Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why havent another competitor build their own video platform? Is the entet barrier high and expensive and there is no way you gonna beat YouTube's userbase?

Bocian

Arcane
Both Bastard's Wound and the "Tyranny+BW" Bundle are listed in Steam's current Top Sellers. Curious to see for how long.

Pqap4EccS6CSyf0y_79EyQ.png

Everyone who was interested in the game is buying it now. After those people get it it will disappear forever.

Turjan

Arcane
the game flopping didn't prevent them from releasing a series of pictures as paid DLC...
That was just a typical Paradox cash grab, and it was one they didn't believe in themselves. Or why else did they throw that picture DLC as a throwaway item into a humble bundle even before release? It was a promo item.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The fact that it adds midgame content without much connection to the rest of the game smacks of cut content resold as DLC.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Both Bastard's Wound and the "Tyranny+BW" Bundle are listed in Steam's current Top Sellers. Curious to see for how long.

Pqap4EccS6CSyf0y_79EyQ.png

Everyone who was interested in the game is buying it now. After those people get it it will disappear forever.

I'll buy it in a few years when I can get the complete package for 10 bucks in a sale lol.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
And still outselling Tides of Numenera which is just delightful. Obsidian phoning it in outperformed inXile giving it their all.
Torment: Tides of Numenera demonstrated the difference between a David Zeb Cook setting and a Monte Cook setting, as well as a game written by Chris Avellone and one written by Colin McComb. I wouldn't interpret it as an indication of the relative merits of Obsidian versus inXile.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Arguing which Decline is worse is a bit futile because PoE, Tyranny and Torment are all bad.

e: Imagine a bunch of blind devs and nerds groping around in a box of old RPGs and each one coming up with a different idea of what makes RPGs good. You know, just like with the elephant.

roll-a-die

Magister
Did they buff the shit out of the archer NPC's or am I just fucking dumb? There's this encounter in the early stages of the game, that has 3 archers that are each taking off about a 3rd of Barriks health each hit. Fucking hurts, and basically the encounter has resulted in me basically trying to cheese it, because of them being able to basically 1 2 3 4 my party in a hail of arrows. And they never are close enough for my CC focused mage to actually, y'know CC. Especially when casting a spell results in 3 arrow instagib from them.

Playing PoTD if that helps.

roll-a-die

Magister
Fuck it I don't think I'm supposed to be going this direction right now anyway. It's probably that I made my way to a higher level encounter that for some reason is just waxing my ass.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Fuck it I don't think I'm supposed to be going this direction right now anyway. It's probably that I made my way to a higher level encounter that for some reason is just waxing my ass.

There are no high-level encounters in this game - it all scales to your level at the start of location. Those archers are raping baric because, first, he's a weak-ass faggot who is useless in combat and, second, they're sorta glass cannons with tremendous damage. You either take them out fast or they finish you.

Actually, I'm not sure if that was changed, but right now PoTD is kinda broken and requires very, very precise and thorough leveling if you don't want to suffer too much. If you level in a wrong fashion (and that's way too easy), your party actually degrades with each level gained. And you probably can corner yourself into position where only relentless kiting will help.

roll-a-die

Magister

There are no high-level encounters in this game - it all scales to your level at the start of location. Those archers are raping baric because, first, he's a weak-ass faggot who is useless in combat and, second, they're sorta glass cannons with tremendous damage. You either take them out fast or they finish you.

Actually, I'm not sure if that was changed, but right now PoTD is kinda broken and requires very, very precise and thorough leveling if you don't want to suffer too much. If you level in a wrong fashion (and that's way too easy), your party actually degrades with each level gained. And you probably can corner yourself into position where only relentless kiting will help.
Great, no reason to play this then for me at least. Jeeze I was wondering what was up. As much as I love(I don't) these games, they have this horrible habit of being either way too fucking hard bordering on the masochism of a souls-like without the intricate design that makes souls-likes interesting, or way too fucking easy, without the flashing spectacle of a better easy game. And there's no middle ground. With any of the modern Infinity Engine Style games. And the line between Hard(IE: Way too fucking easy.) and PoTD is really intense, and it's like the dificulty goes in single steps for easy medium hard then just jumps 6 or 7 for path of the damned.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Got Tyranny for free from the Paradox price increase kerfuffle, played through it once and enjoyed it enough to pay 15 local currency for the DLC and play it again. Solid 7/10 gaming experience, would play again in a year or 5. Dialogue trees in the expansion seems a bit finicky though, handed in a quest a couple of times only for some option in the tree to get the NPC to ask me to do whatever quest I just handed in again. Didn't actually show up again in the quest log though, so no harm done. And the "click on remote buttons across a chasm because you can" is a bit of a mindfuck the first 30 minutes, not sure what the added value of that mechanic was supposed to be. Years of isometric games have thought me just following the path in a dungeon should contain everything I need to advance, and not that a point I can see that I'll likely advance to later has the thing to click on that allows me to advance.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Eh, you should be fine as long as you're not spreading yourself too thin. Most builds should work reasonably well. But going "Jack-of-all-trades" kinda character is definately a bad idea. So is testing various playstyles which, while possible, will dilute your build. Focusing on a few select skills is key.

Oh and as long as you focus on Lore if you want to cast spells.
Of course, using skill trainers to the max on almost every level is highly advisable.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Haplo

what's the most minmaxed fatebinder build for a PotD run, also please include ability picks for companions

roll-a-die

Magister

Eh, you should be fine as long as you're not spreading yourself too thin. Most builds should work reasonably well. But going "Jack-of-all-trades" kinda character is definately a bad idea. So is testing various playstyles which, while possible, will dilute your build. Focusing on a few select skills is key.

Of course, using skill trainers to the max on almost every level is highly advisable.
My problem was mostly this, the first 3 party members they give you, are Barrik, Verse and Embry(Scholar Dude) I was playing a mage. Anytime my maincharacter popped it's little squishy head up the archers all simultaneously drew their bows back and started to fire. It took 2 of their arrows to basically kill my character, and then their next auto attack usually killed them anyway. After I died, then embry got two shot, then verse got 3-5 shot, then Barrik is standing there meleeing one of the archers for near 0 damage even though I've specc'd him into damage. And I just fucking seethe.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
aweigh

Well, not sure. Been a while since I played it and I didn't exactly perfectly optimize my character. Still, I was quite happy with my Fatebinder.

Went with a caster/melee hybrid. Spellcrafting was very fun for me, though sometimes broken. Most important was Lore focus, as I mentioned - try to use Lore trainers on every level, keep any Lore increasing items, hoard Lore consumables. And do bring Lantry along. His Lore boosts make him the best NPC.
Carrying a shield and a low recovery dagger. Light armor, only slightly heavier then robes. Max Finesse early on to become difficult to hit in light armor. Then focus on Wits. Quickness isn't important, you'll be rotating a ton of spells and abilities, so individual cooldowns are meh.
Get the early Agility Talent that lets you Parry arrows (Arrow Shield). Parry is your next skill to max. Whenever you can't train Lore, train Parry instead.
Magic skills (and maybe one-handed if you care about that) will generally raise on their own as you use them. Forget about magic staffs. They are too slow, don't offer protection or any particular benefits outside of levelling the skill connected to the element they are enchanted with.
Talents? The most important Talents are the ones that give you (or you and your party) extra spell slots. They are located in Magic and Leadership trees. I've also found shield Mastery usefull to increase Parry. Iron Light as Air was nice for short bursts of speed casting.
I've actually got Empowered Chaos late game for shits and giggles and it was... kinda fun. But definately not necessary. Most other Talents in the Magic tree are a waste. You also don't really need any active attack Talents, as your spells will usually be superior.
I guess Duelist Riposte could be fun, as you should be missed often. Melee attacks get crazy buffed with Vampiric Weapon (or other elemental Material Force buff) + Vulcanic Weapons. This ignores base weapon damage and provides full effect (in cone aoe) with every strike. Of course works best with dual-wielding and multi-hit abilities (Verse is really good with that!).

Early on I've got the most mileage of the Frost spells (both Distant Impact Rimespike with Limitless Boundaries to increase its smallish aoe and Channeled Strenght Icicle Storm with Piercing Strenght, particularly with Frostfire sigil to target the weaker resistance and debuff the enemies BOTH with burning and frozen effects). When possible I also used Stenght and Precise Action to increase magnitude/hit+crit chance. When I got Chaotic Descent and got enough Lore to use it, I often used the huge aoes Scorching Missiles and Thunderstorm when they came off their (long) cooldowns. Focused Rain made them sooo much better. Moar missiless striking a much smaller area? Yes please. Also used Limitless Boundaries to increase the aoe sizes of individual missiles. Plus Acid Rain with Bleeding for some extra DOTs.

End game I continued the Chaotic Descent carnage, cause you never get anything cooler, but in practice Bouncing really made a difference in spell effectiveness when I finally found sigils of Bounding Bolts I and II (which was late, I missed them earlier). Early spells like Fireball with Volleys (3 fireballs instead of one) + Bouncing II just destroys enemies (each bounce causes an aoe...)... and those spells are on short cooldown too.

Plus buffs (group, mainly on party members' spellslots), such as Haste, Spectral Blur, Surge of Glory, already mentioned Vampiric+Vulcanic weapons, Healing Aura. Sometimes Wave of Despair debuff on enemy, if I feel like it.

So yeah, Finesse, light armor, preferably Parry with Shield, max Lore and cause magic mayhem. Might be difficult early on PotD... and the earlier Bane fights were particualrly painfull (they basically ignore all your defences, make sure to target their elemental weaknesses at least + Terratus spells hurt them more I think), but it all became a breeze afterwards. Spellslinging was very fun and rewarding. I also has a TON of companion combos (that I ended up rarely using, as most were weaker then spell and occupied 2 characters), faction abilities and artifact abilities. So yeah, after the beginning you're never short on abilities to rotate. Rather, there's too many.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

My problem was mostly this, the first 3 party members they give you, are Barrik, Verse and Embry(Scholar Dude) I was playing a mage. Anytime my maincharacter popped it's little squishy head up the archers all simultaneously drew their bows back and started to fire. It took 2 of their arrows to basically kill my character, and then their next auto attack usually killed them anyway. After I died, then embry got two shot, then verse got 3-5 shot, then Barrik is standing there meleeing one of the archers for near 0 damage even though I've specc'd him into damage. And I just fucking seethe.

I see. Well, I did find Barric quite useless. But my caster/melee hybrid Fatebinder was fortunately quite durable. So I could take a little heat myself. Light Armor + max Finesse gives great Deflection. Plus Shield Parry bonuses (with Parry Arrows) and your set. Mage staffs are useless anyway, as beyond the beginning you should almost never auto-attack (unless you really feel like it, preferably with Vulcanic Weapons and Light as Air attack spam).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
aweigh
For companions I recommend Verse (a bit squishy, debatable, but can be a beast), Lantry (best caster=best NPC) and Siren (fairly good caster + buffs/debuffs at the same time).
All characters max Finesse and wear light armor.

For Verse I think Duelist tree offers way more damage. Key Talents: Killing Spree and Blood Calls to Blood. Evasive and Nimble from Skirmisher would be good.

Lantry should focus on Sage. Key Talents: Loremaster, Voice of Ages, Learned Instructor, Ancient Knowledge. Also pick Greater Renewal from Preservation. Maybe also Arcane Shield and Second Breath.

For Sirin War tree is offensively stronger. Should pick Inspiration from the Peace tree, along with maybe Aria of Resolve and Disarming Guise.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
And still outselling Tides of Numenera which is just delightful. Obsidian phoning it in outperformed inXile giving it their all.
Torment: Tides of Numenera demonstrated the difference between a David Zeb Cook setting and a Monte Cook setting, as well as a game written by Chris Avellone and one written by Colin McComb. I wouldn't interpret it as an indication of the relative merits of Obsidian versus inXile.

This isn't true at all. TTON demonstrated the serious and real differences between InEx project management "really shitty turn based sequences, heaps of wasted man hours and planning" and nuObsidian project management which is "we can rip out Tyranny in 24 months and it will be not complete garbage unlike TTON's turn based combat"

Also I'm whacking my head for the truth and reconciliation quest later in the story, there's just no scroll in fractured

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Haplo

i usually detest making my main character a spellslinger in an rpg like this but i have to agree that Tyranny's spellcrafting (and spell usage) is indeed supremely cool.

i asked because i have only played it once to act 3 on Hard, have never bothered finishing it as i grew bored with it, but now i am extra bored and feel like doing the Bastard's Wound area and I figure might as well restart it on PotD. i remember that it wasn't until I played PoE on PotD that I actually enjoyed the game so i was kind of hoping the same will be true with Tyranny.

(although I already know it won't be true).

the paradigm shift in builds for PoE PotD were quite organic (massive focusing on accuracy and deflection, etc) so I ask because Tyranny's incompetent character advancement is so limited I wanted to avoid restarting it on PotD only to run into tedious encounters that I won't be motivated to push through because I didn't spec correctly.

unlike PoE, it seems very easy in Tyranny to make a build that will make the game too tedious to play.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Tranny's spellcasting simply adds a middle-man. The major glyphs are spell schools, with the middle one you choose what utility it has (AoE, single-target etc.) and everything after that is metamagic. The spells are already predefined before this, obviously, you just do manual labor to be able to actually cast them.

unlike PoE, it seems very easy in Tyranny to make a build that will make the game too tedious to play.

If you don't focus on accuracy in PoE on PotD you are going to have a bad time, so there is a way to fuck up your build. It is harder, though, yeah, because you gain accuracy just by leveling up, but you still need to focus some of your feats on that.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
mediocre is a p. apt word for this expansion.

the bastard wound stuff is pretty much:
go to the new location > "hey, help us pick a leader" "ok" > boring oldwalls dungeon crawl > "this is who i pick as the leader" - the end

seriously, it has barely a handful of quests, none of which are exciting.

the companion quests are better but not by much. Lentry's is tedious trash, Barik's is exactly what you'd expect and nothing more, and Verse's doesn't really have an ending.

it all feels as rushed and incomplete as the base game itself.

oh, and as for the new game ending, it doesn't necessarily invalidate the original's sequel bait. a few characters posit that you're just postponing the inevitable and Kyros will eventually attack.

and speaking of that content patch, what the fuck was all in it? the thing was like 1 ~ 1.5 gigabytes big but seemed to add very little.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
yeah, i knew the general bullet points. i was looking for some more in depth but neither obsidian or paradox seem to be forthcoming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom