Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Whatever you do, start by maxing Finesse though. Unless you want to go heavy armor for some reason.
It would also be nice to learn some Illusion and cast Blur in every encounter for even higher deflection.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Yeah Mystary I see what you mean I wasn't looking for min-max methods, in my case it's more finding advice not to do anything stupid. Just like I just did by choosing greatsword and then warmace, thinking I would then focus on 2h and progress faster.
But I have the feeling the downside with that is that I have access to less talent trees than if I had taken greatsword and then dial wield. Well, if I understand correctly...

I don't kniow how I do that but again I've successed in making a boring char.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah Mystary I see what you mean I wasn't looking for min-max methods, in my case it's more finding advice not to do anything stupid. Just like I just did by choosing greatsword and then warmace, thinking I would then focus on 2h and progress faster.
But I have the feeling the downside with that is that I have access to less talent trees than if I had taken greatsword and then dial wield. Well, if I understand correctly...

I don't kniow how I do that but again I've successed in making a boring char.

As far as I recall, you have access to the same trees regardless of the weapons you choose during character creation... all that changes is your starting skill values and whether you start with 0, 1, or 2 talents in a given tree. (i.e. choosing greatsword, then warmace, gives you two talents in the power tree. choosing greatsword, then dual wield would have given you one each in the power and agility trees).
Even when doing something like bow, I'm still choosing talents/traits from other trees as I level (like leadership and power for crit bonus); you can mouse over any of the traits and see what weapons it effects.

You gain points in a skill as you use it, so choosing the same weapon twice doesn't negatively impact you if you're planning to use that weapon. (There is some suggestion that it actually helps you level faster because quest rewards give you a certain number of skill increases that is then distributed amongst any skills you have that are above 0 in rank... meaning having more skills makes the per-skill increase smaller (because you're having to divide the skill xp by more skills) than if you had fewer skills)

Also, I've found most of the characters end up feeling boring. :P And basically magic is so OP that it makes weapon skills seem less than necessary (even if you're getting good damage, more often than not it's because of buffs and/or passives you've gained from the magic tree)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
can someone please explain to me why so many of the enemies in this game let me break up their encounters so much? It's like I'm playing a baldur's gate game, ganking 1-2 enemies at a time

Same reason why combat is the way it is, the designers don't care.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've just finished the game this weekend – and I got a question to you all – don't you think the plot structure is very similar to KOTOR or Mass Effect 1?

You have: first location (pack of quests and chars) -> find a powerful artifact (srat forge, prothean data disc, spire) -> intermediate location (jedi academy, citadel, bastard city) -> you can pick 1 out of 3 next locations (with their own quest and chars) and collect and artifact at each one -> intermediate location -> mini-boss -> final location -> final boss.

Would you agree that all the 3 games I list above follow this pattern?

Yes, but, we're looking at a model that is about as generic as, say, Van Gennep's model of rite of passage. So yes, I'd say it's very similar to KOTOR (haven't played Mass Effect), but I think it's also the same as saying, Tyranny has a very generic banal RPG structure.

More damning, we could say that it specifically employs the Bioware Trope where the game really blatantly and mechanically says "here are 3/4 places that are basically identical with different names and textures go and get the macguffin", of which the most ridiculous rendition is in NWN1 OC (where you literally came across a symmetrical four-way intersection and took north/west/east paths to the 3 macguffins or something, I believe). At least KOTOR1/2 dressed it up a bit, and the actual gameplay of what you did in each place was also a bit different. The Anarchy playthrough is a lot more like NWN since it's just "hey you got item A now go get item B".

Dwarvophile game is super easy and easier than POE so do whatever you want. Mages are more spectacular and involved, which would equal more fun if the combat wasn't so shit. A mild powergaming tip = double down on your main skill in character creation to get two talents, and don't bother picking a magical skill at creation even if you want to be a mage. Picking magic gives you a free sigil (e.g. of frost), but they are super cheap and found in first 20 minutes of game (except for atrophy which sucks anyway).

I think it improved a lot over Pillars in terms of loading times (on my potato) but I have to say that the new update for TTON has the fastest loading times.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
The game is much better than PoE.

I think almost everything is better than PoE, I liked the dialogue with the hyperlinks or whatever, liked the combat much better, loved the magic system, liked the story overall and the lore.

Tho I kinda didn't like how the quests gets liner to fit the factions you work with, for example if you work for Disfavored you can only kill everything, don't think there is any diplomacy. Chorus you feed Nerat, you can't even stray from that at all unless you want to betray them completely. Rebels, you have to go against Kyros directly, no option to stay loyal while being diplomatic. Anarchist I kinda enjoyed it the most, I think you could ally with some of the factions maybe and you can also kill everyone and go nuts.

Side quest is also kinda of a meh for the most part.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I think almost everything is better than PoE, I liked the dialogue with the hyperlinks or whatever, liked the combat much better, loved the magic system, liked the story overall and the lore.

Tho I kinda didn't like how the quests gets liner to fit the factions you work with, for example if you work for Disfavored you can only kill everything, don't think there is any diplomacy. Chorus you feed Nerat, you can't even stray from that at all unless you want to betray them completely. Rebels, you have to go against Kyros directly, no option to stay loyal while being diplomatic. Anarchist I kinda enjoyed it the most, I think you could ally with some of the factions maybe and you can also kill everyone and go nuts.

the problem with this game is the last act that was rushed as fuck.

Sizzle

Arcane

Well, that and the god-awful, dull, piss-easy combat.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well, that and the god-awful, dull, piss-easy combat.
yeah. it was far easier than PoE.

i play PoE on normal, got troubles sometimes, always got trouble during dragon fights.

tyranny i played on hard and the only time i lost is against that early boss in the lethian crossing tower. i beat all the archons in the first try.

also enemy variety or lack thereof.

otherwise world and writing is better than Poe imo

Jarmaro

Liturgist
This game has problem with "decisions". I played it months ago, but even now I remember how bad it was sometimes.
Example: Lethiana's crossing. You have to judge in a conflict of soldier and merchant. So, as I wanted to act as law allows me to, I wanted to know who has law behind him. They both told me they have. And I couldn't know who's lying beceause game didn't allow me to ask. Even worse was consequence, one option gave good reputation with Tunon, archont of justice, second gave bad reputation. You couldn't predict which was right.

And reputation? You could have both special companions skills of favor and fear, no problem with rising both.

Spoiler about reputation:
Game had problem with using reputation system as well. Entire game I tried to act as lawfull as I could, eventually at the end of the game Tunon made trial in which he judged if I was lawfull or not. In the end he is about to make sentence and... Instead of remembering if I was actually lawfull or not the only thing that mattered was reputation. I could use my power and postition for my own and yet if I had enough of tunon's favor I was the good guy. Spit in the face.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This game is much better than PoE. Really like the dialog links and the skill trees.

Starting my second gameplay.

Malpercio

Arcane
Now I need to look for another Mcguffin. Jesus, this chapter 2 is awful.

Also new quests out of nowhere in areas you already scouted are meh designs.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Played a solo murderhobo anarchist run as a unarmed combatant and switched later into magic buffs. Highest difficulty.
After 1st third of the game i would just buff myself and autoattack everything to death with flaming fists.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Played a solo murderhobo anarchist run as a unarmed combatant and switched later into magic buffs. Highest difficulty.
After 1st third of the game i would just buff myself and autoattack everything to death with flaming fists.

Anything with magic is easy mode. Best chance of a challenge (and by mid-game it's not, but whatever), is no magic users, no magic talents. The difficulty of the game is borked even without it, but the spell system makes everythnig a joke.

Xeon

Augur
Oh yeah, the companions Loyalty and Fear choices a lot of times are pretty dumb. They get butthurt about every little thing no matter what is the choice, they can't be reasoned with. Slider also doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

Barik getting pissed about me betraying the Disfavor that's good, him getting pissed about every diplomacy or compromise with an enemy no matter what is kinda dumb, at least you can sometimes steer him of with a skill check but not sure how frequent that is.

Verse and Lantry were kinda great. Rest get triggered a lot unless its not based on their agenda.

Is the fear thing, is me fearing them or them fearing me? I thought it was the first but looking at the ending its me fearing them, which isn't all that great. I am an Archon and somehow I fear them, kinda of a joke.

Same thing with the Favor and Wrath, some factions have a stick up their ass and get triggered about every little thing.

Not sure how they'll make a sequel tho if they ever plan to make one, the story is still on going but the companions and factions and locations had their proper endings for the most part.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I've tried to think about possible sequels storyi, it is 90% we will play in diffrent location, but what about towers? We most probably find another ones, but what happens to first 5? They got destroyed? We don't have powers at the beggining of the game? There must be proggresion thorugh the game, thus we can't have acces to our powers on start. We can't load saves and continue beceause of level proggresion in first game, it wouldn't be possible.

I can't fool myself, they will come up with"Kyros made edict and you lost everything, you lose every skill, companion and item for no reason, have fun!"

Xeon

Augur
Don't edict you cast cost power? They probably set that to zero and you need to replenish or something. I think there are 10 Spires overall. The next story is probably us dealing with the Northen lands.

In the portrat there is a bar that raises with things you do and Artifact you acquire and IIRC casting an edict of Storm cost 500.

Will be kinda neat to make the endings of Tyranny 1 imported to Tyranny 2. That gotta be a lot of work tho, since just for companions there are probably 4+ endings for each and not counting factions big and small. I am not counting on it but will be great if things affect the sequel.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Don't edict you cast cost power? They probably set that to zero and you need to replenish or something
As I remember, the power bar was kinda stupid, beceause I thought it only shows how much known our character is, and then at the end we use it as power resource to making edicts. But I don't remember if it was game mechanics that did that to prevent making edicts whenever we want and as many as we want. Game lore tells us that fame is power resource, but it was probably never said that we can make edicts beceause people know us. Yet, that "fame power" applies only to Archonts, and we actually are not true archonts, we just use towers. It's only kyros and others that say we are archont to know what they are dealing with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom