Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Toxikk - A proper FPS on Unreal Engine?

Dr Tomo

Learned
So it looks like a studio has already beaten Cliffy on making a shooter that is arena based, but can Cliffy prove this studio wrong that f2p and arena shooter does work?

This Upcoming PC FPS Has No Leveling, Classes, Regenerating Health, or Cover System
Toxikk is a new game from German indie developer Reakktor; check out a video and images here.

Modern first-person shooter games like Call of Duty and Battlefield have conditioned players to expect elements like leveling, classes, and cover systems. But one upcoming FPS has none of those features, and its developer--German studio Reakktor--says the game is better off for it.

Toxikk is a PC title built using Epic Games' Unreal Engine. The game is designed to return the arena FPS genre to its roots, which means no leveling, no regenerating health, no perks, no cover systems, no classes, no configurable weapons, and no iron-sight aiming. "Toxikk plays as if today's military shooters never existed," its developers say.

Instead, players will find that Toxikk allows for "fast and precise movement," thanks to "deeply configurable" mouse controls. You can also perform double-jumps and dodge-jumps. In addition, players can pick up various performance boosters in the game to supplement your arsenal of weapons. There are nine unique guns in all, and you can carry them all simultaneously. In addition, every weapon has a secondary fire mode.

When you die in Toxikk (and it sounds like that will happen often), you will respawn with a melee weapon and basic pistol, nothing more. You'll need to find other weapons on the battlefield. Though there is character customization, it is cosmetic in nature only, Reakktor says. This is part of ensuring that "all players are equal."

Toxikk gives off a Unreal Tournament meets Halo vibe

There is an XP system in Toxikk, but this system, and the ranks associated with it, are used for reputation and matchmaking purposes only. Toxikk will also include an offline bot mode for players who would like to hone their skills before going head-to-head against live opponents on the battlefield.

Toxikk is a paid game, and you can pre-purchase a copy today from Reakktor for $15. Though free-to-play is a rising trend on PC, Reakktor wants nothing to do with this business model.

"We believe that classic arena FPS and free-to-play don't go well together," Reakktor says. "A true arena FPS requires all player characters to have equal stats and the availability of all weapons to everyone. Always! The skill of a player should be the only deciding factor about victory or defeat. Allowing players to buy different (i.e. better) weapons or to permanently boost their stats does totally contradict the idea of classic arena FPS gaming in our opinion."

Toxikk will have two kinds of maps: Classic Maps and Massive Maps. Classic Maps will feature fast-paced gameplay and are described as medium-sized environments for up to eight players. Massive Maps, on the other hand, will require more strategic gameplay on larger-sized locales for up to 16 players. There will also be various vehicles like gliders and hoverbikes exclusively on Massive Maps.

Another component of Toxikk will be user-generated content. All players can apply for a free software development kit (SDK) that will allow them to build their own maps, characters, and skins for the game. Reakktor will eventually launch a "hub" for users to submit their own content, which can then be voted on. All user-generated content will be offered for free.

"We believe that classic arena FPS and free-to-play don't go well together" -- Reakktor

Could Toxikk come to consoles some day? Reakktor hasn't ruled it out, but it doesn't sound likely. "We believe that shooters are meant to be played with mouse and keyboard," the developer said. "That's why Toxikk is exclusively designed for PC. At this point, we do not intend to port the game to any other platform."

Reakktor is launching Toxikk all on its own, without a publisher. According to Reakktor, that means it does not have access to a marketing team to help promote the game. The developer hopes that fans will spread the word about Toxikk to make the game a success.

Reakktor says the core experience for Toxikk is "pretty much finished," and the studio is now working on more multiplayer maps and fine-tuning player movement within the game. The developer is also looking for fan feedback, and encourages you to submit your ideas and opinions through the game's official forums, where you can talk directly to developers.

Toxikk is in development exclusively for PC and should launch on Steam as an Early Access title later this year.

*source

Cazzeris

That game will also beat Epic's Unreal Tournament.

Probably.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, looks glorious. It'll be interesting if this winds up competing with the new UT.

Kahlis

Cipher
Looks cool. But I always figured the reason that these new arena shooters never took off was because the people dedicated to playing/modding those kinds of games were still so steadfastly accustomed to the older ones. What is the point of a Doom 4 when everybody will just keep making WADs for Doom/ZDoom for the rest of eternity? It's just an exercise in self-indulgent developer IP masturbation "let's see how much we can get away with while still making it seem like we kind of knew the old game was a thing uhuhuhu." I mean I'm still used to playing my Goldsrc games with a certain mouse sensitivity at 800x600 windowed and newer things just never quite clicked with me.

But I mean, this is a high production effort. Also, from their website:

All registered players can apply for a FREE SDK to build own maps, characters and skins etc. for TOXIKK. We will put up a web page as a central hub for user generated content on TOXIKK.com. Players may vote user-generated content to be made available through this hub. All content on this hub will be offered free of charge. The whole process will be handled through our forums.
Might be really fun to get into if the maps aren't too model based (looks like interiors are still mostly brushes). Always felt bad growing up and playing through all those great Quake/HL/TFC maps and yet on some level I knew that those halcyon days were over and that I never could have been part of the legacy. So I spent years making maps in Hammer that never got done and I finally reached this plateau where I have a kind of zenlike impartiality and appreciation that only came through years of fucking around just in time for the communities around those games/the games themselves to become shit. :salute:

But then again, I might just be at that point in my life where I don't really care about going all-in with games and communities anymore. (Well I mean...) So it's easier to just keep playing Quake and not have to think about anything. I suppose even I've become declined and lost some of the neuroplasticity since those days.

Does anybody else feel like the setting/marketing is being overly edgy and pandering though? I mean, even that name.

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
This looks way better than the majority of upcoming first person shooters. But I gotta say, the "taking the arena FPS genre back to its roots" with vehicles behind made me laugh.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Yeah the marketing nonsense really annoys me.

This game also has way too much shitty sfx for what is supposed to be an "old-school" competitive FPS.

It also has that idiotic "hit from that location" BS and a scoring (XP?) system and vehicles. This will probably end up in the same category as RoTT 2013 and Shadow Warrior 2013. But who knows it might actually turn out alright.

http://toxikk.com/screenshots/

Last edited:

Kahlis

Cipher
This game also has way too much shitty sfx for what is supposed to be an "old-school" competitive FPS.
I guess by making it look AAA they think they'll convince newer players who wouldn't play a game like that anyway that they actually have some business doing so. These are the same people who say that Fallout 1 is inaccessible because it's 2D. But all of those high poly, beveled models are way too visually noisy to concentrate on. Let alone all of that immersive shader stuff that's just too whimsical and too many degrees removed from the focus of the game.
qrack088.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Too much SFX?

Seriously?

This is just about the only instance where saying "this isn't 1997 anymore" is a valid reply.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I wonder if this is going to end up like another game made a few years ago called Nexuiz,the only difference is that they do use vehicles which reminds me of UT. I am not sure if this title will be successful if you don't incorporate successful elements like chest high walls, leveling, kill streaks that lets u drop asteroids, prestige mode, perks, and etc. Should they have went f2p instead?

Also I am not sure how this ended up being it's own thread as I thought it was in Cliffy B's thread.

Kahlis

Cipher
Doesn't Nexuiz use the DarkPlaces engine? I almost feel like the less superfluous you are with shiny new tech, the less people will notice your game. That vaguely open source/total conversion feel weirds some people out. It's almost as if they want to indiscriminately shell out $60 for every untried 8 hours' promise of gameplay. Everything else doesn't feel authoritative to them.

pingus-screen_0.6.0-3.jpg

Astral Rag

Arcane
this isn't 1997 anymore

Why do you lie? *Looks at calender* Oh fuck..

But seriously I love great visuals, I always played and play Q3 and UT on the highest settings :cool: but common:

ScreenShot00374.jpg

ScreenShot00152.jpg

Maybe this bloom and blur can be toned down or turned off but this is how they choose to represent their awesome back to the roots FPS...and that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in their ability to make a proper "old-school" FPS.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Maybe this bloom and blur can be toned down or turned off but this is how they choose to represent their awesome back to the roots FPS...

Pretty graphixxx and effects are irrelevant to a game's status as "back to the roots". This isn't meant to be some sort of retro whatever with pixel graphics, so expecting it to look that way is just retarded. Besides, it's not like those old shooters, even the multiplayer-popular ones, were holding back on tech. "OMG DAT QUAKE IN FULL 3D!", "OMG THEM GRAPHIX IN UT!"

Astral Rag

Arcane
I'm not expecting pixel graphics, in fact I despise 99% of the games that come out of the current "retro" indie fad. I'm just trying to say that I think it's absurd to put these effects in a game that is being presented as a return to the old-school ( "Frag like it's 1999" ).

Again I love pretty graphics, I hate effects that handicap the player. Gameplay before graphics, especially in skill-based games. Imagine trying to play UT or Q3 with added excessive blur and excessive bloom.

Last edited:

Dr Tomo

Learned
Also I am not sure how this ended up being it's own thread as I thought it was in Cliffy B's thread.

Every post you make,
every thread derailed,
we'll be watching you.
I will keep that in mind.

Doesn't Nexuiz use the DarkPlaces engine? I almost feel like the less superfluous you are with shiny new tech, the less people will notice your game. That vaguely open source/total conversion feel weirds some people out. It's almost as if they want to indiscriminately shell out $60 for every untried 8 hours' promise of gameplay. Everything else doesn't feel authoritative to them.

Not sure what engine Nexuiz uses, but I do know that it played kind of like UT 3 and then it died off after the hype for some reason. The game suffered a low population and by the time I played which was during a free weekend it had a small surge of players. The demise of THQ killed this title for good since now the servers had their plug pulled with what ever assets THQ had left. I see that many people seemed pleased or possibly hyped over this title, I believe this title is going the way of Nexuiz and other arena shooters as I don't see how many people now would be remotely interested in playing Toxikk over BF 4 or the latest CoD or even Titanfall. Maybe f2p is the only way arena type shooters can become viable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom