Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I only wish I could sing like that. My singing is more on "clear the room" levels.

Cool speakertower though! Always good to swag up our conference room a bit more.

Atchodas

Augur
better make sure this game does not get released in unplayable state like you did with WL2 instead of buying swag stuff .

Ninjerk

Arcane
Let me just say: Friggin MRY. Dude can write.
zionist_agent.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
One thing is certain, if Torment is awesome I will make a donation for hair implant on the bald squad, they will have more hair than Rothfuss beard.

#baldshaming

Darkzone

Arcane
TToN has the advantage of being turn-based - so it's easier to do properly. Real-time is harder to get right.
Yes but they failed to make a combat good already in Wasteland 2. Where one of the main parts of the game was combat. So it is very improbable that they can make a good combat in T:ToN. But the best thing is that we can certainly skip any combat, besides one or two encounters.

No #baldshaming is not possible, because it is a men's issue, and only whites and asians look bad with a bold head.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Realistic Roguey says wait for the enhanced edition before writing off Wasteland 2 combat.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
One thing is certain, if Torment is awesome I will make a donation for hair implant on the bald squad, they will have more hair than Rothfuss beard.

#baldshaming
My interview with Colin consisted of discussing whether a hair transplant from my back to my scalp would work. "If you want to look like you have pubes on your head," the good man answered.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer

#baldshaming
My interview with Colin consisted of discussing whether a hair transplant from my back to my scalp would work. "If you want to look like you have pubes on your head," the good man answered.

This is a true story.

Weasel

This is the sort of heart-rending dilemma I hope we see addressed in Torment.

Darkzone

Arcane
Realistic Roguey says wait for the enhanced edition before writing off Wasteland 2 combat.
Hope. Hope never changes.
I wish they would address this issue, with appropriate means, but i have no hope for this. Perks are nice, but do not solve this problem. The problem are coded in the Scripts: how the enemies view the battlefield and which tactics the enemies can execute.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I wish they would address this issue, with appropriate means, but i have no hope for this. Perks are nice, but do not solve this problem. The problem are coded in the Scripts: how the enemies view the battlefield and which tactics the enemies can execute.
Because Fallout 1 has good enemy AI LOL
Fallout 1 and 2 were fun because you could murder enemies in many fun ways, not because of any challenge.

Are retards still expecting WL2 combat to be like Xcom?

Darkzone

Arcane
Because Fallout 1 has good enemy AI LOL
Fallout 1 and 2 were fun because you could murder enemies in many fun ways, not because of any challenge.
Are retards still expecting WL2 combat to be like Xcom?
Since when Fallout 1 and 2 had good exciting combat? And if you think that the fun of Fallout came from the different death animation, than i would state that this is quite the retarded opinion.
Fallout 1 was not fun because of the combat and the different death animations (which by the way i could never see, because i live in germany). It was fun because you could play it in a different way with different solutions, and it had a nice compact story, but the combat was shit.
And none of the Xcom had a good combat, but it was fun in the first Xcom to fight in the Night where you had to use light sources because you had no other possibility to spot hidden units. Most of the enemies acted like the enemies in Wasteland 2. You had the melee, tanks and range attack troops, which appeared only after a certain game time, or development level. If anything that you should write: Are retards still expecting WL2 combat to be like JA2? Or so. But due to the fact that i never played JA2, i cannot state how good was the combat in the JA series.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.adamheine.com/2015/05/q-couple-of-tton-details-vs-pillars-of.html

Q: A couple of TTON details vs. Pillars of Eternity

Alessandro Gambino has two questions today:

a couple of questions that arose directly from my playthrough of Pillars of Eternity.

First question: As far I remember, in Torment we will have separate inventory screens for each character, won't we? And if so, any hope you guys are reconsidering this part of the GUI?​

I'm not sure where I might have mentioned separate inventory screens. If I did, it was either very early in design or else a mistake. Our inventory design is based on Pillars of Eternity's -- partially because we had just gotten their codebase at that time (so we could see how they were doing things) and partially because a single inventory screen for the entire party is just a good idea.

Additionally, as you mentioned in the full text of your question, Alessandro, TTON's weapon sets will be representative, so a single weapon can be used in multiple weapon sets. See this update for more info on that.

My second question: in a another KS update you wrote (quote): "For us, a “puzzle” isn’t an attempt to divine the will of the designer, but rather an obstacle with multiple solutions involving various Difficult Tasks and their applicable Effort and skills".​

Does this mean that Torment won't have any puzzle/problem with not-so-obvious solution? Which is to say: Will the puzzle-solving elements of the original game be dropped in favor of the effort management of the new one (please don't do that. If you are not 100% convinced, I can send you my boxed copies of all Quest for Glory games, as a reminder of how you can have puzzles that feel like real puzzles even if they can be solved in multiple ways according to your character skills :D)?
I can see how your concern might arise from my quote. Rest assured that PST is our primary example in terms of how conversations are designed. "Puzzles" in TTON will take many forms. Simple ones might require one of a couple of Difficult Tasks, but many more will require you to talk to people and pay attention to your surroundings (or at the very least, they will be made much easier by doing so).

What we won't do is, for example, require the player to decipher an elaborate and unique sequence of actions to collect an item they don't even know they need. We also don't want the player to get stuck because they missed some foozle or failed the wrong Task. We are trying to emulate a tabletop RPG session more than a graphic adventure, and that means doing the best we can to anticipate what things players will want to try, and implementing what might happen for each one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom