Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Shogun 2

So will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I will wait for reviews

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
It doesn't really take a genius to see the difference between a battle account posted by the modder who has unlocked the ability to fight the AI in the demo, and the babblings of some random fanboy or member of the extended hype machine.

That said, it's a positive hint, and nothing more. It's a single battle account, on a version of the AI that was never meant to be seen, that CA arguably took some pains to keep hidden. I'm not saying the AI will definitely be shite, but it'll take seeing it with my own eyes to really convince me of its competence, at this stage.

imagine if it was true, though. Imagine.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Local Belgium Gameplay mag had an editorial about publishers holding off on releasing review codes and versions untill the game is released or demand a good review to those they release it to. Activision was one of the culprits. They however noted that Sega was refreshingly different and gave them an early review version of Shogun 2 quite on time.

Then they said that they would however wait with the review because it was absolutely riddled with bugs and wanted to wait and see what the retail version would be like. Oh dear...

They noted that they did like the battles very much though. Most bugs seemed to be present on the campaign map.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, they called Fallout: Las Vegas a typical Obsidian bug ridden crapfest just to keep their image as grumpy old gamers, so they are known to exagerate when they feel like it instead of understating things. Their taste really differs from reviewer to reviewer but they do have great articles on the state of the gaming industry. Oh well. Will see how it turns out. On one hand a good demo which showed a fun and seemingly bug free campaign mode after it was modded. Otoh a shit CA track record and a magazine saying in one sentence hidden in an article that it was so bugged that they decided not to review it. Interesting.

My money is on it being crap though.

kris

Arcane
FatCat said:

I'll be serious this time. You still sound like a fanboy though.

Thing is that the battle AI was never smart, but it could be competent. The biggest problem was the strategy AI. Now the problem with the strategy AI seeped over to the battle AI simply because the AI couldn't create balanced armies. So you could always use some of their weaknesses. The battle described in that link shows the AI using a balanced army and a human player surprised by how he uses it.

Old Shogun AI was pretty much always competent in battles.

I do hope though that the battle AI is closer to what it was in original Shogun.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Trash said:
They noted that they did like the battles very much though. Most bugs seemed to be present on the campaign map.
That's the most important part.

I looked at the forum. It looked like parts of AI were missing, not included in demo on purpose, or required an XML file.

It looks like it would need quite a few patches after release. It might shine in comparison to Empire TW.

Casus belli

Liturgist
I don't really care much about the campaign map in general honestly, I've always played the Total War games for the battles, which is something I can't find in the Paradox games, which have a much superior strategic layer.

Casus belli said:
I don't really care much about the campaign map in general honestly, I've always played the Total War games for the battles, which is something I can't find in the Paradox games, which have a much superior strategic layer.

The trouble is, unless you just play quick battles, or some of the single battles, you need a half decent campaign AI to build a decent economy and army in order to have a decent battle from time to time. Catch 22.

FatCat

Educated
Blackadder said:
Casus belli said:

The trouble is, unless you just play quick battles, or some of the single battles, you need a half decent campaign AI to build a decent economy and army in order to have a decent battle from time to time. Catch 22.

You can play multiplayer for battles as mp is overhauled.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Shogun: Total War is a lovely game, but not without flaws. Unfortunately, the sequel seems to be entirely based around the aspects that made the original less than perfect: far too simple resource management, next to nonexistent diplomacy and unhistorical silliness meant to cater to intellectual degenerates, i.e. the Geisha and Kensai units. Besides, the new mapmode is far too reminiscent of those in recent Civilization titles. The old one looks much better, like an actual planning table.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, previously it took them months to release patches (if they did at all) so any released in the first week wouldn't be so bad. Hoping for a completely polished release is something that I gave up long ago with CA.

So far it seems the one mayor point that has the fanboyz up in arms is that DX10 isn't automatically recognised on every pc. CA posted a manual fix for that one and promise a steam update in the next 48 hours. Other than that there are hardly any people complaining about gameplay, AI or the likes. Hell, even finding a good first impression is rather hard. I attribute that more to the retards being more interested in their shiny graphics than anything else. Compared to the shitstorm that came with the release of Empire it is quiet though. Lowered expectations or an initially favourable impression? Will see.

FatCat

Educated
Only problem so far as what an ass CraigTW is and that he tells lies.

Now game supports only DX9 and NO AA.
They promise that patch will be today that will probably include dx10 and AA support.
DX10.1 and DX11 will be patched in after 2-4 weeks.

Apart from that game is good or at least so ppl who have the game say.

Still waiting my pre-order to arrive :(

I await further news from trusted Codex sources. Trash, you are naturally included in this, but take your time. I know how easily you can be sucked in by your first impressions..

Oh, and they haven't used online DRM again, have they?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's activated through steam. Also ran in the problem where steam wants to download the game even though installing from DVD. Delete all local content and try again. Game is atmospheric as hell so far and runs smooth. No glaring bugs to be discovered. CAI is not that aggressive on normal and BAI so far has done no stupid things. Nothing especially extraordinary either, when on defensive against stronger force it takes a defenisve posture and won't try to sally. When on attack against a smaller enemy it will try to flank or envelop. Huge difference from Empire but to someone who has been playing TW games since Shogun 1 it is easy to see what parameters are in work. For the bad, don't like how timid the CAI is so far, naval invasions seem once again to be not present in the CAI's routine (which is becoming a series staple, even though Napoleon didn't have that problem.) , sieges are defenitely not the BAI's strong point (combat turns into a blob often), naval portion feels tacked on and unneccesary and the map feels rather streamlined and confined (Lots of chokepoints and single routes into other territories which might really hurt replay value.)

It's fun so far but I'm not sure if it has lasting appeal.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam activation is required yet again?

Yep, I'm going to buy it about a year from now when the price is down. Don't like paying full price for a product that requires steam activation, especially if it's a strategy game like TW...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Twcenter tards are going apeshit that the game is 'too hard'. Which is bullshit. CAI will attack fiercely but only if it percieves you as a weakling with underpowered garrisons and scattered forces. Garrison frontier provinces extensively and you won't get raped. Send all your troops to try and blitz your way through the game and you might as well throw down your pants and bend over.

Still, blitzing did usually work in previous CA games so to see the CAI at least fight back is nice.

And apparantly 'units flee too easily' as well. Sure they do. If you think using unexperienced peasants should win you fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom