Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Telengard

Arcane
Tough crowd, but one of these has to trigger someone.

Your entire hobby is the invention of California libruls.

Iraeneus is as white as snow in deep winter.

HHR is the straightest son of a bitch I've ever seen.

All of you are bro fist mongering fags with no exceptions.

The real joke isn't that Grimoire is going to be released, it's that its going to be crowdfunding level shlock like PoE 1.0 or Wasteland 2 Pre-Director's Cut. You spent 20 years arguing over a game you're all going to quit after three hours.

The best RPG is in fact the Green Day song, "Minority."
Dig deeper. Mine the pain of the Codex, and not the silly in-jokes.

By the designer's own words, Baldur's Gate was built to be a simplified version of D&D. And then, after playtesting, they dumbed the combat way down from its already dumbed down beginnings. Which is why the Codex loves the combat of Baldur's Gate so much - it's right in that sweet-spot where they like it, completely dumbed down and with lots of splashy effects so that they can pretend to themselves it isn't.

There's three things Pillars of Eternity was missing which would otherwise have caused Codex to vote it Bestast Gaem EVAH! - a robust dress-up wardrobe, chainmail bikinis, and high-grade hair physics. Gameplay? *snort* Don't make me laugh. There's a reason Codexers put 500 hours into Fallout IV, and it ain't the gameplay.

Given that the amount of hours spent in a game is used by the industry as one of the prime indicators of what type of games to make more of, and given that detailed tracking information is now readily available to companies via the Steam DRM, then how much support did you give to Bethesda and the making of Fallout V, not to mention to the making of various clones that will attempt to replicate its high player-hours record? ...500. That much, huh? Shameful.

Deciding if bombing or not Megaton in fallout 3 is the hardest and most thought-provoking choice any of us players will ever face during our whole playing career.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Gold Box games are the most overrated RPGs of all time and Skyrim should have taken their place if the Top 70 cRPGs list wasn't a popularity contest.

TC Jr

Scholar
Fallout 4 has had thee best intro to an RPG game to date, never before have we seen what is was like before the bombs dropped, and as serious as it is, Bethesda manage to carefully insert arguably one of the funniest companions we've had the pleasure of being introduced to, Mr. Codsworth.

First proper RPG I've played, looking forward to trying the older games! Heard the 3rd has Liam neeson.. so much awesomeness xD

Microtransactions are actually pretty good way to allow busy people to play the game without having to grind for stuff.

Crpg is a dead genre.

If turn based was better than real time then first person shooter games would be turn based.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Superior graphics made for timeless masterpieces in the JRPG genre. If western RPGs had been developed for japanese PCs, we would have the ultimately roleplaying games.

hellbent

Augur
Underrail needs maps and fast travel.
Slightly triggered, because I actually agree with the former but not the latter and it pisses me off that you bundled them as if they're similarly absurd.

Hey, I'll take half-triggered as a win for the purposes of this thread, I'm not choosy. Maybe I'll just get a participation award. :M

The maps statement I made is pretty self-explanatory. Even then, I'd state that in line with some of the ideas posted on the lengthy Underrail thread, that an in-game map that details EVERYTHING is really not the need. I'd like it if one could purchase maps in-game that contained crude and sometimes incomplete details about certain areas. You could even make some maps less accurate depending on the source, and even intentionally deceptive so as to lead the player character into a trap.

Fast travel has the obvious correlation with the Elder Scrolls games, but in my mind, I was thinking of more of a limited system that can be used to reduce coming into contact with constantly respawning enemies. Without being spoiler-y for those who have not yet played Underrail, there are some areas where you would NOT want to allow any fast travel as it would break the balance of the game. I would just like some method for evading tedious, repetitive combat while still being able to explore and re-explore locations. A limited fast travel system would work in my opinion, as would a combination of tuning respawn rates and locations as well as potentially increasing walk speeds in areas where there are no potential encounters or areas of note.

Exploration is Underrail's greatest strength, so I understand a lot of the reticence to employing systems that could have a negative impact on that. But, Styg has been great at implementing changes over the course of development, and I'm hopeful there will be some QoL enhancements in the DLC.

eXalted

Arcane
Roguelikes have the best resource management mechanics. Don't tell me how your RPG have such thing.

laclongquan

Arcane
Russian developers will save your saviour.

This time OwlCat will take MCA back to the peak, where they promise half of the wordly fame for his soul.

And MCA will sign on the spot, because writing is a cruel business.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
8ug40Ul.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom