Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is good. I still like Thief 2 more but TDM does some things differently to the old games that you might consider improvements:

- it has better AI
- AI is harder to knock out and there are less exploits
- more dynamic lighting (although the last time I played it, it sometimes looked a little silly, like fire behind an oven grate that would cause wildly dancing shadows)
- sneaking is a little harder, running over stone and wood makes AI turn their head around and they can spot you that way
- yes, AIs here will often turn their heads into a direction they heard something from; vision cone follows their eyes. There are also some one-eyed AIs that are easier to sneak past from the blind side

But:

- the sound propagation isn't as good as in the old Thief games
- I find the visuals of the old Thiefs to be more atmospheric but that comes down entirely to taste; I just like late 90s/early 00s graphics better than the more modern-looking Doom 3 engine

As far as gameplay goes, it has all the things that Thief 1 and 2 had. It has flashbombs, it has rope arrows, it has climbing and mantling and all of that stuff. It's as faithful to the original gameplay principles as a spiritual sequel can be.
I haven't played TDM for a while (maybe 2 years) but I plan to get back into it and play some of the recent FMs. The quality of early TDM missions is a fair bit below the contemporary Thief FMs, but by now they're starting to reach the level of quality of the better T2 FMs.
So yes: TDM is definitely worth checking out if you like Thief. There are some top-tier fan missions available to play and since it's all entirely 100% free there is no reason not to try it out.

There is no official campaign though, only fan missions. Melan might be able to say how far the Crucible of Omens campaign has progressed so far.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this actually any good? How does it compare to Thief 1 - 3?
TBH the best way to confirm is to watch a Let's Play (there are tons) or just download it and play the starting missions (Training, A New Job, The Tears of St. Lucia).

There is no official campaign though, only fan missions. Melan might be able to say how far the Crucible of Omens campaign has progressed so far.
There is an official campaign now, and that's the three-mission series consisting of A New Job, St. Lucia and a yet unreleased mission scheduled for the next update. There are two more complete campaigns: No Honor Among Thieves (three missions) and the Thomas Porter Series (eight missions). The rest are in various stages of completion, though they are playable on a mission-by-mission basis.

The Crucible of Omens has recently been revived and we are looking into packing up the first mission (smaller and less complex than the prologue, but still huge). It is not any more official than any other campaign would be - although it reuses some maps originally designed for what would have been the official campaign.

Is there any chance the TDM folks could implement the recently released Steam Audio engine? Realistic sound propagation is really really important to a Thief game, and the one in TDM sucks.
No idea what that is, but unlikely unless someone comes in and implements it. TDM is a shoestring operation. People sometimes get the idea there is a large hidden team working silently behind the facade, but it's more like two or three really dedicated guys working their asses off. The current priority would be to get soft shadows working properly; there is an advanced prototype, but some key problems haven't been resolved yet, and SteveL, who did most of it has gotten a terrible case of burnout. Major features do get picked up sometimes, but they'd have to be backwards-compatible (i.e. they shouldn't break any existing maps).

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
It is good. I still like Thief 2 more but TDM does some things differently to the old games that you might consider improvements:

- it has better AI
- AI is harder to knock out and there are less exploits
- more dynamic lighting (although the last time I played it, it sometimes looked a little silly, like fire behind an oven grate that would cause wildly dancing shadows)
- sneaking is a little harder, running over stone and wood makes AI turn their head around and they can spot you that way
- yes, AIs here will often turn their heads into a direction they heard something from; vision cone follows their eyes. There are also some one-eyed AIs that are easier to sneak past from the blind side

But:

- the sound propagation isn't as good as in the old Thief games
- I find the visuals of the old Thiefs to be more atmospheric but that comes down entirely to taste; I just like late 90s/early 00s graphics better than the more modern-looking Doom 3 engine

As far as gameplay goes, it has all the things that Thief 1 and 2 had. It has flashbombs, it has rope arrows, it has climbing and mantling and all of that stuff. It's as faithful to the original gameplay principles as a spiritual sequel can be.
I haven't played TDM for a while (maybe 2 years) but I plan to get back into it and play some of the recent FMs. The quality of early TDM missions is a fair bit below the contemporary Thief FMs, but by now they're starting to reach the level of quality of the better T2 FMs.
So yes: TDM is definitely worth checking out if you like Thief. There are some top-tier fan missions available to play and since it's all entirely 100% free there is no reason not to try it out.

Awesome reply, thanks. Going to DL it, heard mixed things which is why I held off playing it.

Garrettt

Educated
While the prologue mission for the crucible of omens campaign was technically very impressive I found myself burned out on it after an hour. If ever there was an example of a mission being TOO large that would be it.

So i'm really pleased that the next mission will be smaller, I think the mission will benefit from that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Damnit, this game has to get on Steam before the greenlight system is closed. I hope you are getting good votes.
We're in the #1 position. That's not a guarantee, but let's hope it helps.
Valve walkes mysterious ways when it comes to greenlight, but I hope the #1 position will get you there either way.

Um...what would being on Steam mean by the way? What extras can you offer through that service?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I hope you get greenlit on the next batch, because this is ridiculous. You have 10 thousand votes and you are No.1, and you are still not there? Come on Gaben, what do you need? Do you want them to send you some hamburgers?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
No worries - this just in:

tumblr_ominj9QNCV1rxmn3vo1_1280.jpg

Still needs some t's crossed and i's dotted, but it is done.

Thanks to all who voted and/or commented... now go learn how to make a mission. :)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Bros, a few weeks ago I played A House of Locked Secrets and it's really good. Give it a try, it's free!

No seriously, it's very well-made. Also, watch out for the bad man.

Goldwell

Novice
I had posted this before on The Dark Mod forums but thought I would post it here with a bit of an update

There are a couple of things that have changed since I uploaded that trailer but Lord Edgar's Disappearance is a four part campaign I am making for the dark mod. The first mission is a rainy city mission that's mostly done and the second mission is a dock mission mostly done, the third mission is a small city area and the final fourth mission is a museum heist mission. The reason why I wanted to do this was because I wanted to have a story arc spanned out over multiple missions rather than the usual beginning middle and end all contained within one mission. I find that my level design and writing definitely improve having different environments to expand the main story arc out over.

I am going to be pushing it back to release in the spring time, however I have a large snowy city mission that's 90% finished and it's coming out this winter (my current goal is November but that may slip back to December) and I have another smaller mission that I hope to get out in the meantime.

None of these missions feature aliens btw :P

Melan

Arcane
Patron
Seconded: spoonman's mission is excellent, large, and has the tension of a proper prison escape mission.

It is nice to finally see some diversity in TDM, too!
One of the AI is a woman with a man's voice. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Last edited:
I would pay actual money for this. Is there any way I can donate to the developers?

Not to be a graphics whore like a lot of YouTube users commenting on this game, as I do think this game looks fantastic as is due to a combination of the engine aging pretty well and the art style, but I'm curious if some of the enhancements made to id Tech 4 by modders (parallax occlusion mapping + HD textures, HDR + tonemapping, soft shadows + SSAO, tessellated characters, real time reflections) would be possible in this. There's probably underlying limitations, and I wouldn't know since I'm not a developer and I didn't work on this. But I'm curious.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
Soft shadows are in the testing phase, and coming along nicely. I think some of that other stuff is also in the works, along with a good deal of performance optimising work.

It is going on fairly slowly because people are doing it in their free time, but there is constant progress on the dev forums.

Soft shadows are in the testing phase, and coming along nicely. I think some of that other stuff is also in the works, along with a good deal of performance optimising work.

It is going on fairly slowly because people are doing it in their free time, but there is constant progress on the dev forums.
Nice.

If there is any way I can donate, let me know.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Wow, I can't believe this went below my radar. How long is the campaign? Is it finished?

Goldwell

Novice
Just released my new fan mission, The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs

Briefing video

Author note

This is a brand new mission and a new entry into the accountant series.

There are some different than usual puzzles in this FM, so if you find yourself stuck try to think about your pathway forward in a logical manner. And if you're still having troubles then pop by this thread and ask (preferably with spoiler tags).

This FM is brand new and serves as the first installment in The Accountant series, a few years back there was a small prologue style mission released however I felt that it did not represent The Accountant series so I decided to go back to the drawing board and do a whole new mission that's both larger, has better level design and has a story that lines up closer to what I plan to do with the accountant series.

The mission is medium sized and you can expect between 30-90 minutes to complete it depending on your playstyle.

Screen shots

uRxLt28.jpg

fM8zw44.jpg

5W5LBW7.jpg

WUChvcT.jpg

UeoOc0U.jpg

Download

Available in the in-game downloader for TDM, and if you're after an off-site mirror: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mmLji5xgKALQAes_Oo0YHIoRHC8R_zWu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom