I mean, not everyone is a Tolkein, I get that. But some self consistency within the game lore would be nice.

The ancient Greeks spoke of atoms. I don't see why the term "nano" should be considered 21st century human civilization-specific, semantically.

accismus

Literate

The ancient Greeks spoke of atoms. I don't see why the term "nano" should be considered 21st century human civilization-specific, semantically.

Well if nano in TToN doesn't refer to anything 21st century or scientific at all, the most common other meaning would be from Latin for "very, very small" or "dwarf"... I take it those don't seem as strange to you as they do to me? <shrug>

DCg7Fae.jpg

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Nano is a term is expect to be around till the end of time actually. The metric system will prove pretty resilient. You can quote me on that.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's already in the options menu... we share many benefits with Pillars of Eternity's technology.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
sea
is there any approximate date for alpha-test? I just can't wait:negative:
at least tell if it'll be this year or 2015?

There's no way it'll be this year. W2 isn't even officially out yet.
It'll be out on September 19, so there are still October, November and December. In one of the updates it was said that alpha test can be later this year... and a new screenshot was promised in the beginning of the year, still nothing:| The last update was 3 months ago. I'm desperate.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, they canceled the game and spending our monies on booze and hookers! Next update probably inculde some "entertaining" pictures.
Just be patient mate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom