Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Been playing The Great Ace Attourney. Started out the last chapter, I'd say the game is above average in the series. Real shame it and the sequel never got official English releases.

Endemic

Arcane
To give you an idea of the work involved in a translation project, this is Berwick Saga's script extracted from the iso:

EpL8gQU.png

(227 files totaling 5MB of text)

spekkio

Arcane
Info on Fire Emblem 5 (?).

On May 14 Cirosan wrote:

Script insertion is complete, and the game's dialogue, closing text crawl, and character epilogues are now fully translated (you can see the scripts in the discord server, by the way). However, I've agreed to briefly delay releasing so our hacking team can complete additional technical elements, like implementing a new menu font that's much easier to read, inserting a new, edited world map, and a few other things. The finished Project Exile patch will be released by or before the end of this month.

:incline:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Holy cow, not only slowbeef&co pulled their collective thumbs out of their asses (not sure how much this is based on his work but readme gives him thanks), there's even a DOSBox fork that supports PC98 titles! A year ago I've stumbled on his disassembly streams of 2015 and was hoping that he would continue the work but the dude just letsplays now.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Holy cow, not only slowbeef&co pulled their collective thumbs out of their asses (not sure how much this is based on his work but readme gives him thanks), there's even a DOSBox fork that supports PC98 titles! A year ago I've stumbled on his disassembly streams of 2015 and was hoping that he would continue the work but the dude just letsplays now.
If we're talking about the same slowbeef, I wouldn't count on anything useful from him or his cadres ever again.

flyingjohn

Arcane
What kind of a rom file does the patcher even accept?
I tried three different versions and all have wrong checksum.And these aren't the usual pirate shit.
edit:Tried 50 different variations of thracia,none of them match.I guess there is one good version out there.
edit2:check post below for more information.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
My old (modified 2004) rom from Planet Emulation (may it r.i.p. in peace) works "fine".

Make sure your ROM is headerless:

SUp31fz.png

Plus, patched game doesn't work with bsnes cores at all, even when using attached .xml file (I don't know if RA cores support these, bsnes is supposed to). Snes9x core works fine.

flyingjohn

Arcane
My old (modified 2004) rom from Planet Emulation (may it r.i.p. in peace) works "fine".

SUp31fz.png

Plus, patched game doesn't work with bsnes cores at all, even when using attached .xml file (I don't know if RA cores support these, bsnes is supposed to). Snes9x core works fine.
It seems my problem was i was looking at the checksum too much.
I just tried patching one my roms and it worked even though it was the wrong checksum.So for anybody wondering,just try patching regardless of checksum.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

SUp31fz.png

That's actually not good, that it's emulator-specific. It means it prolly won't work on real hardware and absolutely will go down with the SNES9x ship, a la ZSNES-only hacks that have been lost to time. They should remedy this in a followup patch.

Duraframe300

Arcane
That's actually not good, that it's emulator-specific. It means it prolly won't work on real hardware and absolutely will go down with the SNES9x ship, a la ZSNES-only hacks that have been lost to time. They should remedy this in a followup patch.

That doesn't even make sense as current snes9x is already nearly as accurate as bsnes. It shouldn't work on Snes9x either.

Edit: Nope. Doesn't work. Wonder what the difference is that it only works on Snes9x. I'm personally surprised since Snes9x usually puts out the same errors now as bsnes if you give it a badly patched rom.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Besides muh-pixel to pixel accuracy is there a reason not to use ZSNES?

I guess I played mostly TB RPG in windowed resolution so I don't really know the big fuss with "muh accuracy"

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sure, some games don't work in ZSNES or very glitchy and there are no shaders available

Duraframe300

Arcane
That doesn't even make sense as current snes9x is already nearly as accurate as bsnes.
Not hardly. SNES9x could not get away with its noticeably lower system requirements if that were the case.
It is. Mainly because quite a few parts of current Snes9x are taken from bsnes directly.
Curtesy of Byuu himself who contributed/contributes to Snes9x as an alternative for lower requirements/more experimental options.

As far as compatibility goes Snes9x is currently as compatible as bsnes performance? I think.

Edit: Checked, has compatibality issues with 8 games according to a comparison I found. Same as bsnes performance. Worse than bsnes balanced, which has 1.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
There's actually some stuff in the zip to make it work with bsnes. It's literally just the following it an XML file
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<cartridge region='NTSC'>
  <rom name="FE5ProjectExile.sfc">
    <map mode='linear' address='00-7d:8000-ffff' offset='0x400000'/>
    <map mode='linear' address='80-ff:8000-ffff' offset='0x000000'/>
  </rom>
  <ram size='0x8000'>
    <map mode='linear' address='20-3f:6000-7fff'/>
    <map mode='linear' address='a0-bf:6000-7fff'/>
    <map mode='linear' address='70-7f:0000-7fff'/>
  </ram>
</cartridge>
It looks like its just overwriting autodetect from bsnes, but I've got no experience with that emulator to know for sure.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
If we're talking about the same slowbeef, I wouldn't count on anything useful from him or his cadres ever again.

The one who did Policenauts, what's up with him? I'm not into the translator scene, only know stuff from his point of view.

spekkio

Arcane
There's actually some stuff in the zip to make it work with bsnes. It's literally just the following it an XML file
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<cartridge region='NTSC'>
  <rom name="FE5ProjectExile.sfc">
    <map mode='linear' address='00-7d:8000-ffff' offset='0x400000'/>
    <map mode='linear' address='80-ff:8000-ffff' offset='0x000000'/>
  </rom>
  <ram size='0x8000'>
    <map mode='linear' address='20-3f:6000-7fff'/>
    <map mode='linear' address='a0-bf:6000-7fff'/>
    <map mode='linear' address='70-7f:0000-7fff'/>
  </ram>
</cartridge>
It looks like its just overwriting autodetect from bsnes, but I've got no experience with that emulator to know for sure.
Doesn't work in RA. Tested on bsnes-balanced & bsnes-mercury-balanced. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom