Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News TSI's Gateway will let you transfer characters between Seven Dragon Saga, Torment and Shadowrun

Dorateen

Arcane
Bringing characters from a sci-fi game into a fantasy game is just... stupid?

What about bringing fantasy characters into a sci-fi game?

I rolled the same characters from the AD&D Gold Box games into Buck Rogers, adjusting for race and classes, accordingly. Dwarven fighter became a Venusian Engineer, elves became Martians, etc. The party's cleric was a Medic, naturally. If there was something like Gateway back then, it would have been sweet.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never seen the point of character transfers unless it's to a game's direct sequel.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sounds like someone hasn't played a Rifts game yet. :obviously:

The RIFTS rules are a schizophrenic mess. This makes a lot of sense once you realize that Kevin Siembieda is batshit insane.

It's therefore fairly easy to essentially scoop those rules up with a shovel and slop them down someplace else without doing them any harm.

Ladonna

Arcane
This sounds like a throwback to old games that allowed this kind of thing. Ultima to Bards Tale to Death Lord to Phantasie, etc. It was fairly common place back then, and the guys at TSI are all of that vintage. Nothing to get worked up over.

oscar

Arcane
I'd rather the time, energy and effort went elsewhere.

Morkar Left

Personally I think I would rarely use it. It would make sense for me when there are similar rpgs with a similar gameworld. Then it would be on a different continent / place of the universe.
Of course you could always pretend that "you" are some kind of dimension-traveller of course, but meh.

I think the biggest problem is, that you need rpg-mechanics that cover such a long char development approach. Crpgs today aren't made like this (or were never really made like this). They are focused to max out your char in one game and char progression is not meant to be stretched out over several games (unfortunately).

The only workaround I see here is to make different difficult settings with different amounts of xp earned and scaled skill checks dependent on the chosen difficulty level. And hopefully no hp bloat for enemies...

It could be fun in some rare instances with very generic worlds / dungeon crawlers or in a game series when scaling/adjusting difficulty ingame is possible.

Telengard

Arcane
One doesn't get to keep levels and stuff. The conversion algorithms may set characters to 1st level, maybe a little higher, and will retain some unique pieces of equipment and traits that cannot be acquired any other way. It's a gimmick, from a time when the Starship Enterprise flew over the ending credits of your fantasy game, you know, for funsies.

This is before the silver age, before Immerzun took over, before games became Serious Business, when doing a little something extra for a subset group of fans that doesn't change the game at all for anyone else was just something you did. You did it because it was fun and some people liked it, and you didn't need any more reason than that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, it's actually cool and it has nothing to do with wanting to skip character creation. Would be even cooler if they allowed importing from old games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I hope Sword Coast Legends is included, this guy will have a blast:
I am a paladin player. I always roll one named Aric, human. Kal is my paladin from Baldurs Gate saga. This time I will pick another name and roll a half-elf paladin. He will be the son of Kal and Aerie, her mother putted him in a magic slumber after Kal and her leave the Realms when he was barely 18 and now he wakes centuries later ready for SCL.
Based on the feedback i had here, I will roll a half-elf now since they make so great paladins too and it will be a nice way to connect both plots in my personal story.

Ladonna

Arcane
Guys, that is just how some of these old devs run. They think it is a cool gimmick and know others that feel the same way. As I said, it was standard practice for many games back in the day, even crossing publisher boundaries. I know some of you would rather they spent that extra time doing something else, but they think differently. I suggest keeping your powder dry for any real decline rather than huffing and puffing over this funny old practice.

If that doesn't do it for you, think of what could have been; they could have done a Lord British.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
If that doesn't do it for you, think of what could have been; they could have done a Lord British.

And what is that supposed to mean?

SotA_Characters_LordBritish.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the most gimmicky, useless feature since the Xbox Kinect. It will also fail. It CANNOT work between the games they mentioned without a huge ammount of work from each developer. Who will have money, time, iniative to work on this on the long run?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Just stumbled on this again, I so hope this gets made.

I really wish to transfer my characters between a boring game, a shit game, and a game that doesn't exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom