Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

(TW3) Exploration sucks in this game

Santander02

Arcane
Due to the shitty randomized leveled loot system

What's that? You managed to somehow finish a level 20 quest when you're just level 12? You expect to get a level 20 sword for your colossal effort? Well, too bad, items are scaled down to around your level so here's a level 10 sword for you instead.

What's that? You're level 21 and you are doing a level 20 quest? expect to get a new sword that more or less matches your level? Well, too bad cuz loot levels are also randomized and you're just as likely to get that level 10 sword again as you are to get the level 20 one or anything in between!

What's that? You forgot to do a level 20 quest when it first appeared and now you're level 26! Well, too bad bad cause even though that quest is extremely long and involved and Geralt exclaims how this sword he found is so much more badass than anything he's ever seen, the same randomized item level system that punishes you for doing the quest too early by scaling the item down, also punishes you for doing the quest too late by NOT scaling the item UP so, here's that same level 10-20 sword again!

What's that? You traveled all the way to the edge of the map, fought your way up a mountain infested with vampires, kill a giant wyvern guarding an ancient treasure and expect to get a legendary unique sword for your herculean task? Well, FUCK YOU because there is almost no hand placed items in this game, the items themselves are also randomized so here is that same level 10-20 sword that you've already gotten 3 times already

Either cdpr went full retard and copied a page from beth's page-book to attract console 'tards, or they got lazy and implemented this system so they didn't have to place loot by hand themselves

tldr: Recommend a mod that removes this shit loot system plz

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Yup. All the open World does in TW3 is bloat it up for no real reason. Exploration rarely yields any real reward, and there's very few surprises or new discoveries after the first few hours.

Blood & Wine gets the balance WAY better.

Quillon

Arcane
Fuck random loot, never used them 'cept in the beginning. I "explored" mainly for recipes and diagrams and for completion.

Yup. All the open World does in TW3 is bloat it up for no real reason. Exploration rarely yields any real reward, and there's very few surprises or new discoveries after the first few hours.

I agree with the first part of your post - but I don't think B&W makes it any better.

Santander02

Arcane
Fuck random loot, never used them 'cept in the beginning. I "explored" mainly for recipes and diagrams and for completion.

It isn't just the random loot tho. In Hattori's quest he's supposed to reward you with an ĂĽber sword that will take him days to forge, it was a lvl24 quest, I did it at lvl 19 and his "sword to outshine all others" was a lvl 17 toothpick.

Fuck this crap indeed.

Agreed, there is no point in hunting for superior loot, other than the diagrams for Witcher gear which aren't randomized. I guess they're going for the same thing as the previous games where you are supposed to use custom made witcher gear for best results, but it negatively affects exploration. As for the leveled quest rewards as mentioned above, well, they definitely Oblivioned the game with that move. Just like the map blips and quest markers everywhere that force me to turn off the HUD so I can get some peace and look at the actual game.

Falksi

Arcane

I agree with the first part of your post - but I don't think B&W makes it any better.

B&W introduced enough fresh elements (new monsters, mutations, ingredients etc.) to give some of that exploration purpose again. It also seemed structured better too. Combat was a damn sight better for having actually challenging monsters to fight.

I can still understand people having issues with it tho, and the cities/towns still felt fairly pointless. But compared to endless wolf & bandit fights over bland/barren Velen it was Heaven.

The overall Open World approach was kinda pointless, and I'm amazed how many love hunting round for meaningless things, and being surrounded by pointless, none-interactive NPCs, who only offer the same shit loads of other NPCs offer everywhere else.

Quillon

Arcane
When all Geralt can use are two handed swords, there was no point having crapton of them as loot/quest rewards on top of various witcher set swords, best is ignoring all of them except for some certain ones like IRIS or AERONDÄ°GHT but still I stuck with witcher set swords cos of consistent aesthetics and also they were good. CDPR tried hard to make equipment varied & interesting with adding xbow and different armor types but in the end what a witcher can use is very specific and limited, f.i. I don't think a witcher should even wear heavy armor when all he's about is speed.

When all Geralt can use are two handed swords, there was no point having crapton of them as loot/quest rewards on top of various witcher set swords, best is ignoring all of them except for some certain ones like IRIS or AERONDÄ°GHT but still I stuck with witcher set swords cos of consistent aesthetics and also they were good. CDPR tried hard to make equipment varied & interesting with adding xbow and different armor types but in the end what a witcher can use is very specific and limited, f.i. I don't think a witcher should even wear heavy armor when all he's about is speed.
Well, in real life athletic people can be pretty nimble even while wearing plate armor, so I'm okay with fiction taking that approach, though I can't tell when it's intentional and when it's by accident.

B&W's main quest allows you to teleport from one main quest location straight to the next main quest location through dialog which is a boon to the openworld/exploration-hating Falksi types.

For those of us who do enjoy open worlds and exploration Toussaint's open world also has some improvements compared to the main game as it's far easier to see landmarks in the distance and thus actually possible to orientate without having to resort to the map/minimap/gps(or witcher sense waypoint marker if you use friendlyhud with the minimap disabled- which you should).

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
Exploration sucks in this game

That's why.
That has to be one of the most misleading titles for any article ever:

Director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz wasn’t just trying to start a flame war; he said CD Projekt Red “for sure” has a lot to learn from Bethesda, especially how to make open worlds with huge vistas with ambience and adventures, but that Skyrim missed an opportunity to be immersive.

“Thinking of the lesson were learned on Skyrim is that you need to care about immersion with the game all the time,” he told GameInformer in a video interview.

“You can’t show that you got some generic solutions or generic stuff in the game and Skyrim – it was generic. You could make the same quest a few times, and every time, an NPC didn’t spot that you made it for him previously.”

Tomaszkiewicz said that in order to maintain immersion, every quest has to be designed in such a way that NPCs react to what the player is doing. He said that in The Witcher 3, players will see evidence oif every choice they make in the world around them – NPCs will talk about things the player has done, and react with anger or approval.

By combining Skyrim’s beautiful open world with CD Projekt’s emphasis on consequence in the game world, Tomaszkiewicz said, he hopes The Witcher 3 will be the “perfect RPG”.
Skyrim – it was generic.

The leveled quests/equipment/enemies/everything make it obvious where Witcher 3's principal inspiration (at least mechanics-wise) came from: MMORPG's.

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
Also: The alchemy system, while hunting for ingredients isn't that big of a motivation to explore as loot, it is a motivation nonetheless, one that was eliminated thanks to the magically refilling potions and bombs (how the hell does Geralt rebuilds his bombs with booze anyway??)

tldr: Recommend a mod that removes this shit loot system plz
Maybe https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2120 https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1732 can alleviate some of your issues. I know ghost mode specifically boosted quest reward swords like the one you got from the master swordsmith.

Also you gotta realize Geralt isn't Frodo, you're not gonna find Sting by going around sticking your dick in random tombs or caves, you're just gonna find some nasty critter that's going to take a chunk out of your gear and health and you won't get paid for it. The game does provide you with reasons to go into most of those places(quests, treasure hunts, alchemy ingredient, mutagens) and at the end of B&W you do get a good gameplay/stat reason to care about clearing those monster nests/POIs.

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
Might as well not bother with implementing exploration in the game then (or an open world, for that matter), but I really, really doubt the game has such an atrocious loot system for the sake of lore of all things.

Thanks for the mods anyway, anyone has some more?

Deleted member 7219

If you play The Witcher 3 for the loot you're doing it wrong.

The exploration is only good for the amazing visuals and world design. That's it.

There are some interesting quests to be found out in the wild but not many. Fallout: New Vegas this isn't.

The Witcher 3 excels in its storytelling, C&C reactivity and signposted quests. It didn't need to be Bethesda open world, but CDProjekt looked at Oblivion/Skyrim and said, "Those are shit, we can do better", and they did.

Quillon

Arcane
(how the hell does Geralt rebuilds his bombs with booze anyway??)

Do you know how yogurt is made? :D

it is made with yeast initially but if you wanna make more, you just add some yogurt to milk and close the lid for sometime which is the exact alchemy system in wild hunt; alcohol interacts with the residuals of specific potion in the bottom of lid :P

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's funny when Geralt makes a big deal about being gifted that Ice sword from Skellige duke. It turns out to be shittier than a butter knife.

ffs speaking of the older games they had better loot and alchemy systems so what gives?
They likely made alchemy refill that way to avoid having certain people complain that they fought their way up a vampire-infested mountain and killed an ancient wyvern and didn't get a single healing potion. Same reason every ancient wyvern's nest has to hold a random leveled sword or armor piece rather than be covered in nothing but ancient wyvern poop. Thanks.

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
Yeah, or more likely they wanted to attract the mumorpege crowd, like cross said

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom