Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"...the most majestic RPG ever made."

That's cheating actually, since it was a real phrase that really triggered the Codex when it appeared. Spawned many a meme and broke Grunker for about a month.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RPGs are games where you play a role. Doom and Halo are RPGs because you play the role of Doomguy and Master Chief, respectively.

RPGs are mainly about the story. Those dungeon crawlers of old aren't real RPGs because there is too little, if any, character interaction.

Stats shouldn't be important in an RPG. Focusing on numbers rather than the storytelling experience just detracts from the game and makes it an exercise in number crunching. Statless systems are always preferable.

Turn based combat and stat-dependent gameplay have been turned obsolete by the progress of technology. They are a relic of the pen and paper days, and of computer games of old back when 1 MB was considered a large file size. Nowadays, with the possibility of sophisticated simulation, character stats are nothing but an obsolete relic of the past, ready to be replaced by something more immersive.

RPGs, to me, are about riding around, killing things.

It's called role-playing, not roll playing. Diceless systems are much better than the gambling simulator that is D&D.

Old RPGs of the early 90s are archaic and have nothing of value left in this day and age. They have been surpassed in every way, and there is no reason to play these old games anymore as there are better alternatives around.

Final Fantasy VII is the best RPG ever.

naossano

Cipher
(insert the name of your favorite rpg) is pure garbage. I don't get why it is even mentioned on the codex.

You spent x hours playing that shit. Don't tell me you didn't like it.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Thief 2014, like reboots in general, is much better than the original games.

First of all, if video games want to grow as a medium and be recognized as art, they have to convey emotion. How could the original do this when it doesn't even have real cutscenes but a bunch of still images? I though we had real time videos over 100 years ago. Second, no offence to Stephen Russell but his Garret performance sucked. It's flat and doesn't have any of the emotion and depth that the new Thief was able to achieve through comprehensive performance where the same actor did the voice and motion capture. Third, the new Thief solidifies its emotional and mature story and narrative through plentiful character interaction which the originals lacked. Garret has a companion, Erin, who he, like the player, bonds with. It's an interesting and complex tale of friendship, love and master-apprentice relationship, combining three major themes into one.

As for gameplay itself, overcompensating size of the levels isn't deep, interesting or good. It's like the level designers couldn't make a quality level so they just made everything as big and complex as possible just to hide it: quantity over quality. Smart people have a saying called "sometimes less is more". Also, it's basically a cheat to bypass guards through some alternate hidden path you found, so I don't know why these so-called old school hardcore gamers are always saying that modern games are too simple and easy. New Thief provides genuine stealth challenges with no cheat routes and has predefined rope arrow spots so the player can't exploit the game by shooting said arrows everywhere to take advantage of level designers' oversights.

Oh, and pulling random words like "taffer" out of your ass doesn't make your game more creative. Using real-life words like 'fuck' and 'cock ring' is much more honest and relatable for gamers because, guess what, we live in the real world. I think it's time you guys finally throw your nostalgia glasses to the garbage bin. It's not 1999 anymore.

pippin

Look, Chris Avellone is playing golf. That is a proof that he hates Joshua Sawyer and Feargus Urquhart.

well-well-well-donald-trump-drinking-water-adolf-hitler.jpg

naossano

Cipher
Diablo-like don't deserve to be mentioned on the codex.
or
Diablo-like actually are RPG.

That RPG breaks your freedom and immersion. You can't choose to be the leader of both the main factions. The game forces you to take only one side and lock your from the content of the other side. I wouldn't call it a choice.

The modders will finally get paid for their work. (after the publisher and steam took 95% of the money, from content they didn't make)

You don't actually like rpg. You are just a (story-stat-combat-system- you name it)fag.

Nice review attempt. When do we get the honest one ?

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
Josh Sawyer is actually quite inteligent, a genius of gigantic mind.
Not some insecure pretentious hipster desperately trying to sound smart all the time while saying nothing.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I'm thinking of buying FO3 Game of the Year Edition. Bethesda could always use a few more bucks.

naossano

Cipher
* -We are proudly introducing our new rpg project inspired by Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Arcanum, that is also open to newcomers, push the challenge, the choice and consequences to new areas never explored before. For only 80 dollars, you will be able to play the tech demo two weeks before everyone else. (don't worry, the animations for opening doors should be released soon)*

By some weird company name we never heard before and will most likely never hear again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom