Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Types of weapon damage - Other abilities

tiagocc0

Arcane
I'm trying to figure out what to put on the game.
A bit about the current system, a ship contains several components, each has it's own hit points, still considering if the ship hit points is the sums of components hit points or it's separated.

Components would like:
Bridge (how soon you act)
Engine (how far you move)
Hyper Jump (able to escape, move on the starmap)
Crew Quarters (how many crew you can have)
Life Support (how many crew you can support)
Scanner (discover enemies components)
Weapons (!!!)
Shield (hit before anything else, can regenerate)
Armor (hit after shield, before anything else, cannot regenerate)

So some ideas would be:
Hit a single component
Hit the entire ship
Bypass Shield
Bypass Armor
Kills the crew
Deactivates a component for a few turns
Deactivates just the Engine
Deactivates just the Shield
Any ideas anyone?

Omicron

Scholar
Maybe something that messes with the bridge, lowering initiative?
Or some sort of tracking drones that stick to the ships hull, giving away it's position and/or details of the fleet it's in?
A counter-scanner component in order to give away false information to the enemy?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Maybe something that messes with the bridge, lowering initiative?
Or some sort of tracking drones that stick to the ships hull, giving away it's position and/or details of the fleet it's in?
A counter-scanner component in order to give away false information to the enemy?

Nice, the first could be a kind of weapon that while it doesn't kill the crew would affect them with headaches causing all sort of attention disorders. (thus lowering initiative because the crew/captain can't concentrate).
The second could be a special weapon, a great one to use on fleeing fleets.
The third could actually be another kind of component!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm not much into how your combat works, but here are some ideas:

Weapons that take 2 or more turns to charge,
Weapon/hack drone that overides enemy systems, from making them shoot alies to exploding & damaging the ship,
Counter-weapon/shield that absorbs the next attack and fire it back,
Some sort of all-or-nothing device, like overloading a laser gun, disabling some (all?) of your systems (or shield) for more damage output,
A EMP pulse that disables all systems in range for a turn (incluiding yours),
And finally, crashing your ship into them would be very interesting.

IIRC there will be multiple enemies at once, so you could go beyond the basics of FTL and add some AOE attacks... like a really strong laser that cuts in line, or even a eletric anomaly/black hole generatror or some sci-fi stunt like that, depending on the intended seriouness/tech level...

tiagocc0

Arcane
I'm not much into how your combat works, but here are some ideas:

Weapons that take 2 or more turns to charge,
Weapon/hack drone that overides enemy systems, from making them shoot alies to exploding & damaging the ship,
Counter-weapon/shield that absorbs the next attack and fire it back,
Some sort of all-or-nothing device, like overloading a laser gun, disabling some (all?) of your systems (or shield) for more damage output,
A EMP pulse that disables all systems in range for a turn (incluiding yours),
And finally, crashing your ship into them would be very interesting.

IIRC there will be multiple enemies at once, so you could go beyond the basics of FTL and add some AOE attacks... like a really strong laser that cuts in line, or even a eletric anomaly/black hole generatror or some sci-fi stunt like that, depending on the intended seriouness/tech level...

What kind of system do you prefer?

All great ideas, I will dig some more on what you wrote!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Got a look back at your mock ups, it helped me get a more precise grasp on what you're doing.

mockup_3_custom.pspimage_new_font.png

I thought it would be more like FTL, didn't know it would be party based, that could add some synergy...some new ideas:

Deploying probe-generated laser walls that block attacks, like a 3 hexagonos barrier around a ship or even a bigger one in the middle of the battlefield, to guard your ships,
Suicide ships, from drones to sacrificing a ship in your party kamikaze way,
Space mines,
AOE shield/damage boost for your ships that are near,
Laser shots that splits into smaller laser after it hist the target...

Also, from what I gathered, I get the feeling that manuevering ships isn't much relevant... will there be something to reward that, like powerfull weapons with short range or the likes? As more retarded ideas, you could make a "laser link" between two ships, so you deal massive damage if you manage to surrond a enemy ship... or (even more wild idea) range extending drone ships, so you shoot your short-range laser on a drone near the enemy and it will bounce it into the enemy... as I said, wild ideas.

Found this quote too, that I think is very relevant:

Actually, alot of RPG magic spells can be implemented in spaceship combat as well: "Entangle", "Invisibility", "Mirror Image", "Teleport", "Dominate", etc.

You could easily find a technobullshit explanation for any of those skills...

Hum? What you mean?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Got a look back at your mock ups, it helped me get a more precise grasp on what you're doing.

Hum? What you mean?

I thought you knew it was party based so that's why I asked if you preferred something different.

Deploying probe-generated laser walls that block attacks, like a 3 hexagonos barrier around a ship or even a bigger one in the middle of the battlefield, to guard your ships,
Suicide ships, from drones to sacrificing a ship in your party kamikaze way,
Space mines,
AOE shield/damage boost for your ships that are near,
Laser shots that splits into smaller laser after it hist the target...
I will have to think about drones, it will be a lot of work to put them there visually.
But I like the idea.

Also, from what I gathered, I get the feeling that manuevering ships isn't much relevant... will there be something to reward that, like powerfull weapons with short range or the likes? As more retarded ideas, you could make a "laser link" between two ships, so you deal massive damage if you manage to surrond a enemy ship... or (even more wild idea) range extending drone ships, so you shoot your short-range laser on a drone near the enemy and it will bounce it into the enemy... as I said, wild ideas.
Correct, the range will be crucial, you have to get close to get more damage done, but at the same time you will be giving your enemy a chance to crush you. Being party based you will have to outnumber your enemy or be technologically superior.

Found this quote too, that I think is very relevant:
Actually, alot of RPG magic spells can be implemented in spaceship combat as well: "Entangle", "Invisibility", "Mirror Image", "Teleport", "Dominate", etc.
You could easily find a technobullshit explanation for any of those skills...
It makes sense, I will take a look at those classic magic effects.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I thought you knew it was party based so that's why I asked if you preferred something different.
Nah, I'm fine with it, otherwise it would be just a FTL clone. ;)

And will there be different enviroments, like asteroid fields that block line of sight & damage ships, fighting nears stars and that kind of thing? I would greatly expand importance of manuevers and you could even add some situational resources, like using a grvity beam to puch asteroids into enemies...

tiagocc0

Arcane
Nah, I'm fine with it, otherwise it would be just a FTL clone. ;)

And will there be different enviroments, like asteroid fields that block line of sight & damage ships, fighting nears stars and that kind of thing? I would greatly expand importance of manuevers and you could even add some situational resources, like using a grvity beam to puch asteroids into enemies...
I'm planning something like that but I wanted something more realistic, asteroids seems too much hollywood, but I may be wrong.
But fighting inside a nebulae, or on a system with a destabilized star, a pulsar or something like that would be great.
Something similar to a asteroid field could be a debris field from a previous battle.

laclongquan

Arcane
If you are making a space battle, there's no weapon that kill crew only. The whole ship is designed to protect the meatheads on it, after all.

You can do better to categorize it followed the weapon type

missile and torpedoes: impact damage. It only affect one specific point/region of space. outside of it, no damage. Range of weapon can be quite long. Damage caused from nuke head, although some tech can use laser rod head. Reload is depend on what you carry.
laser guns, plasma guns: energy damage. It affect a line of space, anything on that line get fried. Range is limited because direct energy transfer over long distance is horrifically high cost. This also play anti-missile role, as the time to arrival is essentially zero. Reload depend on your onboard energy generators.
Gravitic Drivers: impact damage and/or fire. It's the rail-cannon that shoot bullets at target. The SF guys like to shoot steel-coated uranium bullets because when it hit it will break and burn. it cost energy quite horrifically but the energy can come out of onboard generators. And if you dont have fancy shits like Ur, you can just make do with steel bullets, with Iron/nickels quite accessible in any asteroid belts.

So, two type of damage to simply it: impact damage, and energy damage. You can add secondary status like Fire, Radiated, EMP overloaded...

EDIT: and there's always captain on a ship. Called them Generic Captain if you must.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Well, it is sci-fi, there's no such thing as something doesn't exist. There will be even some races with psychic powers.

I don't want to be too realistic like that but that's a great explanation about the subject, I will keep it in mind.

tiagocc0

Arcane
spaceships are prepared for most kind of radiations types as to protected the crew, but you can say that all spaceships are protected against all kinds of radiation

EDIT: There could also be a missile that doesn't explode but penetrates the ship armor and then releases nanites/spores/gas/radioactive material

Like I said could be a kind of radiation not previously known, or simply a kind of radiation that would make the ship too expensive if protected against, having the technology to protect is one thing, applying this technology on all your military spaceships is another completely different

There could some kind psychic attack, or you could have a weapon that heats the enemy ship and fries everybody inside
Not all races may have those technologies, some might be particular to a kind of race because it's understanding is based on the type planet the race came from and/or the hardships it went trough.

Like a race that is natural from a gas giant that could develop a unique kind of plasma weapon that other races could try to acquire but would require a tremendous amount of research points

Or a race that has no physical body, instead it's made entirely of energy and has develop an energy missile that bypass shields

Is this all bad sci fi? if it is then my game is going to be the worst kind =D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom