Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Free anniversary gift pack (portraits and items), base price reduction ($44.99 -> $29.99) and 50% off sale, and also complete Gold Edition is available.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ranny-two-year-anniversary-gift-pack.1127344/

index.php

Two years has passed since we brought Tyranny to the land of Terratus where your choices would shape the fate of many. In celebration of this we're bringing a FREE update to all our players in form of two new portraits and some gear!

If you have yet to join the ranks of Kyros you can do so right now at 50% OFF in the Steam Weekend Deal

We will also be giving away some copies of the NEW Tyranny Gold Edition for free on our Anniversary stream starting RIGHT NOW: https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Quillon

Arcane
Makes me wonder if this update was done by Obsidian or Paradox Arctic.

Obs didn't even re-tweet anything Tyranny related out of courtesy or whatever. Relations must be really bad between Obs & Pdx. Points for MCA; cut their supply line to europe, has been leaking critical intel from the evul HQ thanks to his agents still undercover but now the HQ is about to be fortified! Will MCA pull out his men or sacrifice them for the greater good?

2house2fly

Magister
I loaded up my copy of Tyranny to check, and yep- save files gone. Hilarious. This is why you make it a free DLC guys, not a patch

Erebus

Arcane
I remember there being some talk that they had cut out the last chapter, I wonder if that's true.

It certainly feels very rushed. The showdowns with the Archons should have been much more developed (the one with Tunon is decent, but the other three are utterly disappointing).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm starting to like this game, killing babies have never been this fun.

Game definitely has high points, like how all those reputations and decisions you make actually do come into play, but it's just so half-baked in many other aspects. For example, why did they even give you multiple Spires? I barely visited the first one once the novelty wore off. I'm also not sure how far into the game you are but you unlock something pretty major towards the end only for said feature to just kinda... linger in there? Let's not even go into utterly disappointing enemy encounter design because I hope you like fighting against melee dude, archer dude and wizard dude + occasional spirit.

turkishronin

Arcane
I hope you like fighting against melee dude, archer dude and wizard dude + occasional spirit.

Wizards are pretty rare and I'm pretty much fighting only stick-wielding humans and spooks all the time. It's starting to wear me down since my build is fighter.
I don't know what those Spires are for, are they some kind of stronghold? I just hired a merchant there and only use the place for rest.
Also itemization seems a bit dull to me. Rare items and artifacts are not that powerful compared to things you can buy from merchants so they don't feel unique.

turkishronin

Arcane
I don't know how the skill system here works. Halfway through the game I was basically passing every single Lore check without having a single mage in party. Also despite my main character being a dumb fighter I passed most Subterfuge tests too. Assuming it uses the highest skill in the party, It feels pretty dumb for a literal beast to be able to convince people to do her bidding just because her stealth ability is high. It's TToN all over again.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know how the skill system here works. Halfway through the game I was basically passing every single Lore check without having a single mage in party. Also despite my main character being a dumb fighter I passed most Subterfuge tests too. Assuming it uses the highest skill in the party, It feels pretty dumb for a literal beast to be able to convince people to do her bidding just because her stealth ability is high. It's TToN all over again.

It’s learn by doing. Checks in conversation only apply to your main character. Ones on the map can be done by anyone.

But yes, the lore, subterfuge and athletics checks in dialogue are too low.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
All of the skill checks scale directly with character level, and the scaling multiplier is very low.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tyranny's ending is perfectly acceptable with the patched side-with-Kyros option. :smug:
That ending arguably makes even less sense due to the narrative leading up to it. It might just be all the other nonsense issues that gives that impression, however, meaning that this stands out as extra shitty.
... I played an Imperial loyalist ... and I love my C&C.
As someone that from the get-go tried to play a loyalist (or at least a reluctant loyalist) without being pants-on-head retarded kick-the-puppy evil (i.e. trying to make the best of a bad situation), I must ask: Are you fucking high? Outside of the Conquest mechanic, what "C&C"?

I played entire game as Kyros loylist and was not forced to make one thing which was objectively evil. Sure the oathbrakers and rebels all fallen under my blade but they had choice to surrender a plenty and the former betrayed and massacred Kyros Garrison so get the treatment traitor scum with no honor always received. You could even RP your Oathbinder as compassionate chap there to ease the burden put on Kyros subjects provided you had enough lore ( and hence being not moron Judge who knew his law). Moreover I don't see a realistic way in which someone raised in North and put by Kyros high in society would betray his or her Emperor and Deity by siding with southern rebel scum who were not only alien to him or her but also proven inferior by the way how quickly and easily the tiers have fallen. There were no Northern guilt in Bronze age. There was also plenty of C&C aside from conquest from the way which companions you pick to the which allies you will have. Its at least four games in one.

Last edited:
Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
The most insufferable thing about this game is that the most important dungeon of the game, Oldwall, has only ONE type of enemy. A whole vast dungeon with only some spooks attacking you. It's a huge waste.

This always gets to me. If you have a 3D model and texture for Generic Mook #42, and all its other assets (rigging, animations, pathfinding AI, combat scripts, etc.), then why the hell can't you clone the enemy, resize its proportions a bit, tweak the texture, warp its voiced barks by running them through audio editing software, give it a new name, and generally pack the whole pinata into a new package? It's essentially the same thing, but with a twist. So instead of seeing literally the same single mook throughout the entire dungeon, you'd have slight variations on it, but it would be enough to add an additional layer of immersion and visual diversity.

Blizzard abused this in Diablo 1&2, and they did it to great effect! One could argue that sprites are much easier to tweak since they're baked 2D images, but the same applies to 3D assets as well. Sure, it takes a bit more work, but nowhere near the amount needed to create a new enemy from scratch. You could clone a mook ten ways to Sunday, and have an entire army of them in a week. It's not an ideal solution -- since in an ideal scenario you'd have the time and budget to populate encounters with unique enemies -- but it's still leagues better than just copy-pasting one single fucking enemy through the whole dungeon. It makes even more sense to apply asset cloning to mobs like guards or soldiers, since those types of mobs usually wear helms, and with just a bit of slight resizing and RGB manipulation of their textures you get a brand new enemy to fight who carries a higher rank.

Just goes to show you how creatively bankrupt the company is, when they can't even 'cheat' their way via asset manipulation to add more flare and life to their game.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This always gets to me. If you have a 3D model and texture for Generic Mook #42, and all its other assets (rigging, animations, pathfinding AI, combat scripts, etc.), then why the hell can't you clone the enemy, resize its proportions a bit, tweak the texture, warp its voiced barks by running them through audio editing software, give it a new name, and generally pack the whole pinata into a new package? It's essentially the same thing, but with a twist. So instead of seeing literally the same single mook throughout the entire dungeon, you'd have slight variations on it, but it would be enough to add an additional layer of immersion and visual diversity.

They do this, though. when people say there's only one type of enemy in the oldwalls, they mean there are three or four very similar enemies. there's the blue wisp and the red wisp and the big blue wisp and the big red wisp, and they have slightly different attacks and different weaknesses. The vast majority of the game involves fighting human enemies that are tweaked just as you describe.

While there are some fundamentally bad design choices, like the cooldown based combat that devolves into spell-spamming, most of what's wrong with the game comes down to the fact that it's unfinished because Obsidian looted the Tyranny budget to pay for POE and Deadfire.

Also itemization seems a bit dull to me. Rare items and artifacts are not that powerful compared to things you can buy from merchants so they don't feel unique.

wait till you get to the end, you'll have more legendary artifacts than you know what to do with. and not much chance to use them because Chapters 3-5 were compressed into a single rushed chapter 3.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So I finally played it and enjoyed it a lot actually. Took me exactly 100 hours and of course I turned on all the Archons (except Bleden Mark).

I liked the beginning the least and then it got really interesting and sort of stayed that way to the end. I though that it had a good length and stretching it out even more may not have been a good idea. Though that final battle or campaign against the Overlord was certainly a missing piece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom