Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

A lot of problems for the fans with this game:
- first they delay the game 1 year due to localization;
- then they announce console version;
- then publisher;
- then the problem with the CE;
- now the italian version is no more.
Delayed for 26 months, actually.
Also:
- Project Lead fired;
- cut companions;
- cut factions;
- more cut content Fargo didn't want to mention.

At this rate, there's probably a lot of stretch goal content they won't deliver. I'm curious to see all the areas added as stretch goals, specially the "second major city".

It's all for the better, bro. Ask, Inshillitron. "It's just like PST". PST had troubled development so it's only natural that this one is the same.

Going by all this stuff, Fargo's totally honest sounding "this publisher deal is totally different, right? not like the others, right?" looks like more bullshit that ever.
More than likely he had to do a pretty shitty deal with Techland to get them to give him money.
They got a publisher to pay for localization and they still cut one of the languages. Fargo acts like he had a lot of leverage, but the KS budget is long gone by now and not having translations would significantly hurt sales. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a bad deal, but then again the publisher is pretty bad, so who knows.

I'm curious to see all the areas added as stretch goals, specially the "second major city".

The underwater one, right?

We saw the PC swimming around in an underwater area that looks like it, so we know it's going to be in, but it'll be interesting to see if the same lack of content has befallen it as PoE's "second major city".
Yes, it's supposed to be this one:

1920x1080.jpg

TTON_SunkenMarket.jpg

However, the last time they mentioned the second city was in January 2015, and the "World of Numenera" trailer, which shows several of the game's locations, doesn't mention the Oasis at all:

They did show the Sunken Market with that exact art on 2 January 2017 on Facebook.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Apparently they started to work on the Sunken Market quite a while ago. This is from February 2015:

It would've been a waste to cut that scene, so it makes sense that it's still in. Still, it may have been adapted to fit another location, or maybe it's what's left of the Oasis area.

The city itself has no concept art, render or video footage since the first piece. I don't think it's because of spoilers or whatever, because the other stretch goal areas are shown in the World of Numenera video: the Forge of the Night Sky and the Ascension of Kex-Lianish.

Fairfax

Arcane
I looked into the beta's files, and there are some lines which mention the Oasis, but mostly exposition. I did find something interesting, though: there are at least 2 meres in the Oasis.
If anybody wants to take a look:

steamapps\common\Torment Tides of Numenera\WIN\TidesOfNumenera_Data\StreamingAssets\data\localized\en\text\conversations\si_meres\mere_gs2_oasismere.stringtable
steamapps\common\Torment Tides of Numenera\WIN\TidesOfNumenera_Data\StreamingAssets\data\localized\en\text\conversations\si_meres\mere_is2_oasismere.stringtable

I feel like this is as far as your visit to the Oasis goes. :M

karfhud

Augur
Apparently they started to work on the Sunken Market quite a while ago. This is from February 2015:

It would've been a waste to cut that scene, so it makes sense that it's still in. Still, it may have been adapted to fit another location, or maybe it's what's left of the Oasis area.

The city itself has no concept art, render or video footage since the first piece. I don't think it's because of spoilers or whatever, because the other stretch goal areas are shown in the World of Numenera video: the Forge of the Night Sky and the Ascension of Kex-Lianish.

I haven't seen these assets in any other screenshots, and even though this screenshot could've been overpainted, I doubt they'd model unique meshes and then scrap them; I guess that with the crowdfunded games you have to be absolutely sure you need a certain environment back in the pre-production stage. I hope it's still in.

How fucked up will be if after all these years, they will release an unfinished game with mandatory DLC? I have to say, Obsidian did a lot better with their kickstarter campaign then Inxile.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How fucked up will be if after all these years, they will release an unfinished game with mandatory DLC? I have to say, Obsidian did a lot better with their kickstarter campaign then Inxile.

I asked them about the city hub on twitter, no response. They didnt respond to questions about the toy companion as well... these fuckers talk a big game about connecting to their community and making a game for the fans, instead they act like the worse corporate scumbags out of activision or EA.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Finally decided to spend some time on this. Let's just say an earlier try did not come off that well. The game ran like shit and looked like crap to booth. That was somewhere last year though, so let's see how this looks near release. And hey, it is fun. It is Torment alright. Instead of an immortal interacting with various incarnations of himself you now play as a dropped part of an immortal being. Like the small twist. The setting is interesting, the writing decent and the game now actually seems to run fluid. There are some mechanics I haven't seen used in a crpg, the crisis parts are actually quite interesting, dig the little CYOA type interactions and there seems to be heaps of ways of getting through the available content. So yeah, optimistic.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, I bet that making character building bland and trying to "fix" traditional cRPGs has nothing to do with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Yuge spoilers in these 'chieves, click at your own risk.

Noticed nothing about an oasis or a toy even though you get achievements for entering other locations and other companion arcs. :M

Edit:
The original plan for Torment: Tides of Numenera was to have four companions, but the success of the Kickstarter campaign permitted five others, for a total of nine.

Lies, there are only six. :lol:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Maybe there are secret achievements related to secret locations and secret NPCs?

Some achievements aren't displayed until you get them, you know that, right?

Deleted Member 16721

I really hope that this will bring new players to old school RPGs and that Torment 3 would be even better.
TTON is one of the most ambitious project I've seen.

Most of all, I hope this title will ignite that old spark which I had for Planescape Torment and Shadows of Amn long long ago.

I got that spark from Pillars of Eternity, but I know what you mean. For me, I'm just happy we get some form of old-school RPGs being made today. I'm thankful for the bigger ones like the Larian, Obsidian, InXile, RPGs, as well as those little indie RPGs and what not.

As for bringing in new players, I hope it does as well, but I also hope that the games going forward maintain the RPG aspect and elements of those older RPGs. If the new games are executed so well that new players want to learn and adapt to them, that is a great thing. If the game being made tries too hard to adapt to too many new "play patterns" :P and doesn't take enough care of the old-school RPG fans, that is obviously not ideal. But I think overall it's all good. If you don't care for Pillars, Wasteland, Torment, etc., there are always indies like Spiderweb games, or Xulima, Serpents in the Staglands, Elminage Gothic, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom