Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The studio is new the people aren't

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
With Torment it's going to be the Numenera ruleset,

Well, at least they didn't go for "let's make a new one for scratch" like Obsidian did with POE.
PoE systems >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> numenderpa

InXile prob. had to give their own spin on so much stuff for it to work it might as well be an original system at this point anyway.

Fairfax

Arcane
In retrospect, going with Numenera was not a bad decision, regardless of how bad the setting or the game may be. With all the cut content and delays, imagine the development hell if they had to come up with a setting, aesthetic and ruleset by themselves. PoE's not-Forgotten Realms is easy to make, but even a shameless Planescape ripoff would take a lot more work.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In retrospect, going with Numenera was not a bad decision, regardless of how bad the setting or the game may be. With all the cut content and delays, imagine the development hell if they had to come up with a setting, aesthetic and ruleset by themselves. PoE's not-Forgotten Realms is easy to make, but even a shameless Planescape ripoff would take a lot more work.

Weren't they boasting about their long preproduction period :M

DeepOcean

Arcane
Going for Numenera was more of a publicity stunt for me, both Fargo and Monte Cook got more hype and it work well for both, in terms of setting and mechanics, Numanuma is so whatever as a setting that for all intents they came up with a new setting extremely loosely based on Numanuma.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Which is sad because this gane have full of talented people working on it hindered by bad management.

I wish it was fearqus instead of fargo
Feargus is behind Kotor 2, NWN 2, Alpha Protocol and all had serious production problems not mentioning the endless cancelled games that Obsidian had, he isn't exactly perfect either. Fargo is getting alot more flak because he is doing this with backers money what makes development drama much more transparent.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So are there any actual reviews for this game out and is it shit?
From what people said about the EA version, it is an okay RPG, won't blow your mind, full on C&C, weak on combat and the main plot is already spoilered by the trailer if you were in any risk of having fun figuring out a mystery. However it was the EA version lacking alot of content and locations, 100% chance won't be as good as the real Torment in terms of story and characters. Now the question is if the game will manage to build a good enough impression of its own on your mind or it would be a game that you would be okay to buy at 75% off, play then forget.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Feargus is behind Kotor 2, NWN 2, Alpha Protocol and all had serious production problems not mentioning the endless cancelled games that Obsidian had, he isn't exactly perfect either. Fargo is getting alot more flak because he is doing this with backers money what makes development drama much more transparent.
He wouldn't get as much flak if he didn't keep asking for more money in the form of multiple unreleased kickstarters.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yep, the fact that InExile is zero transparent about where the money of the Wasteland 2 sales gone, doesn't help too.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Yep, the fact that InExile is zero transparent about where the money of the Wasteland 2 sales gone, doesn't help too.

The sales funded Wasteland 2 Director's Cut and Torment.

Also, I'm confused, does my Beta key update straight to the retail version? Am I free to give away or sell the other key given to me in the backer site?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
The game is out now in Australia on Consoles--by that I mean you can purchase, download and play the game right now--so I think that this thread can now exist.

DemonKing

Arcane
Strange because the boxed versions just got delayed here until 15 March.

I'm at work so can't check Steam - is to working there yet for Aussies?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
He wouldn't get as much flak if he didn't keep asking for more money in the form of multiple unreleased kickstarters.
Well, this one is about to be released which makes me feel genuinely sad. Four years ago when I first heard about the game I was exhilarated and just couldn't believe my ears. It did sound too good to be true, yes, but everyone wants to believe in something at least once in a while. The way inXile destroyed all my hopes one little bit at a time was so methodically cruel I can only shake my head now.

Some irrational part of me still wants to like this game, so I keep looking but everything I see is dead wrong. How could something once so promising end up being so pathetic? It's a bad dream I can't wake up from.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I just redeemed a code for the game on GOG and is the backer edition seriously just the basic version of the game?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Was just looking at the companion portraits... are they all human? Seriously?
Yes they scrapped MCA's companion
MCA's companion is Erritis. (Who is not scrapped.)
Then who was in charge of the shapeshifter?
Beats me. But I know to a certainty that Erritis was Avellone's companion, though Gavin did a lot of lifting with the character, too.

Incidentally -- and now I'm speaking solely as a backer -- I had always thought the Toy sounded more on the order of a familiar than a companion, though perhaps someone had some notion for how to get more out of it.

Fry

Arcane
So I just redeemed a code for the game on GOG and is the backer edition seriously just the basic version of the game?

They probably mapped backer levels to editions. If you backed at a low level, you get the basic version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom