Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
In a world where better action RPGs already exist such as Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, this game will only become a classic for the controversy surrounding it. This behaviour of the Codex puzzles me to no end. What is that thing, in Obsidian and its mediocre games, which is so triggering? I feel that it is some innate sense of betrayal. One expects Obsidian with its big developer names would come up with really good games and they only produce practically market trash equivalents all the time; good games mind you; perfectly playable, but trash none the less. But since you people expect them to be above 'the cut' I suspect the rage is that much stronger.

What the codex needs is an acceptance, that even if some of these people were ever any good at designing games, for any combination of reasons (market forces to serendipity to decline) they are no longer so. With that acknowledgement, there will be a collective solace and we can all sing kumbaya together dancing naked around Canadian wildfires.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
meh. I am one of those people who believe Dragon Age : Origins was a good game. Can't lie with myself. It was not a revolutionary masterpiece, but there was nothing inherently wrong with it. Same with PoE and Tyranny.

Prime Junta

meh. I am one of those people who believe Dragon Age : Origins was a good game. Can't lie with myself. It was not a revolutionary masterpiece, but there was nothing inherently wrong with it. Same with PoE and Tyranny.

I've tried damn hard to like DA:O. Apart from the cooldowns and the tiered loot (which are venial rather than mortal sins), there isn't anything actively offensive about it, compared to most other things out there. It's just that it's so ... I dunno, plodding and predictable about everything. It ticks all the boxes but does nothing beyond that. It's like there's no passion of any kind in it.

Pillars OTOH is very good by now, and while hugely uneven there is a certain amount of passion about it. You can tell the systems are designed by a systems nerd and the setting by a history nerd (same nerd in this case). Tyranny too is somebody's labour of love: all that branching story, the offbeat setting, and thought that went into how stuff works in it wasn't tick-all-the-boxes necessary, somebody wanted to do it. I respect that. If they hadn't done such a faceplant on the mechanics and moment-to-moment gameplay, it would have been a fine game.

Bonerbill

Augur

Isn't Codex's opinion on DA:O usually positive? I know a lot of people here like the combat system better than other games with RTwP. I personally think the game is overrated, but I can see why a lot of people like it.

Trashos

Arcane
I've tried damn hard to like DA:O. Apart from the cooldowns and the tiered loot (which are venial rather than mortal sins), there isn't anything actively offensive about it, compared to most other things out there. It's just that it's so ... I dunno, plodding and predictable about everything. It ticks all the boxes but does nothing beyond that. It's like there's no passion of any kind in it.

Pillars OTOH is very good by now, and while hugely uneven there is a certain amount of passion about it. You can tell the systems are designed by a systems nerd and the setting by a history nerd (same nerd in this case). Tyranny too is somebody's labour of love: all that branching story, the offbeat setting, and thought that went into how stuff works in it wasn't tick-all-the-boxes necessary, somebody wanted to do it. I respect that. If they hadn't done such a faceplant on the mechanics and moment-to-moment gameplay, it would have been a fine game.

Imo, DAO looks like there were some passionate people involved, but they were ultimately overrun by the corporate reality. Still, it is a decent game, and I would rate it much higher if I were not instictively comparing it to BG2.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

I guess we can chalk this up to our opinions end where feelings begin regions. I thought PoE was totally plodding and completely boring. The combat was repetitive, and story uninspiring.

Tigranes

Arcane
Nearly done with the playthrough, and honestly, at this point I'm only finishing it so I can KODEX REVIEW it (and I still have faint hope the trial might have a couple of decent moments). I'm pretty positive about Act 1 except for retardocombat, but literally everything about the game is a steaming pile of shit after Act 1. They needed to cut game length and plot scope by at least half.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
at this point I'm only finishing it so I can KODEX REVIEW it

7aEeHR.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If aweigh, who has been a member of the Codex since 2005 and has spent countless hours translating CRPGs into English, can't get reviews published, then what hope is there for the rest of us? :M

Latro

Arcane
aweigh:

-cool bro
-good taste
-contributes real things to the crpg community
-expert in his craft
-good name
-nice guy

prune cunta:

-goon
-rpgwatcher
-hates us
-we hate him
-dumb fag
-why is he even here?
-does he have any friends here

yet pruney loony gets front page VIP access!

what a world

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Insane burn from duanth123
Prime Junta and his cronies should leave the site, if that means we get no more of cuntas reviews, then we won 2 twice.
I didn't read the review, because I lost my interest in Tranny weeks ago, but I thought the idea of the forum is to be able to freely present different opinions, that being a contrarian is not a bad thing. It serves very little purpose if we only want to read things that we already agree with, about the views to which we already subscribe. Thus calling for someone to be ousted, silenced is just weak.

I would reckon a larger, more general problem is to call something the RPGCodex review, since it can be at most an RPGCodex review.

Even if I am skeptic that anyone would change much their position on an issue based on what they read on an Internet forum, it is sometimes refreshing hear arguments you don't agree with, for instance, a statement - which I can only assume is against what is the prevailing opinon among Codexers - that it is not certain that everything Hitler did was good for the mankind. I myself find that perfectly credible, but I must admit I am probably in the minority here.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
I didn't read the review, because I lost my interest in Tranny weeks ago, but I thought the idea of the forum is to be able to freely present different opinions, that being a contrarian is not a bad thing. It serves very little purpose if we only want to read things that we already agree with, about the views to which we already subscribe. Thus calling for someone to be ousted, silenced is just weak.

I would reckon a larger, more general problem is to call something the RPGCodex review, since it can be at most a RPGCodex review.

Even if I am skeptic that anyone would change much their position on an issue based on what they read on an Internet forum, it is sometimes refreshing hear arguments you don't agree with, for instance, a statement - which I can only assume is against what is the prevailing opinon among Codexers - that it is not certain that everything Hitler did was good for the mankind. I myself find that perfectly credible, but I must admit I am probably in the minority here.
I would agree if it wasnt because the reviews are indulging on blatant lies and misinformation. and dont even reflect the reviewers real views an opinion on the game.
And i consider my solemn duty to call these assholes on their bullshit, by mocking them and other assorted ways of shitposting.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In a world where better action RPGs already exist such as Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, this game will only become a classic for the controversy surrounding it.

While I realize that is removed from the context, which has a quite different focus, this has triggered me. It is really too much, as comparing Tyranny with IAo Van Helsing is like comparing Strike Commander and River Raid.
For me Tyranny is a fun game, which missed a couple design choices which could have made it great. Or a cult classic, if you will.
Van Helsing is pure popamole, even though the setting and design is kinda nice, I've never played such a mindless game before. On the popamole scale its even far ahead of Diablo 3 and its clones.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Extensive interview / post-morten at Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._make_it_fun_to_be_the_bad_guy_in_Tyranny.php

The total of these design decisions is an RPG that challenges notions of good and evil. Players get to feel the crooked power of being a villain but constantly bump against their own moral atlas. And when it’s all over, the important choices and reactivity of the game’s world means there are plenty of other paths for players to explore if they replay the game. Tyranny is a game that is capable of making you seriously consider smothering a baby.

Tigranes

Arcane
Unlike POE, Select All + Attack actually worked for me for much of Act 2 on POTD my first time round. It got more difficult again when I stopped bothering to train or update my sigils.

Fry

Arcane
Yah. I'm not especially good at PoE, but I blew through Tyranny on hard without effort.

Combat really is piss easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom