Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

True Messiah, a game of surreal religious horror

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
It's strange that this game which has gorgeous art and a dedicated creator with a proven track record (albeit in computer games) faces such difficulties while other simple board / card games make much more. Di they have a better rolodex? Good luck with the relaunched campaign.

Thanks! The impression I get is that my track record from computer games doesn't "count" with board games for some reason (which is weird, given how much easier board games are to make, but whatever). But yeah. I have no good explanation for why I've had to fight so hard for this one while Kingdom Death: Monster basically had half the earth's currency drop in their laps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well! Nothing to do but press on.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's strange that this game which has gorgeous art and a dedicated creator with a proven track record (albeit in computer games) faces such difficulties while other simple board / card games make much more. Di they have a better rolodex? Good luck with the relaunched campaign.

Thanks! The impression I get is that my track record from computer games doesn't "count" with board games for some reason (which is weird, given how much easier board games are to make, but whatever). But yeah. I have no good explanation for why I've had to fight so hard for this one while Kingdom Death: Monster basically had half the earth's currency drop in their laps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well! Nothing to do but press on.
Actually, it looks to me that the KS boardgamers are mostly attracted to miniatures, even when they are of the Eurogamer sort.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Actually, it looks to me that the KS boardgamers are mostly attracted to miniatures, even when they are of the Eurogamer sort.

You might think so--and yet, this thing is past $1 million a little more than halfway in! This one is doing well also, albeit on a smaller scale.

The board games scene is weird, man.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yes, at first, I also thought it would be mainly the mini games, which attract lots of money (and they do - but people get lots of minis in return) - but I came to the conclusion that it must be something else (hence my "rolodex" comment).

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Hey all! Just a quick heads-up: we're in the final day of the campaign, and it looks like we're going to fund! This sucker ends tonight at 8:00 PM Central Daylight Time (GMT -5). If you've been considering picking True Messiah up, now's your chance!

Also, a really great review of the game just dropped this morning, in case you need more convincing:

True Messiah has a fresh approach to deck building. Most deck builders are similar enough you barely need to read the rules to know how they work. Teaching them is like, "That's the symbol for money. That's the symbol for attack. Here's a list of keywords. Go." That's not the case here. Your miracles are tactics that connect directly to your unit placement. They have range based on where your Messiah is. You need ready Believers in holy spaces to use them. Your income and troops mostly come from controlling Temples. It's all woven together intricately to create a strategical experience that is more than the sum of its parts.

I really enjoyed the unfolding of strategy as I learned how the miracles and units work together. I'm a conquest gamer. Once I figure a game out, I get bored with it pretty fast. This is the sort of thing I could play a few times a week and never get bored with it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
With a last minute flurry of backers, Craig Stern made it over the finish line! Three cheers!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-of-post-apocalyptic-cult-warfa/posts/2161635

For those who didn't follow the campaign, this is a project Craig has been working on for 15 years. Many of us have had similar teen-aged ambitions, which, like layabout delinquents, never seem to make it out of the house and into the real world. So there is something particularly heartening in seeing this come to life. Congrats!

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Betraying my age, I will admit that this was actually a college-aged ambition; I was in my 20s when I designed the initial prototype for this! ;)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
For those who didn't back and wish to buy one copy

https://sinisterdesign.net/true-messiah-is-now-out/

DECEMBER 12, 2018
True Messiah is now out!
You may have heard that True Messiah won the Best Tabletop Game 2018 Award at Dreamhack Atlanta; you may have heard that it was nominated for the Gamer’s Voice Award at SXSW; but did you know that you can now order a copy of True Messiah for yourself?

It’s true! The game is right here–grab a copy while supplies last:

I really enjoyed the unfolding of strategy as I learned how the miracles and units work together. I’m a conquest gamer. Once I figure a game out, I get bored with it pretty fast. This is the sort of thing I could play a few times a week and never get bored with it.

Stephen Gulick, Everything Board Games
Product-Shot-1024x391.png

To buy: https://sinisterdesign.net/product/true-messiah/

J1M

Arcane

You might think so--and yet, this thing is past $1 million a little more than halfway in! This one is doing well also, albeit on a smaller scale.

The board games scene is weird, man.
The themes you pick hold you back from more mainstream appeal. Swapping telepaths for wizards and druids would have helped your game sales.

Similarly, I would have went with "Cults of Cthulu" instead of "True Messiah" if you wanted more kickstarter attention.

Feel free to reach out if you'd like some brand consulting on your next project for a nominal fee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom