Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
In it's current state the animations and performance looks stuttering and shitty.. The background looks washed out and the characters look weird.
Of course they will hopefully work things out before release.

In it's current state - it looks bad. Nothing close to the first video they showed. The downgrade is obvious..

But of course.. Fanboys gonna Fanboy as always.
Nobody is allowed to critique anything around here if it's made by a developer that posts on the forum occasionally. :roll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ugh we went through this downgrade nonsense with Wasteland 2. Man is not a learning animal.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What did we figure out? I forgot.

That all the polish for everything is done in the last couple of months because this is the most efficient way of doing things. All the dog and pony shows funded by publishers everyone's used to are inefficient (but they do drum up interest).

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I remember obshitian spending the last couple of months making things worse, not the other way around. There is no general rule.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That all the polish for everything is done in the last couple of months because this is the most efficient way of doing things.

I understand what you are saying but there is no guarantee that the game will hold consistent quality between all areas. Different things get different levels of polish and the dev time is getting a little long in the tooth, which is really not a surprise to anyone.

Also - The buckshot we originally saw wasn't a pre-rendered video.. it was game play although somewhat railroaded. From that to today is a huge step down. Like how do things fall apart that quickly. If they weren't ready to show it off then don't..

Why would they film the footage for an advertisement in the viewport screen anyways.. Doesn't the game fully build?

You can put me on ignore or call me a shit poster if it makes you feel better.
If the game comes out and it's awesome then that's great - it's what I want. Don't have a panic attack because I am pointing out the obvious and it's a warning bell for me.

If they are showing -this- off as an impressive feat of how far they came, I'm worried - fucking sue me. I might be pessimistic in this post-PoE world but it's not really my fault.

Weasel
All the dog and pony shows funded by publishers everyone's used to are inefficient (but they do drum up interest).

Wasteland 2 promo screenshot clarification said:
Please note: this is not an in-game screenshot. This scene was staged in-engine with dramatic back-lighting for effect. The Scorpitron and his attack effect are manually placed.

It is in-engine and the models are all from the game, but you can't have the backlighting in our game's camera angle, and the amount of post-processing and dense foliage in that shot would probably make the average computer explode. We use this kind of staged scene is concept art to proof out ideas for areas.

:troll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Gameplay videos" are exceedingly more inefficient than bullshots. :)

Different things get different levels of polish and the dev time is getting a little long in the tooth, which is really not a surprise to anyone.

That's a good thing though. Why would anyone want another RPG made in only 29 months?

it was game play although somewhat railroaded. From that to today is a huge step down

Do you not remember how we went through this same thing with Wasteland 2? A bunch of people complained about a "downgrade" after the first video.

I remember obshitian spending the last couple of months making things worse, not the other way around. There is no general rule.

OnTheEdge.png

Your memory doesn't reconcile with reality.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"Gameplay videos" are exceedingly more inefficient than bullshots. :)

That's a good thing though. Why would anyone want another RPG made in only 29 months?

Do you not remember how we went through this same thing with Wasteland 2? A bunch of people complained about a "downgrade" after the first video.

1) I think long dev times are good if they have the budget to sustain it.. Torment is getting to the point where I'm wondering if they are spinning their wheels more then anything. I hope not but it feels like it.

2) Not really.. That scorpion shot had like 0 input from the user. It looked like a cinematic. I was a little hyped but didn't really see that much of a down grade on minute to minute game play minus maybe some lighting effects. In fact that cinematic was stuffed with asset store crap so it was a little bitter sweet IMO.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1) I think long dev times are good if they have the budget to sustain it.. Torment is getting to the point where I'm wondering if they are spinning their wheels more then anything. I hope not but it feels like it.

Torment has been in full production for less than a year (Wasteland 2's release date). They definitely need the time.

2) Not really.. That scorpion shot had like 0 input from the user. It looked like a cinematic. I was a little hyped but didn't really see that much of a down grade on minute to minute game play minus maybe some lighting effects. In fact that cinematic was stuffed with asset store crap so it was a little bitter sweet IMO.

That's not what Roguey is talking about. There was lots of drama on the Codex going from the first Wasteland 2 gameplay footage (http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8788) to the second one (http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9124). It was before your time.

Why drama? Because the second one wasn't choreographed as well as the first one, basically. Oh, and people didn't like the UI, I guess that was a legitimate gripe (they fixed it, of course).

But in this case, the first Torment video didn't even have any combat in it. You're being shown more systems, so of course more roughness is going to reveal itself.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think long dev times are good if they have the budget to sustain it.. Torment is getting to the point where I'm wondering if they are spinning their wheels more then anything. I hope not but it feels like it.

Considering how much money they raised (about 1.5 million more than Wasteland 2) and all they've been getting from Wasteland 2 and other inXile product sales, I doubt budget is a concern. They're also very likely not going to need to double that budget like they did with W2 (increase it sure, but I'll be shocked if this ends up a $8-9 million game, maybe 6-7 at most).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Considering how much money they raised (about 1.5 million more than Wasteland 2) and all they've been getting from Wasteland 2

Wowow put on the breaks hunny cakes.. Wasn't that only half the budget of Wasteland 2 - Didn't Brian pitch in the other half of the total budget? :?

Are you saying sales are making up the other half? This game is way more ambitious then WL2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wowow put on the breaks hunny cakes.. Wasn't that only half the budget of Wasteland 2 - Didn't Brian pitch in the other half of the total budget? :?

Are you saying sales are making up the other half? This game is way more ambitious then WL2.

I don't understand the question, but I'll try to explain anyway. Wasteland 2 raised nearly 3 million on Kickstarter, and Fargo and inXile back catalog sales ended up adding about 2.5 million or so to that when all was said and done. Torment raised about 4 million on Kickstarter, an additional 500,000 through an additional funding campaign, and they will no doubt receive more funds from Fargo and the back catalog, which now includes Wasteland 2.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If I recall correctly (it's been a while) during the Kickstarter Fargo said he would contribute $100k on top of the original funding goal to finish up the budget. I believe the additional funding was garnered mainly through early access and sales of InXile's other games.

Fry

Arcane
Torment funding never actually stopped. According to the site, it's up to $4.9 million. And that's before they dump it into early access.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Early access version of a single player game that has a linear and set amount of content?
It's happened already with Wasteland 2 and D:OS and the extra beta testing helped them both so, yeah. :M

It's not going to be the entire thing, just like those two.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How closely related to planescape torment is this going to be? Do they just share a similar name, or is this game going to suck as well?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How closely related to planescape torment is this going to be? Do they just share a similar name, or is this game going to suck as well?

If I had the Edge troll I would put it under your post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom