Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
As a 100$ russian poorfag backer here - :negative:

My two main problems with this pre-alpha trailer are: a) lightning and b) characters animations. (Also I dislike view distance, while original Planescape's models were larger then IE ones, in this TToN video characters look like it's not a Planescape successor, but Arcanum's - minimum details, very large distance from camera, smaller in scale than background details. Old Bloom proof-of-concept video had closer camera, and it looked way better).
So, for my a) point - lightning is very flat, which wasn't the case in earlier video. I even got confused and re-watched old Bloom proof of concept video

and no, it wasn't my imagination. Then I re-read Update 41, which states:
Nathan Fabian said:
We need to fit this shader’s lighting into the rest of the awesome lighting pipeline. While not complicated, it does require duplication of the lighting code into this new shader, so that the pylons can be properly positioned in the vertex portion before the lighting calculations take place.

With all this in place we get a dynamically moving floor, rendered at interactive rates, that looks like this:
Note where does "awesome lightning pipeline" leads. Yeaah. Now I understand why characters suddenly look very flat and are blending too much into environment. I get that it's probably a fast-and-dirty system. My 3D modeller friend said, when consulted, that it probably enables to make quick and hassle-free lightning effects on overpainted low-poly 3D models. Big drawback is that it doesn't look good, and characters often look flat. We all saw it in PoE, and now in the new video. I really don't like it.

For my b) point I'll be more brief - running animation is atrocious, it doesn't look remotely realistic, and characters kinda glide over surfaces. Really don't like that either. Walking animations are better, but still very meh.

Of course, even with bad lightning, models and animation TToN could still be a game with awesome music, plot and quests, and also TB combat, and it could be enough. But after the disappointments from W2, PoE and D:OS I really wanted it too be at least good in all aspects, not merely passable.

holy shit

Knut

Educated
That's a good point, Knut. The video definitely focuses on the weirder environments at our disposal, but rest assured there will be some "normal" environments as well. In the video, there is the final scene, and also the area outside the bubble of water, just as small examples.

thank you, that is great to know!

Because PST was full of serene and normal natural environments...

this argument again... i'm hoping for a game that will capture the essence of PST, not trail in it's wake copying every step mindlessly.

It is the Ninth world. Weird is pretty much normal.

I'm hoping there are very few "normal" locations as defined by today's interpretation.

The Ninth World is a crazy place and it is only limited by the imagination of those conceiving it. Hopefully the folk over at inXile on this project have lots and lots of imagination that is running rampant. This is the environment for that.

after reading numenera i think the setting was based on sci-fi rather than fantasy on purpose. i believe the point was to make plenty of space for bizarre, alien and weird, but to make it coexist with ordinary at the same time (medieval and modern elements), so it would also seem probable. there is no doubt there will be plenty of mind-bending things, i'm just pointing out some concepts have greater weight when contrasted with familiar.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Are you able to confirm / deny how faithful the adaptation of the Numenera rules will be in Torment? Basically, will I be able to Ride the Lightning, Wear a Sheen of Ice or Exist Partially out of Phase?
Brother None Anything you can tell us about this?
We will have the descriptor type who focus system, of course. For Foci, many of the available ones are adapted from Corebook systems, adjusted to work in a computer RPG, but we do not have every Focus in the corebook, and we have some Foci unique to TTON.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Are you able to confirm / deny how faithful the adaptation of the Numenera rules will be in Torment? Basically, will I be able to Ride the Lightning, Wear a Sheen of Ice or Exist Partially out of Phase?
Brother None Anything you can tell us about this?
We will have the descriptor type who focus system, of course. For Foci, many of the available ones are adapted from Corebook systems, adjusted to work in a computer RPG, but we do not have every Focus in the corebook, and we have some Foci unique to TTON.

That's reasonable. Some of the foci are obviously impossible to implement in a computer game. I look forward to seeing what foci you guys are able to come up with.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
Also can you grapple the ball of goo?

Fixed.

ksaun, Adam Heine, since y'all seem to be around a lot this weekend, how about that Systems Alpha? We know the game's probably not coming out this year, but if that and the beta aren't coming soon, it seems like it won't even be early next year. :M

Yeah, I know, I know... =) We'll see...

We could have had the first Alpha Systems Test out some time ago, actually, but we shifted priorities earlier in the year. As the team expanded, it felt important to focus, which helps in cross-training and more quickly acclimating everyone. Taking emphasis off of the Alpha Systems Tests for a while was one way to increase our focus. (Some aspects of the ASTs are directly in line with making the content, but some aspects crave different priorities. I had originally underestimated how much the ASTs would distract if we did them too early.)

That's probably vague enough to be useless. (But I think you were semi-trolling me anyway. =) )

Anyway: "soon," but not too soon.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Finished From the Depths: Indigo. Another winner. That off-the-cuff revelation and that ending. :lol:

A good yarn if you want to read about problems that could be avoided if people could just communicate properly with each other and a mad scientist who keeps making things worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/game/media/wallpapers

Ascension
1920x1080.jpg

Gar-koto
1920x1080.jpg

Ioxu's Shanty
1920x1080.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Planescape Torment is a really high standard to adhere to, either developers will create another masterpiece or at lease a very good game or it will bite them in the ass using the title and making "only" a decent (or worse) game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The Ascension screenshot has a weird mix of high and low resolution assets making up the map. The crystal in the center and the ground around it looks really blurry.

/graphixwhore OFF

edit: actually, I think it's just the crystal protrusions. All of them look Beamdog-new-area-in-an-IE-game low resolution.

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ioxu's Shanty reminded me of Sanitarium's bug area.

Or the beholder tunnels from BG2, needs more orifices though.

The screenshots do look good, but they wouldn't release some mundane area as a wallpaper after all.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I ask for the change of the thread name to:

Planetscape: NumaNuma - inXile Red Boots Simulator Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey hey, a new interview: http://www.pcinvasion.com/torment-tides-of-numenera-interview-with-colin-mccomb-and-keven-saunders

PC Invasion: What are the similarities and differences between the settings Planescape and Numenera?

Colin McComb: They’re both incredibly imaginative and extraordinarily cool. Neither of them are about killing the monster and taking its treasure; they’re both about trying to understand your place in the world as you comprehend it at that point.

The main difference is that Planescape is built more around belief, and wisdom, and the exploration for answers regarding the soul; whereas Numenera is more around exploring the world around us as it is. They both have room for philosophical exploration but one of them is more about doing and the other one is more about contemplating.

PCI: How does the design approach to the title compare toPlanescape: Torment?

CM: The experience we’re going for with our Torment is less of the everything-is-rusty-and-falling-apart kind of thing; and we’re going more for a “check this out, isn’t this super cool bright and colourful?” kind of thing. We don’t want to solely do the dark, grim, crushing experience that a lot of Planescape was, but at the same time we also want to convey the sense of incredible age.

While our colours are going to be bright and evocative for many of our areas, we’re also targeting to develop the same sort of continuity of experience that Planescapehad; in that we want to have incredibly weird and varied stuff that people will go “holy crap! I never would’ve imagined that.”

Kevin Saunders: The content is fairly dark a lot of the time, in general. But when you have the combination of the strangeness of the world, the technology, and people living at roughly a medieval level of their own native technology, there’s a lot of grim things that can occur and we explore them.

In terms of the gameplay, we’ve probably gone for even more of a literary approach than Planescape was.

CM: We want our players to be active participants in this game, and thinking about it, and figuring out what it is that they’re pulling away from the game, and building in little verbal puzzles as well.

Not puzzles in the sense of “you need to solve this” but in the sense of “there’s a greater mystery behind this” that someone who’s playing casually might miss, but someone who’s playing carefully will say, “hey wow! I figured that out.”

PCI: Will the weirdness of the world extend to the items you can find, much as it did in Planescape?

KS: Actually, ‘Numenera’ is a word in the game world which refers to all the technology from the past civilizations, and by civilizations we don’t mean like the Egyptians, we mean a billion years or so of history. All of mankind as we know today would be less accomplished than just one of the eight worlds preceding the ninth world, which is where we are in Numenera. So, the game is named after all these items which can range from nano-bots to large devices.

One type of items are ciphers which are one-use items; like scrolls from D&D. But the catch with them is that they don’t behave well if you have a lot of them, which prevents hoarding.

Another type of item are oddities. They, by design, don’t really do anything; they’re just sort of interesting. You might find an oddity where you use it and you have a vision which shows you using it and you see little creatures tinkering and playing around you. You can hear and touch them but no one else can see them. It doesn’t do anything and doesn’t kill any monsters etc. but it’s just interesting.

Some of them will just be interesting and others may have some information you can gleam.

In terms of weapons, there’s a lot of variety there to. There’s one ranged weapon which, instead of shooting a projectile, what it does is compresses some of your blood or internal organs into a projective and then sucks it out of the victim. So, it’s sort of a backwards gun, visually.

We want the items to capture the setting as Colin was talking about earlier.

PCI: How have you tried to design the world, NPCs and so on, in the way you envision?

CM: We wanted to make a measurable philosophical metre, that’s what we’re using the tides for. They’re essentially a physical and psychic force which allows us to track what the player says and does, and follow that throughout the game so that people will be able to react to the player’s tide and choices.

KS: They are essentially a measure of one’s legacy. The five different tides cover different aspects that Adam, Colin and I identified before the Kickstarter – what sort of things people are known for. It’s our way of trying to quantify that in ways to have an effect on the gameplay but also to help direct the player’s journey through it.

PCI: They’re kind of in place an alignment system?

KS: Right, but there’s no good or evil in there.

CM: We don’t want to make a value judgement as to what is good or bad, that’s something the player’s going to have to decide on their own.

KS: Another important thing about it is that, with the tides, we don’t care about the player’s intent, only the actions. It’s like if someone were an independent observer, which is like what the tides are, and they were to witness an event and outcome, how they would view the person who did it and what they would attribute to that person’s legacy.

PCI: Will this be used to provide some closure at the end of the game on things the player has done throughout. Much like the text epilogue in Fallout 2?

KS: Yes, we’re planning something like that; but it won’t just be about the tides.

We don’t write with the tides in mind, we write situations and afterwards assess them from the perspective of the tides. That helps it so that the situations themselves aren’t contrived.

In terms of an epilogue, it’ll be focused on all your choices throughout the game.

PCI: The combat was decided to be turn-based, with a Kickstarter backer vote on the subject split down the middle. How’s the combat working out?

KS: It was a very close vote, statistically it was probably a tie; but it was never intended to be a democracy it was about what’s best for the game.

I’m very happy that we made the decision we did. It’s allowed us to bring more of the narrative into what we do and make that part of the combat.

CM: A lot of the encounters are handcrafted set pieces; they’re planned out.

There will also be what we call tussles which are smaller fights you fall in to. For example, by pissing people off.

KS: Those are almost like a failure state. Well… not exactly, but you don’t wander through an area that’s a dungeon crawl and there’s a whole bunch of these encounters. They’re more that there’s a situation where it doesn’t make sense to prevent you getting into a fight. As in, it would feel off from a narrative perspective if there is no aggressive possibility.

CM: Not everything you do in these combats is sticking a sword in someone. We’re planning on having things like fixing an item, building a machine or protecting yourself from alien bombardment; things like that. It’s not necessarily going in, going toe to toe with someone and swinging until the loot drops.

The experience you get from it isn’t for killing someone it’s for overcoming the challenge.

PCI: Have you taken the same kind of approach with NPCs as inPlanescape: Torment, as in having deep characters which play an intricate part of the story and so on?

CM: Absolutely. We want to make sure our characters are loveable, but also hateable. We want to build strong commitment directions between you and your party members in a way which makes them memorable when you finish the game.

Some of them kind of hate each other, will interact with each other, and er… I don’t want to spoil anything.

They have a full contribution to dialogs, the party, and interactions with other NPCs as well.

PCI: Are you thinking about early access for this title, as inXile did with Wasteland 2?

KS: Yeah, it’s something we’re strongly considering for Torment as well. We’ve got something called alpha systems tests; that’s like a segment of gameplay, which might only be 5 minutes, that’s on a specific game system and then we’ll ask for feedback on that. Some of our backers will have access to that. Our focus right now is getting those things into backers’ hands and that’ll give us a lot of insight into what to focus on next.

One of the advantages to the crowd funding approach as opposed to the developer/publisher model is that we have a lot of flexibility to change the plan as we go forward. There’s no date when we have to deliver some milestone.

We keep the backers informed as to what’s going on and we do what’s best for the game. We look at the final outcome.

PCI: How have you found the community?

KS: The vast majority of backers just want the best game. It’s not about immediate gratification, it’s about investing in a future experience. We don’t want to disappoint anyone, we want to exceed their expectations.

I see it as a priority to be honestly communicating; if we’re not making the game they want then better that we don’t have their support.

CM: When we put out Kickstarter updates they’re dense with information and it’s the information we want to put out. We don’t want to overpromise, because that leads to disappointment.

PCI: Anything final to add?

CM: I just want to tell everyone who’s reading that we’ve been working hard on this and that all the people who’ve played it, so far, in house have found it universally cool and awesome and we hope that you all will as well.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is currently expected around Q4 2015 or early 2016.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom