Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Valtiel

Scholar
I just finished the game, I've waited all the patches and dlc to get the full experience once and for all. The game was conceptually very interesting, and I do not think it failed entirely making you feel not the classic peasant to king situation of every rpg. The world building is cool and the background lore is interesting (I liked all the Kyros and Edicts thing, no wonders that Avellone is credited for it), the plot is just you trying to become stronger and deciding which factions you like the most. The writing is meh, often annoying (all those gray descriptive text, just useless), rarely interesting. Liked the karma system but it's a shame that many situations do not influence the reputation as expected, resulting in always favorable outcomes (some also very significant, expecially in the end game). Skill check are totally worthless, i was always succeeding at it, and by the way all the stat thing is messed, seems like everyone is capable at everything. Combat is decent, but the encounter design lacks variety, there are like 3 type of monster enemies and then humanoid warriors/rogue/mage, so in the long distance it feels allways the same (Hated those spirit enemies, repetitive as fuck). Companions, Ok: Barik,Sirin, Lantry. Neutral:Verse, Nope: Eb, Beast thing(I couldn't stand the way it talked, i literally hated all those wolf beast thing in the game). Reactivity it's barely ok, it's not that the game is big enough to let you feel the choice you made. The stronghold mechanic it's badly implemented imho, I would have liked to have just one Spire which becomes bigger and better; also the last two you get are too late in the game, I never made a second trip to those... DLC add literally nothing to the game. It's a 6.5 / 10 game for me, even if I would like to see what changes by doing the other faction, I doubt I'll ever play it again, it's like it's not worth all the boring part.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even though the disc installs 13gb, only about 140 mb of it is any good. Since they've replaced the entire game through patching*, I suppose I'm going to have to keep my preconceptions in check.

I'm still mad about the download size and the bandwidth belt-tightening it's going to require of course. I was under the mistaken impression that Tyranny had fewer areas than PoE. :argh:

*Yeah I know, making one small change in a big file means the entire thing needs to be replaced

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even though the disc installs 13gb, only about 140 mb of it is any good. Since they've replaced the entire game through patching*, I suppose I'm going to have to keep my preconceptions in check.

I'm still mad about the download size and the bandwidth belt-tightening it's going to require of course. I was under the mistaken impression that Tyranny had fewer areas than PoE. :argh:

*Yeah I know, making one small change in a big file means the entire thing needs to be replaced
Your fault for buying physical stuff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Your fault for buying physical stuff.
The disc version of Tides of Numenera saved me several gigabytes. I rolled the dice and lost here. Had someone on the internet pointed out the now-uselessness of the disc, I wouldn't have bothered. :M

Antigoon

Augur
Picked it up during sale and really too lazy to go through all the threads. Which is the most fun path/class if you don't plan to play it more than once (probably won't even finish it once)?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Picked it up during sale and really too lazy to go through all the threads. Which is the most fun path/class if you don't plan to play it more than once (probably won't even finish it once)?
I would say go with warrior. Your Mage cannot be as good as ingame NPC anyways. That NPC gets big Lore bonuses and mages live and die by their max lore amount.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So I'm playing through this for the first time and really enjoying the story and art but holy fucking shit the combat is intolerable shit. Someone fucking explain why my party members randomly disengage from combat (taking damage for doing so..) then run to the middle of fucking nowhere during battles? It's like I'm constantly micromanaging a group of four retards every QUARTER FUCKING SECOND because if I don't pause constantly they're going to run off and get themselves killed.

Thank god (jk god doesn't exist) for "story mode" or whatever they call it that basically lets you win by autoattacking. You'd think that Obsidian would give up on RTwP after 20 fucking years of failed trash combat systems jesus christ.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Someone fucking explain why my party members randomly disengage from combat (taking damage for doing so..) then run to the middle of fucking nowhere during battles? It's like I'm constantly micromanaging a group of four retards every QUARTER FUCKING SECOND because if I don't pause constantly they're going to run off and get themselves killed.

Turn AI off and do it all yourself. :rpgcodex:

Edit: Alternately change the AI setting from "defend party" to "defend self" or even just "passive."

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I tried changing AI settings a bunch and they still did retarded shit constantly. I really don't feel like spending 10 minutes micromanaging 4 party members though.

I think my character's kinda gimped too, I stupidly thought that unarmed would be a viable combat choice since it was one of the options in character creation. Anyway I don't need to pause when on easy difficulty so it's fine now I guess.

The story is damn awesome though, just finished act 1 and the world and characters are super interesting. Happily took the option to
betray both of the retard factions and take over the territory for myself, put a "fuck u" note in the fifth eye dude's hand and kicked him off a ledge sparta style

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried changing AI settings a bunch and they still did retarded shit constantly. I really don't feel like spending 10 minutes micromanaging 4 party members though.

I think my character's kinda gimped too, I stupidly thought that unarmed would be a viable combat choice since it was one of the options in character creation. Anyway I don't need to pause when on easy difficulty so it's fine now I guess.

The story is damn awesome though, just finished act 1 and the world and characters are super interesting. Happily took the option to
betray both of the retard factions and take over the territory for myself, put a "fuck u" note in the fifth eye dude's hand and kicked him off a ledge sparta style

This is TYRANNY!

You did indeed gimp yourself.

Pick a weapon for your next playthrough and go with the chorus or the disfavored—they’re more fleshed out than the anarchist path and more fun than the rebels.

It amazes me how many people here resist going with the Scarlet Chorus. Chaotic evil is the best kind of evil.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

I am going to start playing this one too so I wonder is Unarmed Combat or Unarmed Combat/Vigor a viable option or should I go for another option?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-2-obsidian-paradox

Tyranny 2 is uncertain - but could the series have a future in grand strategy?

When the dust settles on the great RPG revival, Tyranny will be remembered as one of the braver and more fascinating takes on the formula that was first established in the ‘90s. While Pillars of Eternity bore the nostalgic weight of following up Baldur’s Gate, Tyranny allowed Obsidian to experiment with wilder ideas: Soviet-style fantasy empires, and charismatic villains who consumed personalities like hors d'oeuvres.

Paradox bankrolled the whole project, solidifying a relationship with Obsidian that began with publishing Pillars of Eternity. It seemed like a perfect match - yet the studio decided to instead partner with Versus Evil for Pillars of Eternity’s sequel, and all has been quiet on the Tyranny front since a modest expansion last September. What’s to become of this RPG world that is, frankly, too good to waste?

“Obsidian wanted to do Pillars of Eternity II on their own because they had ideas on business terms where we couldn’t agree,” Paradox CEO Fred Wester tells us. “It’s nothing more than that. I really like the Obsidian people and I’m a big fan of their games as well.”

At last year’s PDXCON, the publishers told us that Tyranny sold below their expectations; that “everyone was hoping that it would do better.” But Paradox and Obsidian never fell out according to Wester. In fact, their relationship is perfectly healthy.

“I’m going to have a beer with Feargus Urquhart at E3 this year as usual,” he says. “It’s more that, they want to be more independent and do their own things, and we want to publish things where we are in control. It’s not really compatible on a corporation level. On a personal level, there’s no problem.”

To understand that publisher demand for control, you need to look at the nature of Paradox’s recent success. Part of their explosive growth over the past half a decade has been down to patience - Crusader Kings, Cities, and Europa Universalis are all names that didn’t find a wider audience until two, three, or even four entries in. In order to repeat the trick, Paradox want to own what they work on.

“We always work super long-term,” VP of business development Shams Jorjani says. “If we have the choice of investing in our IP and ourselves, rather than Games Workshop or somebody else’s IP, we’d rather choose ourselves. Us owning IP ends up being just a direct result of us paying for everything. We’re taking all the financial risk, so we should see most of the financial upside as well.”

Reasonable though that might be, it means Obsidian aren’t steering the future of the world they made. If the developers never hash out another deal with Paradox, they’ll never work on Tyranny again. The publishers, meanwhile, don’t yet have any concrete plans to make a Tyranny 2, either internally or with another studio.

“We could do more in that world [but] we haven’t really decided what to do with that IP,” Wester says. “We’ll see where we end up.”

Tyranny might end up in another genre entirely. The game was set in the ugly aftermath of a war, and its opening Conquest Mode had you define the consequences of that conflict on an overworld map using miniatures. It’s not much of a stretch to imagine one of Paradox’s internal teams - the ones behind Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis - running with that premise as a fully-fledged game.

“Just the other day on Twitter, somebody was talking about setting a grand strategy game in the Tyranny universe,” Jorjani notes. “I think that would be cool. We’re absolutely interested in exploring grand fantasy in the strategy space.”

It’s especially intriguing that, without prompting, Wester mentions the same concept too: “If someone in the studio says, ‘I want to make a grand strategy game out of Tyranny’, I would approve that day one.”

Perhaps in the next Tyranny game, we’re more likely to be playing as Kyros than cowering in the Overlord’s shadow.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was initially disappointed by Tyranny because I found the combat so boring but I recently find myself thinking about a second playthrough cause I liked the choices and the world. I'd actually like to see a real Tyranny 2 at this point. Realistically, if the first one already was a disppointment, I doubt a second one will ever happen, particularly since even PoE2 dropped in sales significantly. A Grand Strategy might be an interesting take but only if they keep certain aspects such as the visual style and the choices of the conquest mode they mentioned. If it just ends up a Crusader Kings 2 mod they might as well not bother.

Also funny that they emphasize that Feargus and Paradox relationship is perfectly fine, nothing to see here, please move on :M

Erebus

Arcane
I doubt that a strategy game in the Tyranny setting would stand out very much. It's not like playing a villain is not already possible in many strategy games.

If strategy was just a part of the game, then maybe.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The thing is, Tyranny only does one thing well - the C&C. This has been symptomatic of the new RPGs in general, they just do 1 thing well (sometimes barely). It just isn't enough, especially if you generally put more weight into another aspect that isn't done well. In combat-heavy games like these turned out to be, I think combat is the most important aspect, that's why I managed to barely go through PoE with WM, the combat is playable, but Tyranny's combat bored me to tears and I couldn't go on past a certain point. That's why there are people who can stand Tyranny, because the combat isn't as important to them as to me, they value C&C more. Even if the combat was terrible, other things could've compensated, but they simply don't in this case, C&C on its own doesn't matter when the writing has no substance to it and every choice feels trivial because of that.

Erebus

Arcane
In combat-heavy games like these turned out to be, I think combat is the most important aspect, that's why I managed to barely go through PoE with WM, the combat is playable, but Tyranny's combat bored me to tears and I couldn't go on past a certain point.

I think one of Tyranny's biggest problems is that the enemies are always the same throughout the game. If there was a bit more diversity, combat wouldn't feel so repetitive.

Seriously, just thinking about the banes is making me feel nauseated. There were only three types of banes (plus a boss type), each with specific immunities/vulnerabilities and very basic tactics. And you kept encountering them over and over and over again. And they didn't even have any personality.

Mychkine

Educated
The thing is, Tyranny only does one thing well - the C&C. This has been symptomatic of the new RPGs in general, they just do 1 thing well (sometimes barely). It just isn't enough, especially if you generally put more weight into another aspect that isn't done well. In combat-heavy games like these turned out to be, I think combat is the most important aspect, that's why I managed to barely go through PoE with WM, the combat is playable, but Tyranny's combat bored me to tears and I couldn't go on past a certain point. That's why there are people who can stand Tyranny, because the combat isn't as important to them as to me, they value C&C more. Even if the combat was terrible, other things could've compensated, but they simply don't in this case, C&C on its own doesn't matter when the writing has no substance to it and every choice feels trivial because of that.

I think that, doing one thing well (ou a couple, Tyranny does the magic system well too for instance) can absolutely make for a good game. You just need to know where to stop as to prevent from bloating your game with unpolished and disappointing content. AoD does the C&C and combat well and this is enough to make it a good game. Some japanese companies are good at that : Falcom for instance either produces story heavy games with serviceable combat systems or well-designed action RPGs with serviceable stories. Atlus game series are usually focused on one or two aspects of role playing games and each of those series include classics and few really bad games. IMHO, Western developpers tend to try too much with their games who, more than often, end up with flaws correlated with their overblown ambitions.

Loostreaks

Learned
Isn't tranny's combat more fun to play than pillows though?

There is less enemy variety and how engagement and positioning works is even worse. That said, there is far better feedback, more satisfying visual/audio "flair", better build/abilities "synergy", resistances are more relevant, less "bloated" with micro management.
Turn based version with more enemy types, better AI and encounter design, would be downright excellent.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How is it less bloated in the micro department when you have to keep track of a bajillion cooldowns? Cooldowns are MMO cancer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom