Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Lurker47

Savant
Remember when Fallout 3 won an award for "Best Writing"?

Cael

Arcane
To make up for the fanrage that is FO4 and TE5, Bethesda has announced that they will make it up to fans with a totally revamped FO5.

STARRING:
MV5BMTg3ODUwNzUxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzU4NDYyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

With an OST comprising of:

Bethesda has assured fans that it will be their best effort yet at giving them what they want: humour, class, fan service, and purposeful limbic locomotion.

Stay tuned, as Bethesda signed off with this (mildly NSFW):
stock-photo-very-sexy-young-police-woman-with-a-pistol-conveying-a-very-definite-message-of-being-f-cked-one-6678049.jpg

That is all.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's not exactly a statement but if you want to be triggered I recommend reading Fallout reviews on Steam. These are most recent negative reviews written in English, I'm sure if I would dig a bit more I would find even more hilarious ones:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Okagetadaka/recommended/38400/
#1 said:
I personally don't enjoy it as I just found it boring but if you are a die hard Fallout fan go for it. I am just giving it a no as I don't find it enjoyable.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/IncursuTerrent/recommended/38400/
#2 said:
Instructions for the new and classic editions would be nice :( 1 minute and ended up on a map.
Another minute in 'Kill Radscorpions'
3rd Minute: Death by radscorpion.
Where was Nick Valentine when I needed him?
And this one takes the cake: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198073546941/recommended/38400/
#3 said:
I would not recommend this game to anyone. If you particularly enjoy the Fallout lore, you might enjoy this game, but even then you’d probably get more entertainment reading up on the content of this game from the wiki.
Pros:
If you’ve played a Fallout game before, it’s interesting seeing the origins of stuff, like where the super mutants come from and the first interactions with the Brotherhood of Steel.

Some of the death animations are really cool. The animations for getting a critical plasma kill are better in this game than in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

That’s all I can think of.

Cons:
The UI is crap, the isometric view is implemented poorly, and the way that your character appears on the screen interferes with your ability to play the game. If you are directly behind a wall or door (so that the door is between your character and the camera), the area that would block your view disappears so that you can still see your character. Fine, but you need to click on doors to open them, and if you are directly behind a door, you won’t be able to see the door to click on it, and the game is very finicky about which part of a door you can click to open it. Actually, the game is quite finicky about where you can click pretty much everything, including menu buttons.

The controls are annoying and unintuitive. Left click does every action and interaction (including movement), right click changes the type of action you’ll be doing with your left click. It doesn’t sound too bad, but your character can’t interpret any commands that require more than one action, so if you click to move to the other side of an unlocked door, your character will freeze and say they cannot get there. Left clicking directly on the door while in move mode doesn’t do anything. You have to right click to change to interact mode, left click the door to open it, right click to change back to move mode, then click to move past the door. If you are in one of the several places in the game where doors automatically close after a couple of seconds, you may need to repeat the process several times per door when your companions block you from moving, or the game decides that you can’t stand on that particular empty hex (it seems to have a problem with hexes that are too close to doorways and walls). If the door is locked, you have to click the skills list at the bottom of the UI, click lockpicking, click the door (making sure to move your character to a position where you can see the damn door), right click to change to interact mode, left click the door to open it, right click to change back to move mode, then left click to move past.

There are also frequent moments in the game when you can (or have to) use your skills on objects (such as the lockpicking skill on a door), and you’ll struggle to because your character is in the way, and repeatedly moving your character so that you can try and use the skill again gets old fast.

The skills are ridiculously unbalanced and poorly implemented. There are 18 skills, and most of them are useless. Speech is hands-down the best non-combat skill, and you’ll use it consistently throughout the game. Lockpick is almost as useful, then there are 1 or 2 skills that you might use once or twice, and everything else is worthless. I did one playthrough (of 35 hours), and I never figured out what the Outdoorsman skill did. The Gambling skill has no value for anything to do with the main game, and even for doing actual gambling you can ignore it if you have a high Luck stat. The First Aid skill seems to work equally as well (i.e., barely does anything) whether you have 30% or 90%. Talking of First Aid, your on-use skills, including First Aid, are activated from a skills menu, but using First Aid (and presumably Doctor, but at no point did I have to use Doctor in my playthrough) from that menu has a 0% chance of doing any healing, because you have to use a first aid kit when doing First Aid, but apparently your character doesn’t know this, because they won’t use a first aid kit that is in their inventory if you tell them to use First Aid from the skills menu. They’ll still attempt to do first aid, and time will still pass, but you’ll always get the message “you failed to do any healing”.

There are 5 types of weapon (with a related skill to determine your effectiveness), but Energy Weapons are objectively better than all of the others so there’s no point in using anything else as soon as you get an energy weapon.

The inventory system is horrible. You can’t tell what anything does or often even see what it’s called unless it’s actually in your inventory (so deciding whether you want to drop things so that you can pick up something you’ve found is a pain), and even then a lot of the descriptions are vague at best. Some things need to be in one of your two item slots in order to use them, some don’t, and it’s not clear until you test each individual thing which of those two categories anything is.

You can’t move money in increments larger than $999, and after you leave the second area, practically everything costs more than that. You don’t know tedium until you’ve payed for $120,000 worth of gear in increments of $999.

Companions are only useful to carry your stuff and because of the crappy inventory system they’re not even very good at that. They're complete morons - they'll wander in a small area around you, but they'll still do this even if they've detected a trap in the area and happily blow themselves up on landmines that they've spotted. They also constantly get in your way, and you can't move them out of way by any means apart from waiting for them to start wandering or killing them. They start out somewhere between weak-and-useless and subpar-and-useless, and seeing as they can’t level up or wear armour they don’t really get any better. You can give them other weapons, but only if they know how to use them, and none of them can use Energy Weapons, so there’s little point. Towards the endgame they’ll die in one hit from most enemies and barely scratch them in return.

TL;DR: Overall, this game was a huge disappointment. I love the Fallout universe, I love CRPGs, I’m fine with old games, but this just doesn’t hold up in any respect. If you’re interested in the lore, read the wiki. If you want to play a good CRPG, play Baldur’s Gate. This game isn’t worth your time.

Morkar Left

Remember when Fallout 3 won an award for "Best Writing"?

And it's fully deserved. It really pushed the boundaries in video game writing at its time. But it's not only restricted to videogames. Even as a movie script it could easily win at least one oscar. But that was still a small lookout of what Bethesda can really pull off as we have seen years later in F4. Easily the best writers in the whole industry! (The crappy writing in Fallout New Vegas doesn't count. It wasn't made by Bethesda!)

Cael

Arcane
It's not exactly a statement but if you want to be triggered I recommend reading Fallout reviews on Steam. These are most recent negative reviews written in English, I'm sure if I would dig a bit more I would find even more hilarious ones:
I am not sure if that is actually triggering. To see such ignorance is rather... tragic. He didn't even figure out that "you failed to do any healing" means he failed the skill check. Actually, it seems that he doesn't know that there are skill checks. He seems to think the % means how effective the skill is, i.e., the higher the %, the more healing it does in the case of First Aid. Too bad there is no right of reply to the review because I am sure he would have been torn to shreds, although the 2 of 9 rating is rather indicative.

Cael

Arcane
Too bad there is no right of reply to the review
???
You can reply to a review but usuallly it's pointless, author of the review can delete it if it triggers him.
I'll need to look at it again, then. I went to the link, but I didn't see a reply button or anything that might be taken as a reply button.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Beamdog should hire Amber Scott to write for the new Planescape game, and and for future Beamdog titles, which will be remakes of Troika's games.

laclongquan

Arcane
If you want some absolute best of the best squadbased, inventory management, recruit management, loot management, high paced but tactical game with pause, install UFO Aftershock and UFO Afterlight~

Bestest thing in UFO series~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom