Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Has the thing with Fargo taking the budget and funneling it into Wasteland 3 been confirmed, by the way?
That's what Monty said. :M

Kallinyo

Novice
I can tell that they wanted to have a similar feel to planescape torment, but this game was a huge disappointment. And the endings were akin to the mass effect 3 endings. Cause I've seen some things...... and I wouldn't recommend it:negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And the endings were akin to the mass effect 3 endings.

I don't see it. It had Fallout style "decisions that happened in previous hubs" plus your final decision, colored by your dominant tide if you survive.

Kallinyo

Novice
And the endings were akin to the mass effect 3 endings.

I don't see it. It had Fallout style "decisions that happened in previous hubs" plus your final decision, colored by your dominant tide if you survive.
What I got from the tide alignment, was that their shocked if you picked x ending and whatnot. The hubs endings did matter, but the ending was very anticlimactic. I dont want to spoil anything, but because the endings just relied on that one scene, is the reason why it reminded me of ME3.

Kallinyo

Novice
Hmm, but is it a good disease though? :smug:
I don't hate those kind of endings, but I genuinely prefer the games that have an epilogue that is set after the events of the game. Where you see what your character is up to, though sometimes having a cliffhanger works too. Also having a cutscene is a great thing too, the final ending to plamescape torment is legandary:positive:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Colin McComb has a personal Discord channel where he talks about Torment: Tides of Numenera with one of his fans:

bit.ly/ColinChat

Bonus answer:

The very very original plot? It was less focused and a lot more walking around. M'ra Jolios would have happened before the Bloom. Would have had two Valleys of Dead Heroes, a Great Library, a lighthouse (in which you fended off ultradimensional invaders via a Mere), a river expedition with steel spiders,, and more.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The very very original plot? It was less focused and a lot more walking around. M'ra Jolios would have happened before the Bloom. Would have had two Valleys of Dead Heroes, a Great Library, a lighthouse (in which you fended off ultradimensional invaders via a Mere), a river expedition with steel spiders,, and more.

That ... sounds actually quite awesome, tbh. More gameplay and less Sorrow would've been a blessing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was bam, do a thing, bam, do another thing, bam, etc. Your motivation was always to go somewhere else, never explore, never get to know an area as with the city of Sigil in Planescape: Torment. "If we could make a 200-300-hour game it would be cool," Heine jokes. But they couldn't so it had to be trimmed.

I don't understand one thing: were people more focused in the past to get out a great project, or did they have just a chief that told what was the plan and they all tried to ambitiously make the game? Or maybe the chief was a dictator that told "we gotta do this, plan for it, I will choose the best idea you all have"?

Because when I read about 8 different iterations, I'm reminded that they lacked a scope or a purpose and they didn't even know what they wanted to get out.

Last edited:

cruelio

Savant
I'd still be interested to know more about how it turned out such a trainwreck. They had the budget. They had the people, at least some of whom have genuine talent (Ziets notably, and Morgan for the soundtrack). They even had MCA on board. They had a rough but functional engine and asset production pipeline. So what happened that it ended up this bloodied stump of a game with at best the wreckage of promising ideas here and there?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Fargo took their budget and gave it to Wasteland 2, told them to deal with it, and Saunders refused to budge an inch on the original vision, resulting in Keenan doing the best he could to take what they had and make it finished in a time frame Fargo deemed acceptable.

“Gave it to Wasteland 2” is a definitely a more succinct way of saying “sent to Brian Fargo’s off shore tax haven bank account.”

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I concur that picking Numenera as a setting was the worst decision of them all.

A setting where anything goes is not a setting at all, it's a Theme Park: Weird Shit.

Combine that with ruleset which is better suited for a point&click adventure than it is for a CRPG and with Monte throwing tantrums over political bullshit and you've got a recipe for disaster.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The setting is fucking great, strictly speaking. Very original. It's the lore dumps and the fact the game plays like a CYOA novel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom