Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Total War: Warhammer, Cinematic Announcement Trailer

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Those motherfucking orcs

1327633459263.png

??? Only in 40k are they called Orks.

Neanderthal

Arcane
One does not ask the name of the Xenos underfoot, one simply blesses their chainsword and looks for the next.

Saint Mourngang the Merciful, in his fourth book on the wisdom of ignorance.

TedNugent

Arcane
Look at dis posh humie git tryin to sound smart.

Listen here ya git, we'z gonna smash ya and smash ya good, take al yer teef and exchange it for a nice shoota.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I can see myself declaring this 's "shit" within a few days. All cinema no substace. However a 3 year later huge Steam sale slowly behemothly patched up with all extra content would be a decent grab.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I can see myself declaring this 's "shit" within a few days. All cinema no substace. However a 3 year later huge Steam sale slowly behemothly patched up with all extra content would be a decent grab.
The cinematics are terrible compared to Mark of Chaos. And Warhammer Online's cinematic opening is worse (than Mark of Chaos') but still decent.

kris

Arcane
The cinematics are terrible compared to Mark of Chaos. And Warhammer Online's cinematic opening is worse (than Mark of Chaos') but still decent.

Noob commander, everyone knows you dont break formation and charge if you got an unit with polearms and guns.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Noob commander, everyone knows you dont break formation and charge if you got an unit with polearms and guns.

He's a Warrior Priest, he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

Formations tend to be strong in a unilateral direction (line or column), being stuck in a circle because you are being attacked on all sides isn't really a useful formation because polearm defense is not quite useful if each one is at a different angle. Unless it's one of those Greek/Macedonian ones (I forget, though weren't they shield + spear based anyway?). Better to try to pierce through one direction and then turn around into a proper formation.

Edit: Plus, the main reason you want to remain static with spears is to take advantage of the momentum of a cavalry charge. I doubt a defensive spear "line" would be that useful against heavy infantry.

TLDR they were already fucked. Should've brought Dwarves instead.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane

Formations tend to be strong in a unilateral direction (line or column), being stuck in a circle because you are being attacked on all sides isn't really a useful formation because polearm defense is not quite useful if each one is at a different angle. Unless it's one of those Greek/Macedonian ones (I forget, though weren't they shield + spear based anyway?). Better to try to pierce through one direction and then turn around into a proper formation.

Edit: Plus, the main reason you want to remain static with spears is to take advantage of the momentum of a cavalry charge. I doubt a defensive spear "line" would be that useful against heavy infantry.

Formation-wise you are correct. But they had gunners. Basically they should have stayed close apart, let the polearm men keep enemies at a distance while gunners fire from a protected position and hammer man hammer away.

Was fantastic coordination from the Chaos guys though. To manage to attack them from all directions at the same time in a forest covered in fog, did they have radio equipment?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Formation-wise you are correct. But they had gunners. Basically they should have stayed close apart, let the polearm men keep enemies at a distance while gunners fire from a protected position and hammer man hammer away.

Was fantastic coordination from the Chaos guys though. To manage to attack them from all directions at the same time in a forest covered in fog, did they have radio equipment?
They used their Vox Coms.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So anything further about this or will it be an epic shitstorm? WTF is with companies not able to do good warhammer fantasy games in the new era? Haven't played the two most recent releases, vermintide and the other one in Mordheim I think.

TedNugent

Arcane

The two centers engaged at about 3pm, with the Macedonians advancing on the Romans a short distance from the Roman camp. Paullus claimed later that the sight of the phalanx filled him with alarm and amazement. The Romans tried to beat down the enemy pikes or hack off their points, but with little success. Roman officers began to despair. One 'rent his garments' in impotent fury. Another seized his unit's standard and threw it among the enemy. His men made a desperate charge to recapture it, but were beaten back despite inflicting some casualties. Unable to get under the thick bristle of pikes, the Romans used a planned retreat over the rough ground.

But as the phalanx pushed forward, the ground became more uneven as it moved into the foothills, and the line lost its cohesion, being forced over the rough terrain. Paullus now ordered the legions into the gaps, attacking the phalangites on their exposed flanks. At close quarters the longer Roman sword and heavier shield easily prevailed over the Macedonian Kopis and lighter armor of the Macedonians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pydna

TedNugent

Arcane
So anything further about this or will it be an epic shitstorm? WTF is with companies not able to do good warhammer fantasy games in the new era? Haven't played the two most recent releases, vermintide and the other one in Mordheim I think.

Just this

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

The two centers engaged at about 3pm, with the Macedonians advancing on the Romans a short distance from the Roman camp. Paullus claimed later that the sight of the phalanx filled him with alarm and amazement. The Romans tried to beat down the enemy pikes or hack off their points, but with little success. Roman officers began to despair. One 'rent his garments' in impotent fury. Another seized his unit's standard and threw it among the enemy. His men made a desperate charge to recapture it, but were beaten back despite inflicting some casualties. Unable to get under the thick bristle of pikes, the Romans used a planned retreat over the rough ground.

But as the phalanx pushed forward, the ground became more uneven as it moved into the foothills, and the line lost its cohesion, being forced over the rough terrain. Paullus now ordered the legions into the gaps, attacking the phalangites on their exposed flanks. At close quarters the longer Roman sword and heavier shield easily prevailed over the Macedonian Kopis and lighter armor of the Macedonians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pydna
Yeah, go ahead and do that against 7-8 armored hulks growling at you, their claidheamh-mór ready at hand. Sorcerous methheads hacking at you with the arm they still have attached. One of them pisses blood and your mouth gapes while the giant simply grins.

When you pierce their chest, you do not pierce their heart. For they have no hearts.

TedNugent

Arcane
Did you even read it, lol.

Its a description of a battle between Macedonian pike phalanxes versus Roman legionaries. The pikes hold off the Romans while they're in formation, but once they move over uneven ground, their formation breaks and the Roman legionaries are able to slip between the gaps of their formation and move into close quarters, where they dominate because of their better swords and shields.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Did you even read it, lol.

Its a description of a battle between Macedonian pike phalanxes versus Roman legionaries. The pikes hold off the Romans while they're in formation, but once they move over uneven ground, their formation breaks and the Roman legionaries are able to slip between the gaps of their formation and move into close quarters, where they dominate because of their better swords and shields.
Do you understand that Chaos Chosen are powered by the sorcery of Gods? These aren't Macedonian pike phalanxes verses Roman legions. These are John Connor's scouting party ambushed by T-800s.

Now if you're talking about real life. Those aren't Roman legionairies. The Romans (heavy infantry) fought via attrition, using several lines (I believe 3 usually?), where the front line would be replaced by the second line when the front line was exhausted.

If anything it'd be like pikemen surrounded by heavy cavalry. And phalanxes are directional. Strong against the front, weak against flank and rear. That's the obvious advantage of a phalanx - that the front is overloaded with advantageous reached (and still powerful) weapons.

Don't forget also that the basic initiation of battle for the defense is to counter-charge at the correct moment.

Edit 1923: Also regulated formations are most susceptible to flanking. Besides some sort of 360 degree turtle formation with heavy shields (which I saw in some Romance of the Three Kingdoms movie but I'm not sure is real).

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You both are right they are at least dozen of Chaos Champions ambushing the equivalent of IG platoon led by single Space Marine Chaplain ( WarPriest of Sigmar)... the Imperials were fracked no matter what tactics they chosen... but the Pydna battle was pure badassery of only Macedonians could effort Heteroi Cavalry Philip and Alexander had they could smash the Romans and roll their flanks the same way Goths did at Adrianopolis.... Falangs was only half of war machine Macedonian army was... and BTW this is done on Warscape engine right? Than it will be shite no matter what.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You both are right they are at least dozen of Chaos Champions ambushing the equivalent of IG platoon led by single Space Marine Chaplain ( WarPriest of Sigmar)... the Imperials were fracked no matter what tactics they chosen... but the Pydna battle was pure badassery of only Macedonians could effort Heteroi Cavalry Philip and Alexander had they could smash the Romans and roll their flanks the same way Goths did at Adrianopolis.... Falangs was only half of war machine Macedonian army was... and BTW this is done on Warscape engine right? Than it will be shite no matter what.
Nah it ain't an IG platoon. IG use flashlights.

And Romans don't fight anywhere the same as the Chaos in the movie. I'm very serious when they fought in the attrition-rank method. Obviously they used skirmishers very well too. You'd need flank protection via combined arms and these guys don't.

Edit: I believe phalanxes could switch direction easily but still the emphasis was on one direction at a time. Having pikes facing multiple directions negates a huge advantage, because the point of a phalanx/spear formation is to have enough polearms to cover the area so that (non-heavy) cavalry is mandated to be hit. Formations work as a unit, individuals are only cells of the organ.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Why are people still posting in this thread?

TC is dead, go here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/new-total-war-game-warhammer.96487/
Because TC is better.

(And Total War's is quite micro as better tactics in battles IMO matter more than management outside of battles.

Edit: There is strategy but it leans more towards Chess in terms of tactics mattering more than strategy. IMO strategy has more fog-of-war and risk management, whereas tactics is more "discrete.")

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
to offer some views on the Mark of Chaos scenario, what the Sigmarite did was the best course of action according to those circumstances. Simply comparing the units, Pikemen and ranged to a Chaos warrior unit and a Goblin unit would have resulted in an unavoidable loss to the Empire units. I played the game enough times over two or more years to say it would be unlikely for any of the individual Chaos warriors to be lost (unless the Empire's ranged units could use their concentrated ability before entering melee - which the Goblins would take first anyway)

however, the Warrior Priest can self-heal and it was altogether common for players to field a Warrior Priest consisting of about one-third of the total worth of an army (i.e. 5k - 10k ...)

in theory the Warrior Priest could have won that battle unaided, trying to break one side of the perimeter and establish a line would have been for the benefit of all other Empire units

it was a great game but there were a lot of issues with a lack of point restrictions for special units, or unit restrictions per army, resulting in all kinds of issues with online play. For instance my, which I now realise and have to admit was flawed, three High Elf princes with horses using Phoenix Shot to easily dispatch multiple units at a time whilst being one of the fastest units on the field..

Delbaeth

Learned
Can't wait for Dwarfs Train crawlling, swimming and attacking behond ennemy lines. That's a bug I would like to see as a feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom