Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=124

Since you’re using the Pillars of Eternity engine, are we going to see similar interactive cutscenes, as if taken straight from gamebooks, in Torment?

Actually, we are doing that. It’s funny because we’ve came up with this idea independently of Obsidian. We didn’t know they were doing that – or at least I’m pretty sure I didn’t. And actually we are taking it a little bit further than they did in terms of more choices for players. I like this kind of break. There are something like three distinct aspects of Torment. There is just wandering around and talking to people. Then there is combat which is a little more scripted in nature... it isn’t like a lot of trash mobs coming from everywhere. And the third aspect is what you’re talking about – break away and „choose your own adventure moments” which affects a greater narrative. I like these breaks because you are never doing the same thing too much.

Is there a way to complete the game without killing anyone?

Hmm... I don’t know if you can get through the whole game without killing somebody. I’m not sure.

There is a particular concern about Torment. We haven’t heard much about the game in the past few weeks so I’d like to ask you straight: should we prepare ourselves for another delay of the release of this title?

It’s possible. But it’s more complex. What we have to do right now is to get it in people’s hands as soon as possible so they can play it, experience it and give us feedback. Until that happens it’s hard to know exactly what date it’s going to be released. I don’t think we’re going to get much „changes feedback”, as it was with Wasteland 2. Our focus there were systems, UI etc. and here it is more about conversations. It’s only about so many ways of making choices. So all hands are on deck to make sure we get that on people’s hands and when that happens it will be easier to make comment on the release date. You also have to remember that this game is huge. It has more than 800 thousand words, it’s more than the Bible. And you have to localize it which is a whole other thing. We’re going to make a big jump and get the playable game into players’ hands really soon. That will help set up when exactly it will be made.

Athelas

Arcane
Maybe they meant it in the same sense that you can avoid all combat in Fallout.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah Fargo's just not well-versed because it's not really his project

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
They did a great job with it. It’s not what the hardcore audience wanted which I totally get but I give them credit. They’ve made a meaningful perk and trait system, they did a great job with the visual style, use of Pip-Boy and music. They’ve captured what Fallout universe should feel like. But it was certainly different than my approach to it.

That's what Fargo actually said.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I like how he totally omitted writing and gunplay. Imagine a well known musician commenting on a cover of his song without saying if it sounds good or not.

throwaway

Cipher

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Since the devs check this thread I feel that I should make a suggestion regarding communication, so far, inXile have been the worst out of Double Fine and Star Citizen which were the first big profile launches. Double Fine were giving us updates every month with charts on area progress and what was being blocked out and not. We had updates with programmers and artists giving us behind the scenes looks at what they were currently doing, Star Citizen gives an entire monthly report focusing on every aspect.

Yes, these things take time, however, this would also help to make people feel more secure in backing BT4, I've seen many comments with people questioning why you decided to start that kickstarter when we've barely seen anything of Torment.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Double Fine might not be the best example to parade around when it comes to Kickstarter. There've been 43 updates so far (promo stuff included, granted), let the people work I say.

Athelas

Arcane

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Late summer means September as far as I'm concerned.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You have your characters, and they all get to go before the enemies, but in whatever order you wish.
Makes sense and when TB combat makes sense I can't hate it quite so much.

Will TToN use a similar system by any chance?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You have your characters, and they all get to go before the enemies, but in whatever order you wish.
Makes sense and when TB combat makes sense I can't hate it quite so much.
Will TToN use a similar system by any chance?

There is no reason to believe that Torment's Crisis System will be anything like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom