Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Deleted member 7219

I had to do a presentation for work recently. I was sat in a room full of German engineers and I was trying to explain things to them. It didn't go well, not because they were dumb (they weren't) but because I forgot how to talk properly and kept skipping slides, or repeating the same stuff. Thankfully I redeemed myself over the next couple of days by explaining things on a one-to-one basis.

My point being that it is really fucking hard to deliver a presentation, and being able to successfully deliver a presentation doesn't mean squat if you are terrible at everything else.

Athelas

Arcane
He clearly tried to tackle the task of the presentation by putting all his effort points into Speed, hence the super-fast rate of speech.

(Presumably spending the effort on Might would've led to him punching the person who asked about ludonarrative dissonance.)

Weasel
I used to do quite a few professional presentations. Something I learned very early on was that the key (for me) was just treating it as if I was talking to one person not something to be treated very differently. I don't mean the basics of spreading eye contact around or whatever, I mean that a lot of people get a "presentation" voice different to their usual one, often a bit sing-song or over-rehearsed, which is the quickest way to put everyone to sleep. Others speak faster when nervous. If people feel like you're actually talking to them and not reading a rehearsed speech it goes a lot better.

This comes naturally to most people with practice, as does conquering nerves. It's quite funny how talking to one or two people is no problem but there comes a point as the audience grows where suddenly it becomes more stressful. But with a bit of practice addressing hundreds of people can feel as easy as addressing a small group.

But I agree with Tuluse, I don't really care if my favourite RPG designers are good at presentation or not. It kind of goes with the territory that they're often a bit geeky and unpolished.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Well, even with all the speed-talking he still had trouble keeping within the allotted time, so it might have had more to do with the fact that he couldn't cut down the material to fit their schedule.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I still can't believe they put Inquisition on the "IE descendants" slide. If it were Origins, it would be somewhat justified but what the hell do they think DA:I has in common with any of IE games? I mean even Dungeon Siege would feel more at home there than Bioware's latest contribution to the fetid pool of decline.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still can't believe they put Inquisition on the "IE descendants" slide. If it were Origins, it would be somewhat justified but what the hell do they think DA:I has in common with any of IE games? I mean even Dungeon Siege would feel more at home there than Bioware's latest contribution to the fetid pool of decline.

It's a descendant of Origins, which is a descendant of the IE games? Just wanted to throw in a recent reference point, I guess.

(you shouldn't take these things too seriously btw)

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there no nerd with the leisure and the time to create a family tree showing all the relationships from Baldur's Gate to Sword Coast Legends?!

hiver

Wait what...

The start of the game is Sorrow destroying Changing God "moon" above the Earth and him escaping in a pod? A pod?

Like... some sort of a bucket inside of which you shoot down to earth? Out of all the fantastic technologies and remains of previous civilizations and all the Changing Gods knowledge and powers... he escapes in a fucking pod?
Thats the mad escape plan a genius has?

Which is then hit by a what? pseudo what? pseudopod power?

And then the Sorrow, this unimaginably powerful entity... cannot track where a single dumb pod fell?

And then PC awakens inside that pod because ... what? Changing god left that body ... and flew off to another body....?

Then why the fuck did he need any escape pods?

oohh... youre making a game for infinitron.

:lol:

can i have my hundred dollars back?

Last edited by a moderator:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
can i have my hundred dollars back?

Spacecraft capable of re-entry is some pretty radical technology for a society with a baseline medieval level understanding of science.

As far as I'm concerned, + for being an Arcanum reference.

hiver

next!

btw, CMcC

this is the very fundamental reason why narrative in games sucks so much and will continue to SUCK.

because the gameplay does not follow the narrative but instead the narrative is convulsed and mutilated in order to have "epic" moments nobody fucking needs to start with.

except lowest common denominators.

- and i know its not your fault, and i know who came in and did "lets make the beginning awesome fuckyeah my consoles dreams will come true!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikolaj

Educated
Wait what...

The start of the game is Sorrow destroying Changing God "moon" above the Earth and him escaping in a pod? A pod?

Like... some sort of a bucket inside of which you shoot down to earth? Out of all the fantastic technologies and remains of previous civilizations and all the Changing Gods knowledge and powers... he escapes in a fucking pod?
Thats the mad escape plan a genius has?

Which is then hit by a what? pseudo what? pseudopod power?

And then the Sorrow, this unimaginably powerful entity... cannot track where a single dumb pod fell?

And then PC awakens inside that pod because ... what? Changing god left that body ... and flew off to another body....?

Then why the fuck did he need any escape pods?

How is this an RPG anyway!? All you do is press one butten!

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I just noticed in a couple of weeks, it'll be two years since the game was funded. Wow, that went quick. Anyone know if inXile has an eta or timeline on alpha, beta, finished game. Or at least what timeframe they're aiming for? I'm not in a rush, just curious.

Whiran

Magister
Spacecraft capable of re-entry is some pretty radical technology for a society with a baseline medieval level understanding of science.

As far as I'm concerned, + for being an Arcanum reference.
In the Ninth World technology is prevalent and everywhere. While societies may have regressed to a relatively young starting stage in terms of social development and understanding the technology from previous civilizations is -everywhere- and highly advanced.

Spacecraft still exist.
Portals exist.

Even time travel (as much as I hate the concept in games and shows) exists and can be tapped into by nanos.

I'm with Hiver on this one - if that is the start of the game that is such a remarkable display of lack of imagination. They could have gone with -anything- and they pick an escape pod. And if there is an all powerful entity then it really doesn't make sense that it couldn't track a pod in a world that is infused with the numenera.

Heck, from the Numenera Player's Guide:

"The term "nano" is derived from the nanotechnology that is omnipresent throughout the Ninth World (whether anyone realizes it or not). "

I suppose it could be fixed with a couple lines like: "The escape pod was designed to escape detection which is why it is called an escape pod. Duh." But, with all of the possibilities out there to set the stage of what the Ninth World is like they go the pod route.. le sigh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You guys are fucking dumb

Also, who says that it failed to track it? The devs have implied that you'll constantly be on the run in this game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You guys are all fucking dumb.

Also, who says that it failed to track him? The devs have implied that you'll be constantly on the run in this game.
No, let's take a one sentence explanation of the initial setup and assume we know everything there is to know. This is the most reasonable way to evaluate things.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
The audience was dead, or at least very concentrated, he did just fine in his presentation

This game is going to be fucking sweet

NEXT!

Roofles!

hiver

You guys are all fucking dumb.

Also, who says that it failed to track him? The devs have implied that you'll be constantly on the run in this game.
No, let's take a one sentence explanation of the initial setup and assume we know everything there is to know. This is the most reasonable way to evaluate things.
Logic is an alien concept to you i see.
And who is basing anything on one sentence alone?

also, infinitron, youre a retarded devolved mass market cretin.

IF the Changing God chose a fucking stupid escape pod to "escape" it means he thought the Sorrow wont be able to track a simple pod falling down. That means either the Sorrow is stupid and incompetent beyond belief, or the Changing God is an idiot.

But even more ridiculous notion is that it turns out he does not need no fucking escape pod at all since half way he just vanishes from the body entirely.

- I said that already. -

hiver

by the way, if you want some actual consoling... cough... ahem...

It could be that Sorrow having come into close proximity to CG nullified all the better tricks CG had up his sleeves, including transmuting himself into another body, so the CG had no option left but to scramble and escape in sheer panic, using the last low tech resource he had there, a fucking shameful dumb escape pod... until he reached some distance that allowed him to get out of the Sorrows "sphere of influence", if you will, upon which he immediately castoff the shell he was in and transmitted himself into another body, previously hidden somewhere else as one of many backups.

Although... if i was doing it, you wouldnt be no special snowflake falling from the skies like ah... a falling star (vomit) ...

You would start the game with your body being unceremoniously dumped into a mass grave, one of many created by that poor copy of the Blood War.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In an epic twist CG changed into an escape pod, ba dum tshhh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom