Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Shogun 2

So will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I will wait for reviews

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wont even pirate it. I torrented Empire and it was a waste of bandwidth. If I were to pay for every byte lost I would be very butthurt indeed.

Shogun 2 is dead for em unless proven otherwise. No more freebies.

DemonKing

Arcane
Dirk Diggler said:
Not only did Empire suck, they flat out lied when they said that there would be a multiplayer campaign element.

Hasn't that since been patched in?

They still never released modding tools, which they even lied about post release, saying that it was forthcoming. CA can suck a cock. Part of the reason I love Paradox so much is the support they give modders (to the extent of giving them jobs and publishing their games).

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can't believe there could be anyone still gullible enough to buy a CA product. The saying goes "fool me once shame one you, fool me twice shame on me" not "fool me a douzend times and I still buy your shitty game". I mean their games have been going down the gutter ever since Rome Total War. It's an endless string of shitty/buggy AI (which they somehow manage to make worse with each release), bad design descisions, cutting out mod support, failed promises and lies that culminated into the total disaster that was Empire.

Even Trash seems to have managed to get this into his thick head and learned his lesson, and that's saying a lot. Shogun 2 can go to hell and CA with it.

CA suffers from the George Lucas syndrom. They are talentless hacks who, thanks to some nigh implausible set of cirumstances and a special constelation of stars that only appears once every thousand years managed to create two memorable games that had a lot of flaws but still managed to be unique and fun. And the same way that the forced reliance on models saved the Original Star Wars Trilogy from being a sucky, shitty looking CGI-fest technical limitations saved Shogun and Medieval. Both the battles as well as the risk style strategic map in those gamesl were simple enough to hide the failures of the AI and make it seem somewhat competent and challenging.
Every further effort by CA has shown that they aren't only bad game designers and programmers, but flat out liers.

DemonKing

Arcane
I enjoyed vanilla Rome:Total War the best myself, but the Kingdoms expansion for Medieval 2 was also very good.

I can't say the origonal Shogun or Medieval did much for me.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
That campaign trailer does look pretty cool, I must admit.

But so did Empire's. Never again. Not without many great reviews from Codex-level assholes, and not just bought off 9.5's from the likes of IGN.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
I can't believe there could be anyone still gullible enough to buy a CA product. The saying goes "fool me once shame one you, fool me twice shame on me" not "fool me a douzend times and I still buy your shitty game". I mean their games have been going down the gutter ever since Rome Total War. It's an endless string of shitty/buggy AI (which they somehow manage to make worse with each release), bad design descisions, cutting out mod support, failed promises and lies that culminated into the total disaster that was Empire.

Even Trash seems to have managed to get this into his thick head and learned his lesson, and that's saying a lot. Shogun 2 can go to hell and CA with it.

CA suffers from the George Lucas syndrom. They are talentless hacks who, thanks to some nigh implausible set of cirumstances and a special constelation of stars that only appears once every thousand years managed to create two memorable games that had a lot of flaws but still managed to be unique and fun. And the same way that the forced reliance on models saved the Original Star Wars Trilogy from being a sucky, shitty looking CGI-fest technical limitations saved Shogun and Medieval. Both the battles as well as the risk style strategic map in those gamesl were simple enough to hide the failures of the AI and make it seem somewhat competent and challenging.
Every further effort by CA has shown that they aren't only bad game designers and programmers, but flat out liers.

I can feel your rage bro, and I approve of it as it is Reasonable :x :thumbsup: Although the Star Wars comparison was lame

I've wasted a lot of time on the TW games, and I can confidently say at this point that Shogun was their best game. It's the most simple, which as was mentionned helps the gameplay tremendously because CA cannot handle AI, which is terrible for strategy game makers. Medieval is also good, but then I find that it is too fantasy for my tastes (medieval warfare doesn't really go along with the concept of "total war"). Shogun is really a game that was made with some heart. It's quite annoying that all the new CA faggots are starting to forget about it and see it as an oddity, I guess Shogun 2 puts it back on the map again, but then I also guess we'll be seeing all kinds of weird shit in it (the original game's fluff and manual was actually written with the help of Stephen Turnbull who is a fucker that has written 28328032903293 books on samurai). If they manage to keep it tight like the first game somehow, this will just be a graphical update with shit AI and strategy map, so there's no point to it

Tycn

Savant
Empire was so bad I felt burned after not removing it. I find the notion that people have actually paid for it quite horrifying.

barnEbiss

Novice
sweet they are bringing back the Ninja and Giesha agents.
Showgun total war is the main strategy game I still have installed on my computer of all of the total war games. and if they can stick true to the classic showgun then this will probably be the next game I get.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Nostradumbass said:
Shannow said:
So it's "Maybe" (although I'm pretty sure the idiots will put STEAM in, forcing me to torrent).

aha, so this is how we justify piracy these days :salute: "forcing".. with a gun to your head!
Damn, that took long...
Anyway, glad you asked: A gun to my head doesn't justify amoral decisions on my part. I wonder how you came to the conclusion that murdering an innocent little babe was any less vile just because you did it because you wanted to save your own pitiful, worthless life...
Since that's out of the way: Reason != justification. Since I have no compunction about piracy in general I don't need justification. The "reason" I'll most probably pirate Shogun 2 is STEAM and everything it stands for. I like TW games, I've just started a game of MTW2 with SS6.4. I'd really like to throw some money CA's way despite their broken promises, etc. But I'm not desperate enough for good deeds that I'll buy a game that's already running on my machine and I won't support STEAM, but I will play Shogun 2 :smug:

Nostradumbass

Scholar
Shannow said:
Anyway, glad you asked: A gun to my head doesn't justify amoral decisions on my part. I wonder how you came to the conclusion that murdering an innocent little babe was any less vile just because you did it because you wanted to save your own pitiful, worthless life...

^ this is why you don't do drugs. :retarded:

if you had a gun to your head, it wouldn't influence you to do anything you wouldn't normally do? so you'd rather die, than, say, set fire to an empty house (where no one would be physically hurt; just material wealth would be lost). interesting.

on the other hand, you accuse me of being capable of killing a "babe" (in order to save my own life), if I had a gun to my head. and you came to that conclusion just because I believe that being under threat of death might influence you to do something you wouldn't normally do (like pirate a video game).

yessss, I see now how you jumped from my example of piracy to murder! it makes perfect sense!

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Tycn said:
Empire was so bad I felt burned after not removing it. I find the notion that people have actually paid for it quite horrifying.
You get double points if you think of the time you put in to make the money to do so.

Erzherzog

Magister
Dirk Diggler said:
DemonKing said:
Dirk Diggler said:
Not only did Empire suck, they flat out lied when they said that there would be a multiplayer campaign element.

Hasn't that since been patched in?
It's in beta right now AFAIK.

FFS still? Promised to be capable on release, then promised a few months after release, now it's a few years after, they really fucking hate their fans.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
No I'm not getting it. I think it's designed for dumb asses like all their last games. When I remember how I adored Shogun Total War I could cry.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Burning Bridges said:
No I'm not getting it. I think it's designed for dumb asses like all their last games. When I remember how I adored Shogun Total War I could cry.

Personally I wouldn't be this upset if the original Shogun would still run on todays pc's. Fuck, CA is still selling it in a goldbox edition but they never bothered to update it so it would run on modern graphical cards.

:x

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It doesn't run? I think I was able to play it two or three years ago. Still haven't downgraded from XP though.

Wikipedia on Shogun said:
However, the game was not considered to be substantive enough simply with the real-time battles; Simpson recalls that "the problem [was] that the battles themselves were very short, and we needed something to tie it together and make people care about the battles". The result was the introduction of the campaign map, intended to provide the player with a broader strategic perspective and context for the battles.

This is the problem. The original Shogun was designed for the RTS combat first and foremost, with the TBS stuff being made simple and easy to use for the AI while you go from battle to battle. Since then pretty much no changes have happened to the RTS phase and every game iteration has been about trying to force more bullshit that the AI can't use and that only larpers care about into the TBS mode.

catfood said:
Codexlurker said:
markec said:
Ill rather buy Total War Medieval from GOG, if it ever comes there.

I would rather play MTW, but the damn thing doesn't work with my Nvidia drivers!

I feel your pain bro. :( Neither does STW

I'm 90% sure the fix I posted earlier for MTW works just as well for STW as well.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You are implying they used the same AI source code for every game. However AI should be made again for every game for the same reasons why each game has different art assets.

BTW Is Turnbull working at this game? If not, and there is no other person with knowledge about Sengoku era in the team, it could be quite bad.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Overweight Manatee said:
I'm 90% sure the fix I posted earlier for MTW works just as well for STW as well.

I'm almost 100% positive that nothing works. Mind posting the fix again? Can't find anything in search.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom