Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

Zenith

Arbiter
Congrats on release :salute:
a few years back there was a small prologue style mission released however I felt that it did not represent The Accountant series so I decided to go back to the drawing board and do a whole new mission that's both larger, has better level design and has a story that lines up closer to what I plan to do with the accountant series.
Selling yourself short, man, the prologue was one of the comfiest FMs and I'm keeping it backed up even though I don't think it worked properly on new TDM versions.
ZENtVjm.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
wait what
There is no new version coming? What about that big update with new AI behaviors, animations and polished sounds?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Goldwell Accountant 1 is great. Loving the atmosphere; it's got some genuinely creepy vibes. However, it is unstable and laggy on my potato PC. I've already experienced two crashes, and the game can bring my FPS to 10-20 even after lowering the resolution. Any way to mitigate that?

Goldwell

Novice
Goldwell Accountant 1 is great. Loving the atmosphere; it's got some genuinely creepy vibes. However, it is unstable and laggy on my potato PC. I've already experienced two crashes, and the game can bring my FPS to 10-20 even after lowering the resolution. Any way to mitigate that?

Thanks!

You definitely shouldn't be getting any crashes, no testers reported crashes and I haven't had any comments in the release thread about it either, you're the first. So I would recommend doing a fresh install of the dark mod 2.05, perhaps that can help?

As for performance, I also never recieved complaints in testing, and a player recently commented on how well it ran on their old laptop. The only thing I can think of is perhaps TDM is running in it's slower than usual mode. This sounds strange but I have experienced this for years with TDM where sometimes I run TDM I will get 20-30FPS and then I close it and reopen it to get a stable 60fps in the exact same scenes.

How I test if the game is running properly is first activate the FPS counter by using the console command "com_Showfps 1" and in the main menu if you're getting a stable 60fps you know the game is running optimally. If it is running below that while in the menu then just close it down and reopen it until it does. Once you see that constant 60fps you can be sure that the game will be running at it's optimal speed and then just use the command "com_showfps 0" to turn off the FPS counter and begin the mission. I believe this issue is fixed in 2.06 as well but that's still awhile off so I hope that helps you!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Yea I'll try to do a reinstall of TDM. Might just be something messed up with the existing installation.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Hey Goldwell just wanted to let you know that reinstalling TDM did fix the lag issue. The mission ran really smoothly after that. Also, I just finished it. It's a really well made mission. Very atmospheric and I got chills at several points, especially the

doctor's clinic

I did get stuck for a while though. Had to watch Boy Lag's walkthrough to figure out
where the entrance to the electrical tower was :P

Goldwell

Novice
Glad to hear that solved your issues!

In retrospect, I realized I should have made that window transparent as I think a few people got stuck there

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
How I test if the game is running properly is first activate the FPS counter by using the console command "com_Showfps 1" and in the main menu if you're getting a stable 60fps you know the game is running optimally. If it is running below that while in the menu then just close it down and reopen it until it does. Once you see that constant 60fps you can be sure that the game will be running at it's optimal speed and then just use the command "com_showfps 0" to turn off the FPS counter and begin the mission. I believe this issue is fixed in 2.06 as well but that's still awhile off so I hope that helps you!
Holyshit... thanks for the pro-tip Goldwell, that fixed my lag too. :)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Goldwell Just finished The Accountant 2. Holy shit that was unnerving as fuck. You, sir, are a master of ambient sounds :salute:
What's the frobbable soil in the rooftop garden for?

Jazz_

Arcane
Are there FMs were the atmosphere is not so bleak? Got around to trying this (tried 4-5 FMs so far) but it doesn't feel like Thief at all mood-wise, where's the levity/humor of the original games? It feels like I'm playing some horror game with some stealing on the side, maybe I just downloaded the wrong missions.. but most of them had frickin' zombies and cheap horror tricks in it. I finished ''Down By The Riverside'' which was stunning but again didn't really feel like a Thief mission honestly but like I was playing ''Layers of Fear'' or some shit like that. I also gave up on Flakesomething Monastery because again undeads and trite horror elements. I also downloaded a mission from Melan (forgot the name) where you literally start in the middle of a zombie gathering. :D

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
All of Melan's missions are pure Thief 1 atmosphere-wise, especially the Penny Dreadful series. The first mission has some horror elements but the two follow-ups are more human-centric and totally ooze that Thief 1 atmosphere.
You should check out Springheel's and grayman's missions as well.

Goldwell

Novice
Goldwell Just finished The Accountant 2. Holy shit that was unnerving as fuck. You, sir, are a master of ambient sounds :salute:
What's the frobbable soil in the rooftop garden for?

Thank you! I put a lot of effort into finding/creating good SFX/Ambience so that's good to know it's appreciated :)

As for your question
That's part of a secret, there is a spade inside the kitchen pantry area in Griswold's apartment that you need to dig it up

I've only played a few FMs, but I know enough to fire this up again for a new Goldwell mission. Good chap.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Just released my new fan mission, The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs
Didn't expect to see you here, big fan of your missions. Just completed the mission on hardest difficulty. It was pretty good and the voicework you did was also pretty great, but it felt pretty short and easy compared to TA2, granted I care little about being a pure ghost and knock everyone out, still there was only about like 5 guards in the entire mission, none of which were a issue.

I completed this in only 57 minutes but I spent at least 10 minutes backtracking to find the electrician's tower, think I spent 2 hours in TA2. Glad you are keeping the tradition alive as there still was a ring in the toilet like your previous missions. What's up with the note in the spooky clinic about someone watching him? I expected some sort of ghost demon monster if I picked up the skull like in TA2. The intro, custom backgrounds and click noises are all good, that was a nice touch. You had some video of some experimental ambient music you did on your channel a while ago, did you include any of it in this?
I would have liked to see a bit more verticality and usage of rope arrows, these types of street maps are pretty great for this and I was disappointed at the fact that there was zero rope arrows at all across the entire mission.

7.5/10 would be my final score. Good, but not much freedom, a bit too linear and I felt way too safe across the entire mission since there was few guards, little light, plentiful resources, no undead or anything, and those spiders were no threat at all. The ambiance and use of effects like rain, fog, smoke and steam is still great, but map felt a bit barren and a collectathon rather than being behind enemy lines hunted by everyone.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That's right. 2.06 has recently entered beta testing.
Ah ok then. That introduction mission wasn't anything special anyway.
I don't get people complaining about lack of official campaign. Same deal with Call of Chernobyl - so much freedom yet people want some generic crap to ride the rail.
Sure the current model (base for dozen of FMs) mean the quality is varied - but so is the singleplayer in most videogames...

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Alright. I completed Volta II. Easily a top 10 mission for me, it's absolutely huge and I didn't even touch all of the content, I got less than half of the total loot in the mission. Everything flowed extremely well and was a pure joy to play, just wish I took some screenshots because it was really pretty.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I just finished Volta I + II in a single sitting and I must say I was blown away, especially with the Volta II mission. The Lost City homage really brought tears to my eyes.

Whether it's the memorable level design, the superb lighting, the overall polish and atmosphere - everything that went into this work is just a pure joy to experience. It doesn't get much closer to the LGS classics than that. Kingsal is a true pro. 10/10 :salute:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It really is amazing. I only had one gripe, and that was the light mushrooms and him being too liberal with them, but otherwise it really was 10/10. I think it's one of the few TDM Pagan FMs too, very few of those despite how pretty it can look.
I played on hardest difficulty and I love that Kingsal didn't go with no kill rules like many do, guess what, killing people in TDM is HARDER than knocking them out very often because one hit broadhead kills are impossible without extremely precise aim, impossible on those monsters and shortsword can't consistently backstab. That's a gripe for me with TDM in general, killing is just way too hard and way too loud when it shouldn't be. Leather helmets can stop 1 hit headshots from arrows, it is absurd. I wish more missions had killing as an objective, Ulysses 1 & 2 had killing as a objective and it forced me to get really creative with removing obstacles, I used broadhead arrows to lure targets to mines while on a shelf trying not to be found. Tense as hell.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
By the way lads, if you haven't already remember to enable EAX audio in the game, and other older games too because it works for all EAX games, although I think 2.06 will have OpenAL EAX so you won't need this after that releases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom