Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Transistor - sci-fi action-RPG from the makers of Bastion

Kirtai

Augur
Exactly :)
It rather reminds me of a short story I read where the heroines awesome magic sword was infused with all the might, powers and attributes, of a rabbit.

Note that in both cases they actually worked fine with the tones of the stories. That didn't make them any less silly on first encounter.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
water flows, flow of moves/battle.. don't see why it's not a good name for a sword, especially when it's green water and not fresh water. irving would be a nice name for a pirate's sword.
transistor on the other hand is simply terrible.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Exactly :)
It rather reminds me of a short story I read where the heroines awesome magic sword was infused with all the might, powers and attributes, of a rabbit.

Note that in both cases they actually worked fine with the tones of the stories. That didn't make them any less silly on first encounter.
Sounds like Piers Anthony to me.

For me Irving evokes a Tolkien parody, something like: "A little known fact - Orcrist and Glamdring had two retarded brothers, Irving and Bob."

Kirtai

Augur
Sounds like Piers Anthony to me.
I think the rabbit sword was in a short story in one of the Sword and Sorceress anthologies by Marion Zimmer Bradley so probably not. Joe and Irving were in a Jack Chalker book if I remember right.
For me Irving evokes a Tolkien parody, something like: "A little known fact - Orcrist and Glamdring had two retarded brothers, Irving and Bob."
Precisely :)

Borelli

Arcane
Wait so you HAVE to use the timestop feature? You can't just attack like that? Man that's ... so not-actiony:(. Not what i expected from Bastion's team. So i guess it's closer to RPG now because pressing a button to pause the game and letting you character do everything for you is what games like F3 and Vagrant Story have.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bastion is horribly overrated. Couldn't even bring myself to finish it despite it only being about six or so hours long. Plays more like an SNES-type platformer than an arpg.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Bastion is horribly overrated. Couldn't even bring myself to finish it despite it only being about six or so hours long. Plays more like an SNES-type platformer than an arpg.

I hated that game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, bastion got boring really fast and is horribly overrated. kinda hoping this will be different, 'cos that power combination thingy looks sweet.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SNES platformers were actually good though.

The only cool thing was the dynamic narration.

Gozma

Arcane
Other embarassing sword names: every named sword out there, pretty much. Seriously, outside of actual legendary shit like Excalibur, it's just cheesy bullshit.

My favorite tidbit is old-school Japanese westaboos that played Wizardry thinking "Cuisinart" was a bad as fuck name for a legendary sword

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And I wanted to like Bastion, too. Followed it's development for a couple of years. By the time I got it... WTF is this shit?! Will this be better? Who knows, but I'm not hopeful given their last game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Didn't you hear? RPG these days means a game where you play a role! So naturally that encompasses everything. /sarc
If you can make choices through your character that affect the narrative it's role playing. I have no idea, I'm barely following this.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
It just looks like an action/adventure game. There's not even an NPC to talk to, from what I've seen.

Xenich

Cipher
Didn't you hear? RPG these days means a game where you play a role! So naturally that encompasses everything. /sarc
If you can make choices through your character that affect the narrative it's role playing. I have no idea, I'm barely following this.

So is play acting in the park, but calling it playing an RPG would be missing the point.

Wasteland 2
Looks like VATS on overdrive. Within a single round player can traverse battlefield back and forth, throwing three speciall attacks on the way, while enemies stand defenseless.
Then switch to realtime and run circles for few seconds until action points regenerate, then repeat. A turn based game where enemies won't take their turns to fight back - innovashun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom