Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Total War: Warhammer, Cinematic Announcement Trailer

flabbyjack

Arcane
They really should have called this Total Warhammer

Some stupid alternatives
Warhammer Total War: Total War Edition
Total War Warhammer: The Warhammering
Total War Warhammer
Total War: Warhammer Mark of War
Total Warhammer War Total War

ugh, stupid branding.

Diggfinger

Arcane
This looks kindda cool, I have fond memories of the (brutally tough!) Warhammer: Dark Omen.

According to Greg Kasavin's Twitter post, some of the dudes who did that game are now at Creative Assembly...

ZV3ZmJLd_normal.jpeg
Greg Kasavin@kasavin · Apr 22

There was a great Warhammer PC game in the '90s called Dark Omen. I think some of the devs went on to form Creative Assembly but not sure.

Last edited:

Disgruntled

Savant
This should be interesting. The setting and unit diversity alone would make it worth my while, as long as there arent any major fuck ups like Rome 2.
Having slogged through so many historical TW campaigns I dont mind one in fantasy, otherwise the Warhammer universe would not be my top pick.

Attila delivered on my low expectations, CA should meet them again if TW: Warhammer isnt undercooked on delivery.

Last edited:

TedNugent

Arcane
Creative Assembly's community manager is taking questions on Dakka:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/645804.page

Creative Assembly Community Coordinator said:
In Total War: WARHAMMER you’ll have four races to choose from, Greenskins, The Empire, Dwarfs and Vampire Counts. Each race has a legendary lord character , who is the leader of a faction within your chosen race.

]There will be a number of legendary Lords from the Warhammer world available to play as in the game. These will act as both your leader and the principle general of one of your many armies, though they work somewhat differently to previous Total War games. First of all, these are Lords of near-mythical power, and make a tremendous impact on the battlefield. They’ll also be able to undertake multi-stage quests which lead to epic set-piece battles, the outcome of which may bestow them with legendary items, armour or weapons.

Each legendary character has a quest arc, unique abilities, armour, weapons and in some cases, access to mounts. Each race will play very differently from each other; to master them all will require massive variation in campaign and battle strategy. Greenskins aren’t going to behave the same way as the Empire for example, and will have access to different playstyles and features.

Some official wording on how it will all work;

We’re planning full game follow-ups, DLC content packs and Free-LC to follow the main release. These will include new playable Lords, units, races and more. We’ll talk about these in time, but for now, our focus is on crafting a deep, rich and content-heavy main game.

Future instalments of the trilogy will expand the world-map, bringing unique new terrain and introducing new playable Lords and their races. We’re planning these to be massive standalone follow-ups to the main game (like ATTILA to ROME II).
You’ll be able to get just these and play them on their own if you like or, if you have the main game too, you’ll eventually be able to play across an expanded campaign map that includes all available areas of the Old World. These follow-ups combined with the main game will create the biggest single Total War experience ever.

It will run through Steam so yes its a PC game

Let me know if you want me to ask him a question and I'll hop over.

Last edited:

Mask

Literate
That announcement trailer gives absolute no info on the game whatsoever. There's literally zero ingame footage.
A CGI hype trailer that is absolutely useless for anything other than generating hype? Say it ain't so.

This looks kindda cool, I have fond memories of the (brutally tough!) Warhammer: Dark Omen.

According to Greg Kasavin's Twitter post, some of the dudes who did that game are now at Creative Assembly...

ZV3ZmJLd_normal.jpeg
Greg Kasavin@kasavin · Apr 22

There was a great Warhammer PC game in the '90s called Dark Omen. I think some of the devs went on to form Creative Assembly but not sure.

Mobygames seems to say that one of the art guys who worked on Dark Omen has also worked on several Total War games, and that's it. Most of the team seem to have gone on to work on Harry Potter games.

dag0net

Arcane
Reallysimple answer to that question: Because they do what they do better than anybody else.

Maybe if they keep trying they'll release one that works. Or they'll try a "This one makes it work DLC"

flabbyjack

Arcane
So this thing has been bothering me, I have noticed that there are several (crappy) games set in the Warhammer IPs (Warhammer and/or Warhammer 40k).

It seems like licenses to use the IP are being sold to all comers like a cheap hooker.

One glance at their (dozens?) of Warhammer canon fiction novels is admittedly awesome, though. The glance is awesome, not the actual books themselves lol.

Holy moly, they also sell 'Lord of the Rings' figurines. What the hell is wrong with these people?

3WEpPa.jpg

Stargazer_

Thanks for the upload, Zed.

Now I'm going to kill you for stealing the brofists.

And holy fuck, only four races?

Those of you complaining about only 4 factions on release - rumours for the next tabletop edition point at two factions (Order and Kaos) :troll:
Pretty much truth, Just be glad this isn't based on Age of Shitmar.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So this thing has been bothering me, I have noticed that there are several (crappy) games set in the Warhammer IPs (Warhammer and/or Warhammer 40k).

It seems like licenses to use the IP are being sold to all comers like a cheap hooker.

One glance at their (dozens?) of Warhammer canon fiction novels is admittedly awesome, though. The glance is awesome, not the actual books themselves lol.

Holy moly, they also sell 'Lord of the Rings' figurines. What the hell is wrong with these people?

3WEpPa.jpg
Games Workshop have a LOTR tabletop game too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom