Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since the first time I saw a trailer of this I've been thinking, we've been headed for this for some time, it was inevitable that TW would become "an RPG game" as well. How long until this thread gets moved? :D

your people will be itching for a fight
The level of historical accuracy is expertly covering the expectations of the "Vikings" viewer demographic. No less, nor more, was to be expected from Lusted.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
If you want a more authentic game you should try Brytenwalda or Viking Conquest for M&B Warband.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
The level of historical accuracy is expertly covering the expectations of the "Vikings" viewer demographic. No less, nor more, was to be expected from Lusted.
You mean the "whaddyawant, we even removed the horns from the helmets!" level of historical accuracy? :D

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Fame mechanic. I think one factor which has always made TW games dumb for me was that I was always obliged to preform "world conquest" or at least conquer so much of the map as to make the remaining opponents irrelevant, in order to get a victory.

A much more interesting and realistic goal would be to achieve certain balance of power by a certain date, and then victory conditions could scale from there - "major/minor/marginal", "gold/silver/bronze" etc.

Usually the game would start CTD-ing regularly far before I would manage to conquer so much, and it also lead to fantastic borders, which is a turnoff. The fame mechanic looks like something that can potentially make the game more enjoyable for me, and there also seems to be truth this time around to faction-specific mechanics and resources, as opposed to Warhammer TW where everyone had the same "mana" resource under a different name.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Nice. This is looking better and better. Smaller scale armies, need to recruit and disband regularly in order to meet the high upkeep costs, enemies disembarking during battle, etc. Plus the streamers were actually articulate.

Mark Richard

Arcane
A bunch of Youtubers were given code and a 10-30 min limit, so there's plenty to sort through. One would-be king tortured his own son to dissuade him from treachery, but the son started a civil war. Ungrateful sod.

One thing I like about the evolution of the Total War franchise is how loyalty has become an ever-present threat. Your're competing with the very generals under your command and worrying about the influence they're amassing, branching into Crusader Kings territory.

Tigranes

Arcane
Eh, I still see trademark CA battle AI in that video, with 1/3 of the army charging in way ahead of the rest, getting themselves all killed, and then the rest of the army slowly lumbers up to what has already become a foregone conclusion.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I just watched this guy's review of the current ToB build. He has a lot of negative points to make, and most of them have grounds. I am sort of hoping that the game somehow turns good but doesn't win over the mass audience of retards playing TW nowadays. He is mostly like "nothing or not enough new things", which doesn't apply for me because the last TW I've been playing seriously was MTW2.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Coming in April 19th:

The full announcement is worth mentioning:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/britannia-release-date-system-requirements

Interestingly there's no preorder bonus beyond a straight discount. Factions aren't carved up for preorder bonuses and there doesn't appear to be a tiered pricing system separating the rich and poor customers - everyone gets the same game. This is surprising. Total War: Warhammer has greyed out factions littering the campaign menu with links to the store page. For Thrones of Britannia I half expected to see these intrude into the campaign proper, with Alfred the Great breaking character in a battle speech to advertise DLC.

Additionally 25% of the profits from every preodered copy of the game goes to charity.

Beowulf

Arcane
CA pretending to have a decent title release?

That's some cunning evil shit they're doing right now.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:whatho:
The fuck is this shit,another attila dlc? All i saw from this video is that they added two idiotic unrest bars that can't be effected much.

mbv123

Arbiter
The fuck is this shit,another attila dlc? All i saw from this video is that they added two idiotic unrest bars that can't be effected much.
Don't worry, we'll get Total War with chinks next so you can expect more variety :troll:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Playing Europa Barbarorum it's hilarious how CA snatched ideas from the mod to incorporate them into their streamlined RTW2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't worry, we'll get Total War with chinks next so you can expect more variety :troll:
:martini: It will be the same shitty game with a little bit of different textures.They will just add some pointless and idiotic campaign map mechanic and few new types of unrest. We will still get 5 kind units that are reskinned twenty times each and retarded AI that could stay relevant only because it have a huge cheat sheet.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm just on twitch watching stream with legend of total war, and I heard about half hour of harsh criticism of the new total war game. Embargo dropped and he can talk about everything before turn 30 or so. Thus he mention. Religion don't do squat. In small villages you don't build anything. Ambushes are out. They removed agents. They simplified EVERYTHING they could.

I was bit dizzy from what I heard, and thinking CA went full retard. AKA they jumped the shark. So I might do some typos, but it looks BAD.

This looks like his first option on that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually nearly everyone is surprised. CA had NO reason whatever to make it more simple and in fact it had plenty of reasons to make it more complex.

What they did was creating shitty game that goes from one battle to another. Kinda like http://store.steampowered.com/app/24480/King_Arthur_II_The_RolePlaying_Wargame/ . It has beautiful 6/10 reviews down from 7/10 from when it had actually castle building and some economy.

In fact CA couldn't do it even for money, because they have enough from WH I sales, even when WH 2 kinda tanked as I predicted and explained why. WH 3 would be even worse when they would continue in simplification.

Thrones of Brittania goes into downs like: Don't build retinues, because when you don't have retinue, it will not lower morale of other leaders. No interaction with minor settlements, no culture, religion is the same for all, autoresolve broken as always, public order don't change over time only with buildings, there is no population growth, tax system is screwed up when you excerpt from low taxes it would reduce your public order.

The positive is that it's full of events. But it also implies you'd play it once, seen majority of stuff, and then why play simplified game again?

LizardWizard

Cipher
No ambushes or river usage/combats seems awful considering the era the game is set in. But agents and their spam were always retarded, broken, popamole-ish gameplay that never once required any real strategy to use. I don't see removing them as a negative.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Agent removal is the only good thing about the game. The rest was removed because it is too much work and those assholes are far too lazy and greedy. Good example is the ending of the last roman,total mass effect 3 level of garbage. By this point i hope for them to go and file bankruptcy form.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
CA is just terrible, they either make an overly complicated game with lots of unnecesary bullshit or they remove every feature and you get a super barebones product, there is no in between, no balance. They go full retard in one direction or the other.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'll be the devil's advocate here for a bit:
Population - yes, that classifies as streamlining.

Religions & Cultures - I can live with that. In the game's timespan it doesn't make sense to have big shifts in religion and culture of whole regions. Also, this is a map of the British isles only. Do you see it as more realistic to shift the culture of one shitty village without causing any change to the neighbouring villages? It's implausible, because of the size and scale of the campaign map. Think of it this way - if you win the grand campaign, that's when cultural and religious changes actually begin.

Provincial Edicts - these were already stupid to have in Rome 2. In fact managing taxes, edicts or anything else on the level of 3-4 settlements instead of on the level of a single settlement was already dumbing down. It would be cool if you were able to set up some policy at a settlement level, but I don't know how much this would be in tune with the level of complexity of governments of petty kingdoms.

Army traditions - I could see these being replaced with some sort of "warband fame"-themed tree of upgrades but, meh... Not really that important to me. I play EB for MTW2 and you know, the lack of stack upgrade tree doesn't matter one bit. If the general has his upgrade tree it's just a matter of balance whether or not the stack will have its own upgrade tree.

No agents - with the exception of spies, agents were already redundant. In Rome 2 spies became what spies + assassins were in Rome. I would miss spies, but I can live without them. BTW, EB2 institutes a limit on the number of agents you can have of any one type. Surprise surprise, this was plagiarized and adapted in RTW2. So agent flood doesn't have to be a problem at all.

No imperium - come on, the population of dung-littered hamlets are supposed to revolt against your warriors and lord because he is somehow not imposing enough in their opinion? This isn't antiquity and isn't RTW any more, dudes :D

You are able to exploit the game and take minor settlements from the AI quickly - OMG, TW games can be exploited, #shocked, #refundimmediately Meanwhile, roleplaying EB2 brings me huge enjoyment.

Global recruitment pool instead of per-province - This would have made sense to have with some factions but hardly with others (the vikings). I'll have to look into it, if it's possible to recruit units of other factions if you control any of their settlements.

No navies - Pardon my lack of education on the subject, but who had any navy to speak of in that region, in that period? Any known cases of naval battles around the 9th century British isles?

No ambush stance - Legitimately that's silly, I'd expect to be able to ambush.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom