Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fry

Arcane
Oh, Putin's certainly an evil shitlord ruling a country of drunken criminals... but that doesn't necessarily mean he had a statistically significant impact on the US election. :D

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Infinitron & Fry I'm referring to Cmcc's and Gavin's tireless evil Putin messed with US democracy tirades on twitter. Of all the shit Trump has stirred this one perplexingly seems like the one they fixate on.
The twist is that McC really stands for McCarthy! Witcher/Torment crossover confirmed!

:smug:

In seriousness, of all the concerns to have about TTON, this should be very low on your list. Colin is about as far from an ax-grinder in his writing as anyone whose work I've read, and he has a broad and thoughtful take on the world that might not come through in selected 140-character tweets but does come through clearly in his long-form writing. I realize that for better and worse we've reached a point where consumers of nerdly culture are acutely sensitive to the politics and background of the creators of said culture, and every work has become a potential incursion point for the other side to bombard lest the enemy advance. It is indisputably true that the creators of Torment are overwhelmingly left-leaning, but I think you cheat yourself if you view games (or books) primarily as territory to be held and the influence of other peoples' ideas primarily as an invasion. And what I know of the game's story doesn't make me think that it is particularly partisan or lopsided in its themes. And certainly a sensitivity the particular concern of Russophobia is not one that seems likely to be triggered by the game.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
the main character still looks at the start of the game as a frat dude wearing a T-shirt and pants?
That's some edgy shit for the fashion world 1 000 000 000 years in the future right there (along... barrels which I saw in a screenshot. I hope at least they explode)!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
McComb went down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole eh? Feel sorry for his wife.

Good thing the writing in Tides of Numenera will reflect the man he was, and not the man he is now, much like Planescape Torment is a capsule of Chris Avellone circa 1998/1999.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who even cares? They changed the health and experience system. This isnt a numenera game. It's decline consolekiddy shit. Fuck you Brother None

Late, but changing Numenara's combat is the best thing they could have done for this game.

Numenera "works" on a table top because you don't powergame on tabletop and it's a great way to handle DM rolls n such. It's a mediocre at best way to handle video game combat and that has been consistent through all the iterations of the Torment vertical slice. This game will infuriate anyone hoping for quality turn based combat, and arguably for the quality of writing that has gone into this game it will be held back by the UI and gameplay.

Infinitron & Fry I'm referring to Cmcc's and Gavin's tireless evil Putin messed with US democracy tirades on twitter. Of all the shit Trump has stirred this one perplexingly seems like the one they fixate on.
The twist is that McC really stands for McCarthy! Witcher/Torment crossover confirmed!

In seriousness, of all the concerns to have about TTON, this should be very low on your list. Colin is about as far from an ax-grinder in his writing as anyone whose work I've read, and he has a broad and thoughtful take on the world that might not come through in selected 140-character tweets but does come through clearly in his long-form writing. I realize that for better and worse we've reached a point where consumers of nerdly culture are acutely sensitive to the politics and background of the creators of said culture, and every work has become a potential incursion point for the other side to bombard lest the enemy advance. It is indisputably true that the creators of Torment are overwhelmingly left-leaning, but I think you cheat yourself if you view games (or books) primarily as territory to be held and the influence of other peoples' ideas primarily as an invasion. And what I know of the game's story doesn't make me think that it is particularly partisan or lopsided in its themes. And certainly a sensitivity the particular concern of Russophobia is not one that seems likely to be triggered by the game.
But WHY THEN DID HE CHANGE THE HEALTH SYSTEM, HUH?!!111111

UPD: Sorry, forgot to change the alt.

throwaway

Cipher

I feel I was misread, mostly obviosly due to my inability to properly express myself. I'm not afraid of TTON exhibiting or conveying Rossophibic ideas, that'd actually be an impressive feat in a post-apoc setting (cartoon Russian accents aside).

I mainly meant to whine about 2 different things.
1 How I've forgotten most things about this game which I could have played and finished months ago were it not for the console BS (last time I was engaged was when the Beta was released and I was reading spoiler-free impressions over here).
2 How the writing team, who I mainly followed to keep in touch with this game I backed, and who (mainly thinking of Cmcc here) appear to be intelligent and compassionate individuals (limited unfortunately by the context of being from the graveyard of social thought that is the US), chose to propagate an inanity (which is in either case a side-show to electing Donald fucking Trump) that's severely beneath them and clutter my feed with stuff that would fit right in the Economist's and Time's agenda.

Both complains which would hardly clutter this dead as fuck thead.

McComb went down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole eh? Feel sorry for his wife.

Good thing the writing in Tides of Numenera will reflect the man he was, and not the man he is now, much like Planescape Torment is a capsule of Chris Avellone circa 1998/1999.
First comment seems like its referring to some result of the resourceful stalking that you're capable of..

Not sure about the latter. Do we have any indication whatsoever that cmcc is a different man to 2012, or whether that's relevant to the game's themes and writting?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I mainly meant to whine about 2 different things.
1 How I've forgotten most things about this game which I could have played and finished months ago were it not for the console BS (last time I was engaged was when the Beta was released and I was reading spoiler-free impressions over here).
I don't believe this to be true. There were incomplete components of the game that had to be completed, and the people completing them were not involved in the console work. As best I can tell, they were largely independent, though of course I can't go into specifics since I don't know specifics and if I did, I couldn't share them.

2 How the writing team, who I mainly followed to keep in touch with this game I backed, and who (mainly thinking of Cmcc here) appear to be intelligent and compassionate individuals (limited unfortunately by the context of being from the graveyard of social thought that is the US), chose to propagate an inanity (which is in either case a side-show to electing Donald fucking Trump) that's severely beneath them and clutter my feed with stuff that would fit right in the Economist's and Time's agenda.
You're following his personal Twitter feed. 98% of what people post on their Twitter feed is at best inane and some is colorably insane. I don't like to discuss politics online, so I can't really engage with the substance of your problem, but it seems like the easy solution is to just unfollow.

I agree with you that it's disappointing how the sharing of Torment information comes in fits and spurts, and it's pretty grim how dead every Torment-related community is. But all of this is a side-show to the game itself. If the game is good, what does it matter what Colin's politics are? If the game is terrible, would it change things if he wore a red hat? I mean, I totally get the desire to shake the box and try to figure out what's inside, but personal political Tweets don't tell you much about the game. (Ultimately, it's not your fault that you're reduced to reading tea leaves; like I said, the outreach could've been better.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1763675

Release Date!

Hello Exiles,

Today's update is a little on the short side, but I think you'll forgive us this time…

We are extremely excited to announce that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be releasing February 28th, 2017! It has been a long journey, and without your help on Kickstarter it would never have happened. We could not be happier to be delivering a successor to the Torment name and legacy, and we look forward to you enjoying it early next year.

When the game releases, those of you who already have your Steam keys redeemed for the beta version of the game will auto-update to the final build, and those of you who are planning to enjoy the game DRM-free from GOG will be able to as soon as that version is ready. We will also make a key exchange option available around that time for those of you who want to deactivate your Steam key and switch to GOG. At that point, most of the remaining digital rewards will also be made available to you.

For those of you with physical goods, we'll be prompting you to confirm your final shipping information in the near future. We do not have an exact shipping timeline for those goods just yet, but Techland is hard at work getting them ready for you as soon as possible. Please be sure to keep us advised of any changes by updating your shipping details on the Torment backer web site!

Rest assured that while we have our release date, that doesn't mean our work is quite done yet. We'll be using our remaining time to polish the game for you up to the last possible moment. And of course, once we get closer to release we'll have more news to share with you as well.

Chris Keenan,
VP of Development

7drHiqr.gif

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Glad it's finally coming out, I guess... even if it still is 2.5 months away.

(Something tells me they expected this backer update to spark a lot more excitement than it will.)

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly, not sure if I will even play it on release. Not at all interested even though I've sunk $100 into this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It'll be an interesting journey of discovery when we go from this

a0hFykC.png

to whatever the poll will show when I start a new List of Incline thread in a couple of weeks.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It'll be an interesting journey of discovery when we go from this

a0hFykC.png

to whatever the poll will show when I start a new List of Incline thread in a couple of weeks.
Fallen Gods better pick up some of those TTON votes. We're like the Kasich of incline!

Prime Junta

I went flaccid on this when they triumphantly announced that pop-up telling you how to resolve each Crisis. Felt like a betrayal. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom