Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Twitcher 3 is very far from the best written game ever

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's discuss about your counter examples, your bar of good video game writing.

KOTOR2: Definitely good. Does it set the bar very high that TW3 is not comparable to it? No. While the story has some pretty good idea regarding the setting and how ambiguous Force should be, the characters are just some sort of okayish. There is really nothing shining in execution either besides trying to subvert the usual black vs white of SW settings.

Bloodlines: No. Bloodlines has interesting setting and good presentation. It is good but it no ways set a bar that high.

MotB: Never finished it, can't comment.

The only one I think set the bar high is PST and a lot of people would perhaps agree that PST is the game with good writing.

Playing a lot of games between PST and TW3, TW3 execution of its narrative is top notch that it deserves at least top 10 or even 5 in my books. The Bloody Baron questlines and Bloody Baron himself is one example of how good TW3 could be at its best. Of course being an open world games with dozens of quest makes the overall quality more average than it should be, but even then it is still a feat that TW3, narrative wise, trumps over most games in managing things interesting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Plus, in terms of characters and dialogues only, TW3 is simply a superstar. Not just the writing but also the design and voice overs of the characters are in a league of its own.

Still can't get over how incredibly well they nailed Ciri. The mix of youth, human femininity and alien Elder Blood looks eerily authentic.

820617-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-alternative-look-for-ciri-playstation.jpg

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Well, Bloodlines writing is first of all mature. Target audience is not the same as W3, you can't expect some NPC in Bloodlines to pad you on shoulder and praise how good you were in bed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Bloodlines is mature in the sense that's it's not filled with assholes just being assholes and calling it "moral ambiguity".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Who in Bloodlines is an asshole just for being an asshole? Maybe Therese? LaCroix is an incompetent ponce, but not asshole-ish. Ming is underdeveloped, so I wouldn't call her anything. That Russian mafia guy?

Lambach

Arcane
Who in Bloodlines is an asshole just for being an asshole? Maybe Therese? LaCroix is an incompetent ponce, but not asshole-ish. Ming is underdeveloped, so I wouldn't call her anything. That Russian mafia guy?

Just what is your definition of "an asshole just for being an asshole"? It's a completely meaningless phrase. Which character, specifically, fits that criteria in Twitcher 3?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Many no-name side characters in Twitcher-verse are brutal, greedy and just plain unlikable, just because the writers think this is what a "grim dark setting" is supposed to be like. At the top of my head, those two guards "guarding" the impaled Keira and just casually talking how she's a cunt and she deserves it. There are many scenes like that (when you hand over Triss also comes to mind), just being assholes to show how dark and "morally ambiguous" everything is.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
Many no-name side characters in Twitcher-verse are brutal, greedy and just plain unlikable, just because the writers think this is what a "grim dark setting" is supposed to be like. At the top of my head, those two guards "guarding" the impaled Keira and just casually talking how she's a cunt and she deserves it. There are many scenes like that, just being assholes to show how dark and "morally ambiguous" everything is.

Good god, man, you do realize no-name characters are no-name because they only take 30 seconds of screen-time and can't be developed further because of it, right? You also do realize a lot of people genuinely are unlikable, cruel cunts too right, specially in the time period from which Twitcher 3 takes inspiration from. It was a much harsher, brutal time and the people reflect it.

Complaining about this is about as retarded as complaining that Sabbat thugs in VtM only shout "Hey yo, stop man!" because the writers wanted a "modern-time setting". It's a complete and utter non-argument.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That doesn't mean it's not populated by assholes just being assholes, which is what I said. The ratio of asshole is disproportionately high. It's a teenager's interpretation of a grim dark setting. Nobody in Bloodlines was like that (maybe except the mafia boss) and yet it was still an atmospherically "dark" game. It kinda reminds me of the Preacher comics, where Jesser Custer was such an asshole that it overwhelmed everything else and it was just a slog to read through it. This kinda goes against my idea that it's not mandatory for anyone to be likable in a narrative, but it should be done with some subtlety at least, otherwise it's bogged down by repetitiveness (which causes 1 dimensional presentation) and utter disgust, it's the same with the Mary Sue, but kinda on the opposite spectrum.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
That doesn't mean it's not populated by assholes just being assholes, which is what I said. It's a teenager's interpretation of a grim dark setting. Nobody in Bloodlines was like that (maybe except the mafia boss) and yet it was still an atmospherically "dark" game.

You're complaining about medieval soldiers, whose job was murdering people and brutalizing peasants, being cruel assholes. That's so asinine I can't even wrap my head around it. Are you going to complain about Witchers being assholes for killing endangered monster species too?

Besides, as you've mentioned yourself, those are only no-name characters and even there you're still completely wrong. What about the family you meet while tracking the Baron's wife and daughter who helped them escape? What about that noblewoman who gave up her faith in the Eternal Fire after she saw the Temple Guard torching innocents (and ended up getting killed for it)? What about half a quadrillion other examples that go contrary to what you said?

eggdogg

Learned
Witcher 3 is arguably the best game ever. The writing may not be MCA level but the game as a whole is light years ahead of pretty much everything.

The writing was good enough for me to be actually worried about Ciri during my first play through and overjoyed when she took that first breath in my arms. I was even moved by the ending I got. MCA style writing makes my brain go into overdrive but TW3 pulled some heart strings that no other game even got close to.

typical user

Arbiter
Witcher is anything except this. It is solid game with stunning amount of content and nothing more. I say this after beating the game twice. It's combat and combat skills could use refinement, balancing is shoddy, most quests require you to kill stuff, dialogs are terrible since you can't see what your character is going to say, most of the time when you are clearing the map you look at tiny piece of HUD instead of admiring wonderful graphics and attention to detail. The list goes on. It's great for what it is and shows a lot of promise for CDP Red in terms of future games but now I know this game is far cry from being perfect.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Wow, I thought that no game could possibly become more overrated than DX:HR but TW3 fags are out of control so we have a winner. :lol: It's a bit strange to see this sort of circlejerk faggotry on the Codex going on for 3 pages while almost completely unopposed.

Not that I hate The Witcher series or anything. They're good games, all three of them. (E.g. I finished TW2 seven times twice despite not liking the combat system at all.) Yet there's a colossal difference between "just a good game" and "best game ever" or even "best writing ever", my dear fanboys, and TW3 can't claim either of those titles no matter how many times you say otherwise.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Oh come on guys, don't be so restrained, bash it harder. You know you want to.

Keppo

Arbiter
Witcher writing haters, give us atleast some argumentation because u sound like u are just extremely burthurt, nothing more. Witcher 3 is one of the best written game, conversations, quests is easily above most modern video games, even old RPG's also with exceptions like Torment. Comparing Witcher 3 to other modern video games in terms of writing (converations or quests) is just retarded. I have in mind also that they were restricted by lore and quests from books. Best from Witcher video games are characters/quests written entirely by CDPR.

Can't wait for Cyberpunk, in terms of story/writing they have much more freedom than in Witcher series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom