Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Who is this, and what have you done with FeelTheRads?

Meh, what can I say. Might be the sleeper storyfag within me, but despite some big annoyances I still find it enjoyable.

And it's definitely an improvement over Turdland 2 which really didn't have much going for it.

Last edited:

jaydee2k

Savant
Still no GOG pre-orders. They ain't coming for non backers he?
I guess this will save myself from the abysmal seduction of wasting
my lifetime with another of Fargos pipe dreams...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How would you compare W2 gameplay and TTON ?

In W2 it's crap in this one it's nonexistent. :troll:

No, seriously, it's an adventure game or visual novel or whatever, but I find this aspect decently done. I at least am curious to talk to the NPCs and find out bits of information and see what happens next. The labyrinth is also a nice idea about which I'm curious how it will turn out. Quests are good and thankfully so far I was not asked to collect turds and cat litter as opposed to their other hurr hurr so funny gaem.

And the crises... well, that's another idea that's good in theory but kinda fails in practice. First, they should be an opportunity to use ciphers, but that didn't really seem necessary. Too easy? And of course, their main attraction, that of being able to interact with stuff in the area to help you, is completely destroyed by the recent great addition of on-screen walkthroughs. Because there isn't much to just whacking some shitty enemies each turn. So, unless they make them more challenging and remove the walkthroughs, avoid crises at all costs.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Don't necessarily avoid Crises, they are easy. Just roleplay them. I mean, if you want to kill character X, just go ahead and fight/kill it. Just understand the combat is more of a nuisance in the way of the story. Thankfully, it's very rare and short.

It's an adventure game with skill points, kinda like Quest for Glory in SPAAAAACE in the far future.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Iren is right, this has more in common with a cyoa game like sorcery than a "proper" rpg.

PST was much the same, difference beeing that it was much better written.

I remain ambiguous about this project, I guess my enjoyment will depend on the lenght of the adventure, and the depth of the c&c.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The world of Torment: Tides of Numenera is rife with conflict. Although you can avoid or resolve dangerous situations in bloodless ways, using deception, persuasion or stealth, sometimes your decisions or even just a bad roll of the dice may mean that blood will need to be spilt. See how you can emerge from such conflicts victorious!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16931#p178939

Hey guys, forgive the necro here, but I just wanted to mention that we'll be adding a game option to turn off the crisis objectives element on screen if you don't want it. Thanks for your feedback!

As a clarification, none of the crisis encounters were ever designed with the objectives element in mind, so by turning them off you aren't necessarily going to lose out on any content.

Prime Junta FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Jeez, thanks, what a big favor they're doing. :roll:

"If you don't want it." Fuck off, there's no reason to want them in the first place, all they do is ruin the main attraction of the crises.
Funny the disclaimer at the end too, the corporate speak is strong in this one.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1. none of the crisis encounters were ever designed with the objectives element in mind
2. we'll be adding a game option to turn off the crisis objectives element on screen if you don't want it

So you design crises without objectives in mind, somehow add objectives without making an option to disable them and plan to make the button to turn them off. I do not get the logic.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Dude, he's just babbling some standard corporate drivel. Basically, it can be translated to "no matter what you do you get the same result therefore it's not our fault". It's not supposed to actually be logical.

Even using the term objectives to describe walkthroughs is a beautiful piece of corporate bullshit.

We already knew they weren't designed with walktroughs in mind as these suddenly appeared after the Techland deal. My bet is this is Techland's doing because how can players figure out to do stuff if you don't tell them exactly what to do?
Btw, I'm not sure if the various quest directions that sometimes appear in dialogues but more often in the journal were like that before or they're also new? Stuff like "hurr hurr i found a thingamabob i should go ask those people i met in that area cuz they know about thingamabobs durr"

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Btw, I'm not sure if the various quest directions that sometimes appear in dialogues but more often in the journal were like that before or they're also new? Stuff like "hurr hurr i found a thingamabob i should go ask those people i met in that area cuz they know about thingamabobs durr"

Things were signposted from the start. One of my biggest criticisms of the first beta build was just that. The initial quests dovetail too neatly, aligning perfectly with your objectives, and each step is explicitly described in the journal.

It does get a bit less handholdy after you find Matkina and there are some things that take some actual digging. I still have hope for the Bloom; it was pretty cool in the setting book, and also it's Ziets' design.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
1. none of the crisis encounters were ever designed with the objectives element in mind
2. we'll be adding a game option to turn off the crisis objectives element on screen if you don't want it

So you design crises without objectives in mind, somehow add objectives without making an option to disable them and plan to make the button to turn them off. I do not get the logic.

It’s the logic of trying to please two incompatible audiences at the same time. They inserted this handhold retardness to please their main audience, consoletards, and now promised to implement the option to turn that of to please grognards. When they say that “none of the crisis encounters were ever designed with the objectives element in mind” what you should read is “the publisher force us to implement these idiotic screens to please consoletards", which is not true by the way.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It’s the logic of trying to please two incompatible audiences at the same time. They inserted this handhold retardness to please their main audience, consoletards, and now promised to implement the option to turn that of to please grognards. When they say that “none of the crisis encounters were ever designed with the objectives element in mind” what you should read is “the publisher force us to implement these idiotic screens to please consoletards", which is not true by the way.

This is the truth, or at least, the situation that makes sense.

Otherwise, yeah, it's plain retarded to design the game without objectives in mind, only to force them on the player anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom