Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Shogun 2

So will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I will wait for reviews

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Multi-headed Cow

Trash said:
Glad to see CA come up with an expansion that actually improves the game just like BI and Kingdoms did.
Wait wut. BI added stuff to the base game, Kingdoms didn't (As far as I remember). Does this?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, there is a Retrofit Mod that incorporates all the improvements to the vanilla campaign. Also it had lots of gameplay improvements which the modders made use of.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Multi-headed Cow said:
Trash said:
Glad to see CA come up with an expansion that actually improves the game just like BI and Kingdoms did.
Wait wut. BI added stuff to the base game, Kingdoms didn't (As far as I remember). Does this?

Some AI improvements, battle maps and apparantly a few new siege maps as well. Otherwise ROTS just has a whole different campaign and tech tree. Which amusingly enough ends with the stuff you start the vanilla campaign with. ;)

Multi-headed Cow

Well at least the siege maps (Not sure on battle maps or AI improvements) were added for free in the most recent patch. Haven't played since the patch, but I did see the siege maps specifically mentioned in the notes.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The last update has a tendency to make my game crash when I access the diplo screen. Very fucking annoying.

Ed123 said:
And don't listen to the faggots on twcenter asking for a Kwan civil war setting. Nobody cares about your shitty civil war.

Exactly. Personally I want and expect to see a Rome II. The faction families and new influence mechanic seem to be perfect for it.

Satan

Educated
Rome II or Greek Cities would be perfect, alternatively something set in Asia in ancient or medieval times (by Asia I mean not Japan)

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Ed123 said:
And don't listen to the faggots on twcenter asking for a Kwan civil war setting. Nobody cares about your shitty civil war.

It would require too much deviation from the Total War formula as it stands, anyway.

Satan said:
Rome II or Greek Cities would be perfect, alternatively something set in Asia in ancient or medieval times (by Asia I mean not Japan)

Dark Ages: Total War, start at the collapse of Rome and go until 1066, that's what I want. Bring back the Horde mechanics from BI and the religion system too. It would be glorious, and, therefore, they won't make it.

Raapys

Arcane
Don't care all that much about the period as long as it doesn't have firearms, but I want my risk-style map back. The whole wandering around with armies and agents part of the post-MTW games is absurdly boring.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want Renaissance: Total War. Late Middle Ages up to early Modern Age. From heavily armored knights and early handgonnes to cuirassiers and matchlock muskets. Would be heavan.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Raapys said:
Don't care all that much about the period as long as it doesn't have firearms, but I want my risk-style map back. The whole wandering around with armies and agents part of the post-MTW games is absurdly boring.

+1

Also modding.

Nah, won't happen.

oscar

Arcane
I think Total War benefits from a smaller (geographically not in-game) map and scale. It always feels incredibly wrong to me seeing all of France conquered by a 2,000 man army.

It felt alot less silly and more plausible in Shogun for this reason. Something like the Peninsular War, American Revolutionary War or the feuds between the city states of North Italy could also work.

MapMan

Arcane
Did any of you try to get Darth Mod working with skidrow version of shogun?

Steve

Augur
Ed123 said:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=338786

So this may be old noos to some of ye, but I've been out of the modding loop for a while. Anyway, whilst I knew 30, 40+ unit stacks were possible in modded cutom battles (albeit slightly broken), it appears this mod has borken the previously-believed-to-be-hardcoded unit stacks limit in campaign?! P. big deal to me anyway.

How does that affect the AI? From my experience, the bigger the unit cap and size is, the more confused the AI is.
Gonna try it though, Napoleon is my favorite time period in the series, too bad it's also the shittiest game in the series.

Vibalist

Arcane
CaptainAwesome said:
I thought Rise of the Samurai is an interesting turnaround from the original game.

In the original, everyone is rabidly attacking eachother with well trained armies.

In this one, it's more about the cutthroat diplomacy, as the armies are mainly levies which are incredibly unreliable. This forces you to rely on your agents and tech to start getting decent troops. The warfare between the massive alliance blocks is also a nice feature.

Does Realm Divide happen in Rise of the Samurai too? Because then I think I will most certainly need a mod.

I've been playing the original Shogun with the mod that was posted here earlier which heavily modifies the effects of realm divide (so that you can keep your allies) and I wouldn't wanna play this game any other way.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
fart

So I got this game free with my graphics card last year, the latest uberpatch made me feel like actually starting to play it. I enjoyed Medieval 2, but terrible as it sounds, I just have no interest in feudal Jipjopland and that's kind of put me off so far. Are there any mods that really improve a first-time playthrough?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Good ones? There is a mod that removes some of the AI cheats, there is an AI improvement mod that's neat, there is a mod to limit the impact of the realm divide event. Those are the ones I liked best although the game is already good enough for a vanilla playthrough.

There is also the Darthmod overhaul one. Matter of taste though. Personally I don't like the lingering aftertaste of Greek assburger on that one.

PS: FOTS is still kicking my ass on hard. Goddamn AI is rabid all over again. Look weak for a second and it comes for you. Allied, trading and best friends or not. At least the AI cheat mod removes uber stacks at the start so I do have a fighting chance. I really do miss the ability to set the difficulty for BAI and CAI seperately.

oscar

Arcane
Road to Kyoto improved the game immeasurably for me. Both the battles and the campaign are slowed down a bit, yet are still more difficult than vanilla. This is interesting as they removed the ability of the AI to cheat yet I still lost my first 1:1 odds battle in a Total War game ever. I had a blast as the Christian Otomo, using my early firearms to carve a swath thorugh Japan and bring the Word of the Lord to the heathen Japs.

Don't touch Darthmod unless you like seeing Darth Vader on every loading screen instead of elegant Japanese woodcuts.

MapMan

Arcane
Don't touch Darthmod unless you like seeing Darth Vader on every loading screen instead of elegant Japanese woodcuts.

wat.

Don't listen to those infidels. DarthMod for vanilla Shogun II (no idea about dlcs, expansions or whatever) is really awesome. For me the most important parts were the battle balances, improved AI, better diplomacy. As you can see above, in vanilla I lost the will to play after realm divide when everyone went batshit insane and attacked me. This turned the game into massing units and steamrolling over enemies.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I really do miss the ability to set the difficulty for BAI and CAI seperately.
You can't do that. On compaingn map AI is preparing theirs units for doctrine it would use in battle. If you separated these two, battlefiled AI would be disconnected and would be unable to do stuff with these units.

For example. AI would like to preserve some units because of its strategic goals, however when separated, battlefield AI would use them because they were convenient to use. Which would cause loss of the whole campaign. In another example, campaign AI would create some units that can be lost, however battlefield AI would be too careful about them and don't use them sufficiently aggressively in flanking, and lose all units.

See? When AI will not know what it could replace, and what not, it would be significantly gimped after battle.

Of course if CA would simply create few bonus units without forcing AI to spend money on them, you are going from one battle into another without need for a strategic plan. But that would be boring.

spectre

Arcane
Morgoth said:
I'm looking forward to some shitty console-to-PC port. Not.
How fitting. I was beginning to think that CA finally got their shit together (as in making games that are playable in vanilla state bacaue their policy on modding and dlc... let's just leave it here).
Here's hoping for Rome 2 and modding tools for the empire engine before the next gen hammer falls.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You can't do that. On compaingn map AI is preparing theirs units for doctrine it would use in battle. If you separated these two, battlefiled AI would be disconnected and would be unable to do stuff with these units.

I really think you're overestimating the AI routines in use.

Emily

Arcane

The sad thing, is that many folks over at tw center proved, that ai magicaly spawns full stacks out of thin air, and has something which could only called level scaling for strategy game ( lol weird i know) which scales AI troops against your troops, but in a way that you can beat them... So you can even say they turned Shogun 2 into massive party based rpg that has level scaling LOL

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Of course CA is using AI that is brain dead and don't use advanced techniques that are not taught in school, and not written in science articles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom