Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Crooked Bee

will do!

i just get excited cos i don't have any other ppl to share this with :)

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
aweigh
I believe the spoiler button would be excellent for the kind of postings you did!
Here is a small "how to do":
lPUn4Tc.jpg

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Here is a patch for The Wild Rings on Xbox which translates the majority of the game including the player rosters.

There are still a few things left untranslated unfortunately due to compression and also the fact words are saved as graphics inaccessible but you should be able to navigate through the game for the most part a lot better than before. We hope you enjoy this release!

To setup just replace your original default.xbe and aikoh.arc files with the ones included with this compressed RAR.

Also included is a file which adds some known wrestlers and has most of the rest translated. If you wish to use it, it will need to be copied in the game’s specific UDATA directory where it’s saves are located.

Hacked by MrRichard999
Translated by Helly & Jink640

Don’t forget to backup your original files just in case!

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2673/

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I thought Arcturus was Falcom? https://www.falcom.co.jp/arc/

Or are they just publishing?
They localized the game in Japanese and published it, but it was originally made by Gravity before their success with Ragnarok. It's the same engine and if you've played some RO you'll probably recognize some assets :)

I know nothing about Ragnarok except Ragnarok Tactics. Is that a good thing?
Ragnarok Online is a grindy korean isometric mmo that I used to like because, well, I love JRPGs and isometric RPGs. It does have p.cool graphics but the game itself was really really too grindy. Playing on private server with 100000xExp made it worthwhile though.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Policenauts Sega Saturn got translated: http://policenauts.net/english/patches.html

Not sure what's the difference with the PSX version though.

According to Hardcore Gaming 101:
There are slight differences between the console versions. The first was the 3DO version, oddly enough, which used some crappy compression for the video cutscenes. (There's also a promotional retail release called Policenauts Pilot Disc, which has a short demo along with tons of artwork and storyboards, documentation from the designers, and a full database containing a glossary of all important terms. (This is fully translated online at Policenauts.net.) The second release was the PlayStation version, which has the best looking videos, but these only run at a rather choppy 15 FPS. A supplementary release called the Policenauts Private Collection was later released, which includes nearly all of the goodies from the Pilot Disc, plus the script and storyboard. Since the Pilot Disc was meant to be a demo it dances around spoilers but the Private Collection has no problem revealing the entire game. The Saturn version is the final release, and comes in a 3 CD package with a hardcover art booklet. The video looks slightly worse than the PlayStation version, but it's also a bit smoother. It also contains a few extra scenes and slightly modified story elements, making it the most comprehensive of the console releases, as well as light gun support for the shooting segments. It also has most of the goodies from the Private Collection, including the ability to look up any term in the glossary via hyperlinks in the in-game text.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That's great and all but according to the readme,

- Additional "breast bouncing" interactions and uncensored bouncing. (Sony censored the PlayStation version by having the bouncing animation toned down.)

That settles it. Saturn emulation it is.

Let's hope more pantie-sniffing sequences have also been added. Kojima's storytelling never fails to engage the player.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It reminds me of a cooler sci-fi version of Legend of Legaia. Is it just 1v1 or does the scale get bigger?

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm still hoping for a Cyber Doll translation... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHmh8OXU7OE MrRichard999

Holy shit that looks fucking awesome.

Don't get too excited about that one... I doubt that anyone would make a font table for all those large letters anytime soon... It was one of the painstaking steps that luckily someone was able to do when starting the Wizardrt IV project. There could be also compression and ASM weird stuff going on also...

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
I'm still hoping for a Cyber Doll translation... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHmh8OXU7OE MrRichard999

Holy shit that looks fucking awesome.

Don't get too excited about that one... I doubt that anyone would make a font table for all those large letters anytime soon... It was one of the painstaking steps that luckily someone was able to do when starting the Wizardry IV project. There could be also compression and ASM weird stuff going on also...

Sorry for being negative but its hard stuff here... This requires advanced know-how people who know how to use debuggers and stuff...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
MrRichard999 Jinn

a prime example of when the sad reality that to fan-translate you not only need (or should be) fluent in the language, but also a way above-average reverse engineer aficionado; a decent and competent scripter (and wouldn't hurt also knowing how to code, for when programming that text-extraction-insertion-tool for that 1 game you're working on ! hah).

and if you want to replace "graphics" (textures for menus, etc, and goes up from there) then tack on knowledge of image editing and waaay more than "basic" usage of Photoshop (or GIMP, i suppose), because believe me the rigomarole involved in first reverse engineering a way to extract an art asset from a locked-down video game file archive and then having to find a way to somehow convert the game's retarded propietary "extensions", such as Sony's INFAMOUS usage of .gim and .mig for art assets (THEY'RE RE-BRANDED FUCKING PNGS!!!! OMGGG)...

...then once you have them in .png (or whatever) here comes that graphics knowledge in order to do whatever the hell it is you were gonna do to the art asset and then you have to figure out how to RE-INSERT the asset into the file archive/container and then, hopefully, you already have a tool someone else made that's made specifically for rebuilding the .ISO/.ROM/ your fucking waste of a life.

even editing text you end up having to learn a ton about how video games "handle fonts", how a font is created, what motherfucking GLYPHS are, GLYPHS PEOPLE, GLYPHS!, and it's not too shabby if also some knowledge of how the system you're rom-hacking at the moment handles functions such as whether it Draws from a font table and whether it utilizes triangles or rectangle prims when calling letters and, the worst of all (!), finding out days into hacking said game that the fucking thing has like 5 routine layers all for the purpose of having the game always spit out CANNED TEXT in the form of LETTER-TEXTURES AAAARGH OMG ARGJH

and, lastly, never forget, Jinn, the fan translator will always be alone. always. and i don't mean in the translating, it is a given no group of ppl like the game(s) you like enough to help translate it; i merely want to remind the cosmic truth :)

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Honestly if I were to ever take on a project that uses double hex value font it would be Majin Tensei II. Every project I work on either uses Single-Hex value text or uses the default Shift-JIS as you can relatively search for stuff or its already in the standard format. I did take a quick look at Cyber Doll and I think I see items and single word stuff but no dialogue... Good chance there is compression involved in that.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that's what i was trying to remember! the MDA (?) and DTA's (?), or was it MDT's?

that's why I've been saying that elminage 2's psp text script is "horrendously formatted", it's just that i had completely forgotten about that basic lesson!

it uses tons of shit like EVERY TIME A CHARACTER/NPC BEGINS DIALOG THEIR NAME IS ALSO LIKE 50 DIFFERENT OTHER OPERATIONS/CONTROL CHARACTERS/SCRIPT SHIT

and the shenanigans continues in the dialog. The bits I've translated what i've done is i have begun making a completely seperate document that is basically my version of the elminage 2 NPC dialog script (which is gigantic) and going through piece of dialog-box by dialog-box and extrapolating the important kanjis and leaving out the ascii shit and then basically cleaning it up and copy/pasting the relevant kanji/katakana/hiragana on my seperate document.

THEN, _that_ seperate document is the one I eventually utilize as the base from which to begin translating the kanji and the caracters via several methos but primarily via an electronic japanese word processor. (google is atrocious: anything more complicated than a literal or phonetic spelling or something romaji and google just breaks its brain).

obviously question is why am i doing this rite... cos i love the game(s) and i want them in english, someday, but i have finally legitiamtely come to realize that when ppl on romhacking net told me i was going about things in a hard-headed, needlessly convuleted way... i finally understand where they were coming from.

Richard, do you still use Windhex?

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
I use it all the time. I wish the guy would release the source-code so it could be built on and improved!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom