Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
By the way, has this been posted?

14963240_1476034165745436_8618595449356129348_n.jpg

What's with this binary stuff. It's 2016 2017

That's why they used the same picture twice, duh. 2meta4u

roll-a-die

Magister
That's a very broad definition of politics per se. If you see every action of humans to affect others as politics then oh yeah, everything is politics. I had a friend who used to think that Beatles songs are Political.
But they were deeply political, Revolution, Imagine, Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby, fuck, most of their hits had deeply liberal political messages.

Imagine is not a Beatles song, but a John Lennon song. Additionally, you should substantiate your claims (1 - that the message in those songs was political, and 2 - if (1) holds, that it is "deeply liberal".) on Yesterday and Eleanor Rigby.
Eleanor Rigby is typically read as a poetic yarn to lonely people, and things going unheard and undone. A lot of the liberal movement in the 60s and 70s was about that exact issue, not getting held back, and doing whatever felt right. Even if it was unheard.

The same is true for yesterday. Yesterday is both a song about not being held back, and a song about the realization of loss from what happened in days past. It's also in a lot of ways a song about dealing with grief by accepting your feelings. A facet of liberal psychology at the time that was just starting to gain traction, as opposed to, y'know orgasm prescriptions for hysteria and electrolysis and labotomy for emotional imbalances.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But they were deeply political, Revolution, Imagine, Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby, fuck, most of their hits had deeply liberal political messages.

They had a lot of anti-women songs as well. John Lennon used to beat up women with his fists too, he expressed regret for having done so. :M

Neanderthal

Arcane

I still can't get me head round why they're wantin to make such a borin lookin protagonist? I mean they're directly competing wi Nameless an they think these hipster twats, who frankly I don't wanna play as, are gonna step up to plate an compete against one o best protagonist CRPGs have had? They must be off their fuckin gourd.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean they're directly competing wi Nameless an they think these hipster twats, who frankly I don't wanna play as, are gonna step up to plate an compete against one o best protagonist CRPGs have had?
don't even fucking compare TNO with those.

i hope we have custom portrait so we don't have to play as spawn of prosper

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I still can't get me head round why they're wantin to make such a borin lookin protagonist? I mean they're directly competing wi Nameless an they think these hipster twats, who frankly I don't wanna play as, are gonna step up to plate an compete against one o best protagonist CRPGs have had? They must be off their fuckin gourd.

People didn't find David Bowie boring.

I still don't understand what was so interesting to you about TNO's look, btw. He appeared as a hulking fantasy barbarian stereotype - which I suspect may have been intended to be intentionally ironic and misleading as to the game's nature. Anyway, in contrast to that, going with an androgynous rock star look for the pseudo-sequel kinda makes sense.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bowie was the antithesis to 70's mainstream culture, this is fully mainstream compatible.

He was one of the pioneers of glam rock, which was big in the 70s (and resurrected in an exaggerated fashion with all the 80s hair bands) . :M

Neanderthal

Arcane

People didn't find David Bowie boring.

I still don't understand what was so interesting to you about TNO's look, btw. He appeared as a hulking fantasy barbarian stereotype - which I suspect may have been intended to be intentionally ironic and misleading as to the game's nature. Anyway, in contrast to that, going with an androgynous rock star look for the pseudo-sequel kinda makes sense.

Scars, tats, dreads, bone armour adornments, muscles, bandages, voice, stance, various fidgets wi different weapons, kilt instead o trousers or loincloth, ugly, blue, step away from usual borin as fuck same as everybody else protagonist. An we need more half nekkid barbarians back, male an female, less ponce pop star.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Bowie was the antithesis to 70's mainstream culture, this is fully mainstream compatible.

He was one of the pioneers of glam rock, which was big in the 70s (and resurrected in an exaggerated fashion with all the 80s hair bands) . :M

Punk was also "big" in the 70s, =/= mainstream

And hair bands didn't take the androgyny thing as far as Bowie for the most part, so they were not only late to the party but kind of wishy washy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
An we need more half nekkid barbarians back, male an female, less ponce pop star.

OK, that's a desire I can understand. Yes, there's kind of a struggle now between the kind of people who appreciate gender archetypes and the ones who want to melt them away. We've got a 2000+ page thread about it in General Gaming.

But while I fall on the former side more often than not, I don't find either side's aesthetic ideal to be particularly visually interesting or non-boring. SJW and anti-SJW, they're all cliches.

(That said, this particular cliche probably conforms more closely to how your character will actually behave in the game. For most players, TNO wasn't going around cleaving skulls.)

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Punk was also "big" in the 70s, =/= mainstream

And hair bands didn't take the androgyny thing as far as Bowie for the most part, so they were not only late to the party but kind of wishy washy

Following its release on 16 June 1972, Ziggy Stardust reached No. 5 on the UK Album Chart and No. 75 in the US. It was eventually certified platinum and gold in the UK and US respectively.[33][34] The first single from the record, "Starman", charted at No. 10 in the UK while peaking at No. 65 in the US.

With a purported 100,000 copies ordered in advance,[13] Aladdin Sane debuted at the top of the UK charts and reached No. 17 in America, making it Bowie's most successful album commercially in both countries to that date. The album is estimated to have sold 4.6 million copies worldwide, making it one of Bowie's highest-selling LPs.[26] The Guinness Book of British Hit Albums notes that Bowie "ruled the (British) album chart, accumulating an unprecedented 182 weeks on the list in 1973 with six different titles."[27]

The record was Bowie's glam swan song; according to author David Buckley, "In the sort of move which would come to define his career, Bowie jumped the glam-rock ship just in time, before it drifted into a blank parody of itself".[2] At the time of its release Bowie described Diamond Dogs as "a very political album. My protest ... more me than anything I've done previously".[18] Disc magazine compared the album to The Man Who Sold the World (1970), while Rock and Sounds both described it as his "most impressive work ... since Ziggy Stardust".[18] It made No. 1 in the UK charts and No. 5 in the US (where the song "Rebel Rebel" proved popular), Bowie's highest stateside placing to that date. In Canada, it was able to repeat its British chart-topping success, hitting No. 1 on the RPM 100 national albums chart in July 1974 and holding it for two weeks.[19]

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Record sales say nothing, people could buy a record because they see you as a colourful entertaining alien rather than a role model or trailblazer.

Either way the comparison fails because the gender fluid protagonist of TToN will cause nowhere near the reaction androgyny did in the 70s. This is a tame and artistically bankrupt vision, nothing more.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Record sales say nothing, people could buy a record because they see you as a colourful entertaining alien rather than a role model or trailblazer.

You said it wasn't mainstream. Anything that makes it to or near the top of the charts is mainstream as far as I'm concerned.

Either way the comparison fails because the gender fluid protagonist of TToN will cause nowhere near the reaction androgyny did in the 70s. This is a tame and artistically bankrupt vision, nothing more.

It's the New Men Era. My reaction is revulsion.

Though honestly I felt a similar reaction to The Nameless One.

Neanderthal

Arcane
An we need more half nekkid barbarians back, male an female, less ponce pop star.

OK, that's a desire I can understand. Yes, there's kind of a struggle now between the kind of people who appreciate gender stereotypes and the ones who want to melt them away. We've got a 2000+ page thread about it in General Gaming.

But while I fall on the former side more often than not, I don't find either side's aesthetic ideal to be particularly visually interesting or non-boring. SJW and anti-SJW, they're all cliches.

(That said, this particular cliche probably conforms more closely to how your character will actually behave in the game. For most players, TNO wasn't going around cleaving skulls.)

More fool them, combat builds most enjoyable way to play Torment.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
One can argue that there's nothing more combat-y than a spell-slinging wizard who levels up quickly on account of high wisdom.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://steamcommunity.com/games/272270/announcements/detail/653417453752180573

Tidal Surge Update

Update Highlights:

• Voice-acting has been added to key characters and conversations.
  • Huge balance improvements across combat, loot and economy.
  • Tweaks and adjustments to character stats, such as armor and resistances.
  • Many interface art and functionality improvements, fixes and other refinements.
  • Improvements to visual and sound effects, especially combat abilities.
  • Reworked early-game crisis flow.
  • Game settings such as key rebinding and text size are now available.
  • Added tutorials and other helpers (optional).
  • Hundreds of bug fixes and performance optimizations.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Post everything!

Torment: Tides of Numenera Release Date, Tidal Surge Update
20 DECEMBER - SEAR

Hello all,

Today we're excited to share some very important news with you!

Release Date

First off, Torment: Tides of Numenera now has a final release date! The game is coming February 28th, 2017. When that date comes, your Steam copy will automatically update to the release build and you will be able to enjoy the entire game's contents.

We are incredibly excited about this milestone. It has been a long road and now we are finally almost ready to share the next chapter in the Torment legacy with you.

Tidal Surge Update

2061f8f5cc1136b6da1308d193089927a0cc610e.png

Second, we have a brand new update to Torment's early access version. We know many of you have been waiting for this update, and now we're very happy to be able to deliver a much-improved version of Torment for you to enjoy.

Like previous builds, this one will allow you to play the game's first major chunk, taking you through Sagus Cliffs and some parts of the Castoff's Labyrinth – the remaining content will come with the final game, as we don't want to spoil everything, after all!

The Tidal Surge Update includes literally thousands of changes from the last beta version. There's simply far too many to show you as we'd probably start to approach the word count of the entire game just in version notes, but we'll certainly give you the highlights...

Update Highlights:

• Voice-acting has been added to key characters and conversations.
  • Huge balance improvements across combat, loot and economy.
  • Tweaks and adjustments to character stats, such as armor and resistances.
  • Many interface art and functionality improvements, fixes and other refinements.
  • Improvements to visual and sound effects, especially combat abilities.
  • Reworked early-game crisis flow.
  • Game settings such as key rebinding and text size are now available.
  • Added tutorials and other helpers (optional).
  • Hundreds of bug fixes and performance optimizations.

Please note that there are some known issues with this build. You can find them listed over here.

We encourage you to check out the forums and let us know of any bugs or issues you run into, as well as for your general feedback!

Thanks everyone!

Prime Junta Tell us how it is.

Last edited:
So the game crashed when I reached the sorrow and also didn't run in Fullscreen.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom