Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

McPlusle

Savant
Have I unknowingly been doing a pacifist run or does this game have almost no combat? I'm five hours in and haven't entered a single fight other than the tutorial one.

mindfields

Learned
It's a good thing this game failed. We need more open-ended mechanics-focused RPGs, not simplistic story-driven garbage.

Seriously though, I thought you guys were hardcore, how were you even looking foward to an RPG with three attributes and three classes? That's Dragon Age tier, actually worse because DA had sub-classes.

Ulfhednar

Savant
It's a good thing this game failed. We need more open-ended mechanics-focused RPGs, not simplistic story-driven garbage.

Seriously though, I thought you guys were hardcore, how were you even looking foward to an RPG with three attributes and three classes? That's Dragon Age tier, actually worse because DA had sub-classes.

The point of doing a Torment redux is to build good mechanics into the story - this is why the Tides sounded awesome in concept. The only good thing that has come of this game's failure is that we now know that InXile really are just a bunch of hucksters who care very little for the quality of product that they release, and that they will happily spit in the face of their once-enthusiastic supporters when they offer constructive criticism.

The failure of this game to meet those high expectations means that future developers will look at its failure and likely conclude that mass-market is the way to go. Numbers of attributes and numbers of classes are no guarantee of quality, and it also seems that big name reputations are no sure indicator as well.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The point of doing a Torment redux is to build good mechanics into the story - this is why the Tides sounded awesome in concept. The only good thing that has come of this game's failure is that we now know that InXile really are just a bunch of hucksters who care very little for the quality of product that they release, and that they will happily spit in the face of their once-enthusiastic supporters when they offer constructive criticism.

The failure of this game to meet those high expectations means that future developers will look at its failure and likely conclude that mass-market is the way to go. Numbers of attributes and numbers of classes are no guarantee of quality, and it also seems that big name reputations are no sure indicator as well.

To elaborate further on that idea, T:ToN exists as a spiritual successor that reproduces the game design elements that made people love PS:T, but was also supposed to be "its own thing" that charted new ground in the integration of mechanics into story.

As the first its pretty average (ergo, not as good as Planescape) and at the second a few promising traces of good design spaced between generally well written but not particularly engaging content.

So basically you have an average Planescape clone. It's sort of fun if you enjoy it for what it is but it isn't a show stopper that changes the way people think about RPG design.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Got myself a copy and will be playing this while I wait for the Expeditions Viking update.

Is it still crap with the patches and update? Guess I will find out soon enough but I'm asking anyway.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Is it still crap with the patches and update?
Patches can do only so much. If a game has lots of bugs (like WL2 and PoE did) patches can help, but in TToN problems run deeper:
bU3vHXW.png

Now some fanboy might reply this isn't representative, but really much of the writing is totally inane. When you're not told painfully obvious things, it's either a storm of completely alien names (usually, places you've never heard of and won't even visit during the game) or absolute nonsense.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was known from the start that ToN would live or die by its writing, and you can't patch writing.

Roscoe Scaggs

Novice
Finally finished T:Ton over the weekend and if I hadn't already played a game that did the narrative + skill check thing better (Aod) I might have been more impressed.

I was only ever worried about running out of skill point for maybe the first hour and I didn't know how to game the system. On a second play through I would know where to rest and that there is a shit--ton of money and consumables so I could be reckless and break the balance even more.

Story and setting were neat, but branding this with the Torment label was a mistake if Inxile want me to be a repeat buyer. But they got their nostalgia bux (and keep getting them) so what the fuck do I know? If I didn't pledge to BT4 to get this game, I would be looking for a way to back out. I'm glad I passed on WL3.

The purple prose didn't bother me as much as others, but man did my eyes glaze over when doing the meres. There was no reason they could not have been isometic like the rest of the game, some of the locations were displayed in the game for piss-christ's sake!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Got myself a copy and will be playing this while I wait for the Expeditions Viking update.

Is it still crap with the patches and update? Guess I will find out soon enough but I'm asking anyway.
Nothing short of a massive overhaul and expansion could save this game. And that includes doing deep narrative changes and expanding upon content in a way that makes sense, and actually rewriting several sections, possibly in their entirety.

The flaws are too basic, the writing too awful, the mechanics too broken, the content too little, the cuts too big.

No mere patch can save this game.
It was known from the start that ToN would live or die by its writing, and you can't patch writing.
I mean. You could. I've just never seen it happen. Not even "enhanced editions" or "director's cut" versions tend to seize the opportunity to actually do even minor overhauls in terms of actual writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I mean. You could. I've just never seen it happen. Not even "enhanced editions" or "director's cut" versions tend to seize the opportunity to actually do even minor overhauls in terms of actual writing.

Divinity: Original Sin did, but apparently for the worst (i.e. they dumbed it down).

You know what. I would like to try this game, but...

- rpg codex with the article on storytelling left me in despair
- each patch remade the crysis system from what I've read and I'm not exactly sure if there is going to be a new patch or the third is definitive
- Is there a chance in a year or two a developer's cut is going to come out? I want to experience all of this once, not twice, etc.

So. What do I do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom